Some things in life that I just don't get

Old 09-22-17, 08:20 AM
Some things in life that I just don't get

I have been working out of town the past couple of weeks, so a couple of subcontractors and I stayed at a hotel with a very recognizable name on the outskirts of a small to medium size city. It was not fancy, but had what we wanted as far as very affordable, easy access, a roof over our heads, continental breakfast, and not far from a few decent places for dinner. All we did while there was eat, sleep, and work, so was fine in that regard. Every night though, starting at between 9:00 and 10:00, loud music and door slamming would start, and continued on until maybe 1:00 or so in the morning. Then, every morning, there were at least a couple, and the baffling part was that it wasn't always the same ones, contractors or others would start their diesel pickups or service trucks, music blaring way louder than necessary, between 4:00 and 4:30. Of course I'm only counting the ones with loud exhausts, and there was always at least one or two of them that were still sitting there running, loud noise from the exhaust and radios, when we left for the jobsite at between 6:30 and 7:00. Now all of us are very familiar with diesels, and having to warm them up, but a couple hour warm-ups with daily highs in the mid to high 80's and overnight lows in the high 60's? Seems ridiculous to me. Granted, I live in the country, so accustomed to peace and quiet, but what the heck, I'm a big boy, and end up at such places in order to pay the bills, so I can deal with it. Back in my own home, I watch the news, and wonder how people can live as they do, getting shot in their own neighborhoods, so much violence on top of violence, and I don't condone any of it, but being out of my normal environment I sure do see where pent up frustration and rage can develop over time. A lot of it has to be from one man's total disrespect for the next.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-17, 08:57 AM
Why not change motels if the stay was so miserable?

Old 09-22-17, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
A lot of it has to be from one man's total disrespect for the next.
Yep, that would be the reason people are making the noise and using the guns, etc., etc. They just don't give a hoot. Some were never taught to be considerate. Their parent/s were as bad as them. As for the people that have to deal with it on a daily basis, but wish they didn't have to, they just can't afford to move away. Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky enough to live in a quiet country.

cw, I don't think he was complaining that he was miserable, rather wondering why some people are idiots!

Old 09-22-17, 10:39 AM
CW although I guess it came across that way, I wasn't complaining about the accommodations as much as I was ranting a bit on the ways that people conduct themselves. I've seen other rants here on what boils down to lack of respect and this is just one more example. And no, the lodging was not perfect; had the wife and I been on vacation I would have been extremely disappointed, if I had even stayed. One night for example, I carried my bag to the second floor twice, and then decided to just leave it at the top of the stairs while I trekked up and down several more times without it. We had stayed there the night before, and had planned to finish that day so checked out in the morning. Things didn't go as planned, so we checked back in that evening. The first room she gave me, the key didn't work, in fact three keys in a row didn't work, so that was three trips up and down, and she gave me a different room. Got half way up the stairs and realized it was the one I had a couple days earlier, so went back and told her that I didn't want that room unless she could tell me for sure that the disgustingly dirty shower had been cleaned in the past couple of days, and she couldn't, so reassigned me. So the key worked perfectly in the third room, but when I opened the door all of the lights were on and there was a suitcase on one of the beds. Yup, turned out that the other clerk had already assigned that room but failed to log it. The key fit the fourth room, and nobody was in it, so life was finally good. The continental breakfasts were not good, and I would have taken my wife elsewhere, but we were there because that is where the work was, so a warm breakfast was all we needed, even if it was not up to what any of us would have at home. But the rooms were about $30 less than the next closest place to the jobsite, which was clearly more upscale, so their other guests probably wouldn't have appreciated us as much, walking in there at the end of the day with oil and concrete soiled clothes and boots. So you do what you need to do, and I would stay where we did again if I were working in that area, but, again, it wasn't the accommodations, it was the people.

Old 09-22-17, 10:54 AM
I totally understand where Pedro is coming from. Who wants to pay good money to be comfortable in a hotel or your home, only to have your peace and quiet disturbed by inconsiderate people or hotel staff. When I used hotels in the past, I've been disturbed by mega bass music in the parking lot, loud Christmas party, and a barking dog.........yeah can you believe it, a dog barking non-stop in a motel room.

I remember I had to stay in a hotel overnight in Atlanta after a flight cancellation. It was winter and 40 degrees out, and they didn't even provide sufficient bed linen to provide warmth. I called the front desk and they sent someone up with something that looked like drapery for the windows. Maybe it was a bed spread. But definitely not a blanket.

Have you ever checked into a motel room with a bad TV or other faulty appliance? Or they stick you in the room next to the noisy elevator shaft when you're trying to sleep at night?

I never hesitate to complain in a hotel.

Old 09-22-17, 11:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never understood the loud music. I painted one house where I had my van backed up to the house with the radio on. Getting close to quitting time the workers across the road cranked up their work van presumably to turn on the AC] and their radio drowned out mine and their windows were rolled up!

I usually don't complain at a hotel/motel but a lot depends on what the complaint is and whether or not I expect to spend another night there. I'm not crazy about motels as there always seems to be too much traffic and light to suit me.

Old 09-22-17, 01:15 PM
I sorta' misunderstood your point. I knew that you were complaining about the noisemakers (and I agree that there are too many inconsiderate people around) and not the accommodations but I didn't understand why you put up with it.

Old 09-22-17, 02:05 PM
Well, I checked the one hotel that I mentioned being close to the jobsite, and it was about $30 more per night, plus it didn't appear anyway to be a "working man's" type of quarters. Not that most people don't understand other people getting dirty, nor would I ever feel small or allow anyone to make me feel that way, but there are some places that you walk into as dirty as I knew we would be some days and some places that you don't, or at least that's my opinion. And yeah, we had noticed a couple of other places that we could have tried, but, based on what the internet showed there prices were pretty close and they didn't have as good parking places for one of our larger trucks, nor for long pipe on a pickup truck. So we ended up where we did, and, again, it was okay, just okay, but still okay, except for some of the other occupants. So what to do about that? Well, I know what I would have done 20-30 years ago, because I actually did confront my share, maybe more than my share, of people who were unruly, misbehaving, or whatever, and it didn't matter if it was myself or to someone else. But, being my age today, as long as nobody is being physically harmed, I have more tolerance. Report it to the desk? No way that they couldn't hear it, so it was a case of not caring for the concerns of other guests, not wanting to call the police on rowdy paying guests, or who knows, so I did what I was there to do and slept through most of it. Nevertheless it just seems a shame to me that some people can be so inconsiderate or what have you.

Old 09-22-17, 09:45 PM
Sometimes it's better to choose you're battles and only complain about the major transgressions.
In the past, there were times when I came on too strong to voice my displeasure with inconsiderate neighbors or others. Nowadays I'm more likely to be polite, courteous, even friendly, but also direct.