Solar Power Recommendation

Old 11-14-17, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Solar Power Recommendation

I had solar power installed recently, I put if off for years because I thought there was some kind of catch and I didn't trust the sales people.
It's up and running and I couldn't be happier. In theory it's generating about 28 kWh a day.

I was paying over 40 cents per kWh (above baseline which isn't much). They also installed a new 200A panel at no charge.
Anyone in CAL or other expensive states should seriously consider solar.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-17, 07:57 PM
Brian,

My daughter did and she was really pleased. Lebanon, PA area.

I live in Western New York and have considered it very seriously. I missed my chance when New York State ended the incentive. I think they may have re-instated it. I might look at it again. I have a southern exposed roof that has no trees and is always clear to the open sky. And snow very seldom accumulates due to wind currents (it drifts big time on the attached garage roof). I understand my area of the country has a very large amount of sunshine on average in spite of our winters.

But I might also consider solar for my son's cabin that I'm the current care taker of. Only problem is the large amount of tree coverage.

Old 11-14-17, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
I was paying over 40 cents per kWh (above baseline which isn't much)
40 cents over baseline ? What does that mean.
40 cents per kwh is already high..... especially compared to mine which is around .10/kwh.

Old 11-14-17, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
It's all about the Benjamins that your State (or Fed) is offering in direct rebates to the installer (not tax deductions or offsets to you) and also what the regs are with your utility. There was a big brouhaha here when the power companies were going to buy back the excess at the absolute lowest rate, no matter when it was, but the consumer still paid at his standard rates. So, they would buy from you at peak times when you might not yet be home but pay you for the way off peak rates. I don't know what happened but it would have negated one of the advantages being touted.

I've noticed you will see more flyers and TV/radio ads when there is some sort of Government deal and when those go away, so do all the advertisements. Few people could afford solar purely out of pocket, even if they do see an immediate electric bill savings.

I mean, we've got it all here, solar AND wind (we have solar fields all over and a few giant windmills just over the hills), but about the only homes you see it on are those built in the last 10 yrs. You know, the ones that need it the least due to better home building practices , more efficient appliances, etc. Some of the older ones have long dead solar water/home heating, but few have PV.

Old 11-14-17, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
When he said over baseline, he probably meant after the first 400 Kwh or whatever. Thats what mine is, over 400, I pay a very small addl charge per.

Old 11-14-17, 10:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Baseline amount and cost varies, but basically I can use 288 kWh @ 21 cents. Above 288 costs 43 cents.
With the solar I am paying a set amount each month, saving hundreds of dollars a month. I will also get a credit once a year for energy that goes back to the grid.
I didn't buy the system, that's not a good deal and you probably won't save anything, that's where they get you.

If you are paying only .10 per kWh, Ignore this post, you already have it made

Old 11-14-17, 10:46 PM
Group Moderator
I have my own in-house solar system. There are a good many solar systems in my area. A few of my neighbors have them. One pays $98 a month for his electric usage..... period..... year round. His average bill was close to $200.

Old 11-15-17, 05:23 AM
I have 19.44kWh system here in PA. on a decent SW facing roof with little tree blockage late in the day. It never makes 19kWh and peaks near 15 on the best of days. My cost to MetEd is around 12.7/kWh. I get 1:1 for my overage:usage and it banks and carries to the end of their fiscal year, which is sometime in May. The system has only been in one full year and we got a credit to the account of around $60, which they used up for the monthly 'account fee', the fixed fee we pay regardless of usage. My house is a yuuuugee all electric house and we use less than half of it (got a deal we couldn't resist). The Federal Gubment was, and to my knowledge still is, giving a 30% tax credit. In other words they pay 30% of the installation fee, we got nothing from PA. Since my taxes are less than the 30% the balance carries over and I have not paid Federal income tax for two years now (the solar installation is not the only factor in play here). We took out a home equity loan to finance the array and the loan payments are less than the value of the electricity we make.