A suggestion with respect to how this board is organized.

Old 09-06-17, 05:13 PM
A suggestion with respect to how this board is organized.

Hi,

I mostly frequent the hvac group of subforums and give advice there.

I've noticed that the way things are grouped doesn't make much sense considering the skill set required to deal with each type of equipment.

Heatpumps and Cooling systems are separate sub-forums; they operate the same way - i think they should be combined.

Electric heat which is in the same sub as heatpumps, if it doesn't include a duct or water system for distribution is electrical, not hvac -> ie baseboard heaters.

electricians would be more adept at fielding questions concerning electric heaters -> should be in the electrical forum.

Ducting/air circulation and thermostatic controls are dealt with and have everything to do with heatpumps/cooling systems and furnaces.

It just seems like there are too many sub-forums along similar lines and people would get replies faster with fewer of them.

Like if people rarely check the heatpumps sub, they'll miss a lot of questions that they could help with.

Anyhow, just my constructive criticism .

Also, anyone know who to contact to get user name changed. I contacted one mod/admin, was interested in helping me get it changed and it never got anywhere, my PMs haven't been returned.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-17, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I maybe able to address the user name issue.

As a general rule, forum admins normally... normally.... do not change user names unless there is a dire reason. Especially with 1600+ posts.
I will admit that some forum admins will but it depends on the forum & how active it is etc. There are many things for admins to consider based on the forum history, overall forum activity & user activity.

After saying that, I cant speak for the admins here & what they will do, but I hope the info I shared will at least give you some insight.

Old 09-06-17, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
The reorganizing of forums can be taken under advisement. At this point it would take a back seat to the many problems the IT people are working on trying to get the board operating again correctly,

At the present time.... Alison is the acting DIY administrator. You can send your request for a name change to her in a PM. PM_Adminstrator_Alison_

Old 09-06-17, 05:44 PM
You did some software updates or something?

I haven't had any issues.

Old 09-06-17, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
The entire board is running on what amounts to a different platform.
You didn't notice the changes on the pages ? The excitingly vivid white background ?

Old 09-06-17, 06:54 PM
oh, i noticed the changes, but not any actual problems.

i guess it's no vbulliten (sp?) any more. their stuff used to be good but went down hill - don't like the newer versions and heard the costs and licensing terms are ridiculous now.

Old 09-06-17, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
No... it's Vbulletin. Designed to be compatible with mobile as well as fixed devices.

Old 09-06-17, 07:08 PM
So just a different version.

what problems are there? i haven't had any issues myself.

Old 09-07-17, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Not necessarily problems. Just things that need to be fine tuned. A lot of these things really only affect mods.

Old 09-07-17, 10:12 AM
So far the ONLY thing I find bothersome is the lack of a box around a direct citation. I'm completely satisfied with every other aspect.

Old 09-08-17, 05:40 AM
It's fast.