weigh how much?

Old 09-15-17, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
weigh how much?

Took my wife to the doctor this morning and when she got up on the digital scale it said she weighed 169.1 lbs. She just stood there with a dumb look on her face - I think she was in shock! She had been to another doctor 2 days ago and weighed 25 lbs less so I questioned it. They reset the scale and she weighed almost 2 lbs less than the other day. Of course I've been teasing her about it ever since

On a side note she just hollered for me to come out on the deck. There is a big oak just over the hill and it's dropping acorns by the dozens [and there isn't any wind] The kittens are chasing them ..... until one of them got beaned in the head.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-17, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
As part of my daily routine I check my resting blood pressure and also after my cool down when exercising. I've gone to the doctor and they tell me my blood pressure is high. Then I pull out my sheet showing them what it is long term and that my pressure is just high because I'm looking forward to the D.R.E.

Old 09-15-17, 12:02 PM
Granted, for a long time I didn't go to the doctor as often as I should have, but when I was there in May the first one told me I was "way overweight". Well, I told him, your assistant just weighed me, and I weigh the exact same as I did when I got out of high school and was running a couple of miles a day with a canvas backpack full of bricks getting ready for my number to come up. That was over 40 years ago, and a couple of things have happened since then, like some of the muscle in my arms and chest left there and went to my stomach area, but I think I only went up 2" in pants waist over that time, so yeah, I could probably kick off a few pounds. But "way overweight"? C'mon, get serious here. So I've been exercising a bit more, and have lost about 15 lbs. over the past couple of months, but honestly don't feel any different, no better and no worse, and my body is still in transition I guess because even though I have built my muscles up some I feel that I am missing some of that extra weight when it comes to strength and stamina for heavy work.

Old 09-15-17, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
20 yrs ago I weighed 185 lbs and 6' tall. Whenever I went to the doctor they'd tell me how important it was to get my weight below 175. Once I hit 200 lbs they quit saying anything about me loosing weight. I do wish I could loose 10-15 lbs but I like to eat more than I should

My BP is also always higher at the doctors office than at home.

Old 09-15-17, 01:57 PM
My BP is also always higher at the doctors office than at home.
My wife's doctor calls it "white coat syndrome".

Old 09-15-17, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that's what my old doctor called it and my BP didn't worry him at all. My new doctor didn't subscribe to that theory - maybe they get a kickback from the pharmaceutical company

Old 09-15-17, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe you need to get anti depressant pills to go along with the high blood pressure pills.

If not.... I could suggest another type of pill.
Do you have insurance.

Old 09-15-17, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
There is a section in the RD this month about BP readings at the doc's. Just things like sitting not laying down, arm level with heart, not hanging down, keeping feet flat on the floor, taking 6 deep breaths over 30 sec before the measure, etc lowered avg BP from 5-10 pts.

I don't know why, but a few yrs back my pressure was almost always 20-25 points higher at the DRs office than at the dentist or ophthalmologist. I was borderline hypertensive and they had me on a med that lowered it a whole 5 pts or so. Of course now they think I must be having issues because it's so low. 98/55 at my last real checkup and 105/62 ish last visit. "Is it always this low?" Well now it is, and 60 lbs and 40 yrs of drinking ago it was...lol.

My doc said she didn't even recognize me when she came in the waiting room. I told her I got a haircut...

Btw...I have a good electronic scale at home (Tanita that wasn't cheap) and before I go I weigh myself. If their scales shows more than 2-3 lb different, I let them know. Mine has never been wrong, but theirs with the weights and adjustments has been.

Old 09-16-17, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The scale we have at home isn't anything special and it does lie, we often get on it prior to going to the doctor's office and it adds 7 lbs to my wife and 10 lbs to me. But we live with it and my wife has restrained the urge to do what she did to the last one - back when she was skinny it added 5lbs and she got mad, slammed it on the floor and stomped it until it no longer worked

MY BP meds have changed some over the last year. Last fall I developed a bad cough that wouldn't go away. They doctored me for everything but the right thing Even claim I have COPD because I smoked for 25 yrs .... but I've been quit for 26. Anyway, they finally decided [correctly] that it was the BP med. After I fell back in May I noticed my BP was real low and after documenting it for 6 weeks they decided to cut my dose in half.

Old 09-16-17, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, you have to be informed Mark. When they say take this...sometimes you have to say No, how about I stop taking this first? They did that with me on my BP med...I said...why? Pain meds in the hospital...nope, I'm fine, no discomfort I can't live with.

I'm so glad I've got a good doc now...she probably saved my life by sending me to the ER 18 months ago, though I thought it a pain at the time. Eventually she'll retire and I'll have to deal with someone else...sucks.

As to the scale...just get about any electronic one since they all self zero. Way better than some spring, manual adjustment, and spinning dial (if that's what you have). Heck, my $15 food scale is accurate to .01 oz or gram. Solid base and be sure to let it stabilize and yer golden.

Old 09-16-17, 03:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had a good doctor for 10 yrs or so but he up and died [only 59] My next doc was ok but no real comparison and always wanting to send me here/there for tests or whatever. I was getting used to her but she retired so now I have another one.

I believe our scale is spring loaded. She bought it close to 20 yrs ago - right after the previous one had an untimely death Other than trying to keep my weight under 200 lbs I really don't care about the scales. I'm sure watching what I eat helps more than weighing myself.