Why are carrying cases for automotive floor jacks going away?

Old 09-03-17, 12:58 PM
Why are carrying cases for automotive floor jacks going away?

I just purchased an Evercraft 3 ton floor jack. My old one broke. This new floor jack does not come with a plastic carrying case. I plan to keep it in my truck at all times. So I'd like to keep it in some type of case. I don't want other tools or equipment bumping into it. It came in a cardboard box. But that won't last.

What do you guys keep your floor jacks in? I looked online for something after market. Didn't find anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-17, 03:06 PM
I have never seen a carrying case for a floor jack, nor have I ever carried one in the truck, except to transport it someplace for a specific reason. It's been to long to say for sure, but I do recall at least one pickup I had that came with either no jack or maybe one that didn't work so very good, so I remember carrying a mechanical jack, but it was something that slid under or behind the seat. For the last umpteen years I just check the jack that comes with the truck to make sure it works and has enough travel to handle a fully flat or fully inflated tire and go with that.

Old 09-03-17, 05:57 PM
The factory jack that came with my truck was so bad, I threw it away many years ago. From then on, I always kept a trolley style floor jack in the truck which is much faster. My first two had plastic storage cases. There are still a few models that sell with cases. But the cases are becoming scarce.

I'll figure out something to store it in when the cardboard shipping box wears out. Thanks Pedro!

Old 09-04-17, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
I would think just about any sort of heavy duffle or tool bag of adequate size would work.

Husky 24 in. Tool Bag-GP-44448EN13 - The Home Depot

They make them pretty big, how big is the jack? Width and length?

EDIT: For that matter, what about some sort of luggage/duffle? WM has a ton and most discount and 2nd hand stores have them really cheap.

Old 09-04-17, 02:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I thought the only ones that came with cases where the small ones; 1.5 and 2 ton. Like pedro I've never carried one as the vehicle jack.

Old 09-04-17, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
I too have only seen car sized small jacks with cases.
A burlap potato sack wrapped tightly would be a cheap simple solution.

Old 09-04-17, 05:32 AM
Old 09-04-17, 04:04 PM
I just measured it. The floor jack should fit in that Husky Tool bag. The duffel bag is a good inexpensive idea too. I'm surprised more people don't carry floor jacks in their vehicles. My truck is old. Do newer cars come with faster, more powerful factory jacks?

Old 09-04-17, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I really don't need a case for my floor jack. I would have liked a case for the cordless drill that I recently bought. Instead, it came in what appears to be a cloth cooler for a few drinks & a sandwich. I bought it because it was the last drill that came with 2 batteries.

Old 09-04-17, 09:38 PM
Both my power drills came with a type of 'satchel' that has shape and form to it.

Old 09-05-17, 02:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
. I'm surprised more people don't carry floor jacks in their vehicles. My truck is old.
My truck is old [1976] and didn't have the factory jack when I bought it so I have a hydraulic bottle jack behind the seat. When I was younger all my vehicles were old but I've never considered carrying either of my floor jacks. If you keep decent tires on the vehicle and keep up with maintenance there shouldn't surprises on the road, at least not very often.

Old 09-06-17, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I agree. Even if I do get a puncture, I almost always have time to wait till I get home to change the tire. I rarely have to change a flat tire on the road. But a couple times, I got flats tires out in the desert and the floor jack sure made it faster and easier.

Geez...............this new jack is heavy. But faster than the other jacks if you can lift the thing! There is a significant weight difference between my old 2.5 ton and this 3 ton.

Last night I went camping in the Northern Arizona mountains. Got caught in a VIOLENT hail and rain storm. That new jack was in the pickup bed. But the cardboard box kept it dry. Let the jack dry in the blazing sun today just in case. That will teach me to not carry it in the truck bed.

Old 09-12-17, 09:08 PM
I'm buying the Husky Tool bag Vic suggested. A little pricey, yes. But I like the fact that is stands up with some shape and form. And you can store tools in it also. It will serve me a very long time. Done