car door handle locks

Old 11-22-17, 04:03 AM
car door handle locks

Maybe this should go in auto but I don't have a problem or have a question as such. Just more discussion and than anything else. Mods, please change if necessary.

Cars have only one key lock located on the driver side door (I remember when all 4 doors had key locks). I recently saw a picture (in Facebook I think) that says all doors have locks in them but are covered with a cap. If you look closely the passengers doors on most cars do have a cap where the key lock would normally go. So it said that it you remove that cover or cap, a key lock will be exposed. Does anybody know if this is true?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-17, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
My car does not have a cap where the lock would go so I assume there truly is only a lock on the drivers door.

Old 11-22-17, 05:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What year cars have caps? If that exists & you remove the cap, my guess would be that a hole would be there not the lock.

Old 11-22-17, 08:43 AM
I've never seen a car that had key locks on the rear doors. I remember when in college a friend had an old Chevy pickup that only had a key lock on the passenger door. My 2009 Toyota has key locks on both front doors.

I suspect that the reason why only one key lock is that electric locks are now standard equipment on most cars. Whether using a wireless remote or the key lock you can lock and unlock all the doors.

Old 11-22-17, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember when in college a friend had an old Chevy pickup that only had a key lock on the passenger door
My 1951 Ford F1 pickup only has a keyed lock on the passenger door. Remember the old movies where everyone got in/out of the passenger door, even the driver.

Old 11-22-17, 01:44 PM
Guys, here's what I'm talking about.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hidd...GNW2Mr01Gj5JM:

Apparently some cars have them.

Old 11-22-17, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wonder if that is on cheaper cars where some models don't have electric locks? so they have to have them exposed for the cheaper model .... do they still make cars that don't have a key fob ??

Old 11-23-17, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just went out to check, my 04 Ford Freestar has the caps on all 4 doors. Don't know if locks are under them.

Old 11-23-17, 04:47 AM
I wonder if that is on cheaper cars where some models don't have electric locks?
Actually I would think just the opposite. I suspect all the handles are equipped to take a lock, but in order keep cost down none will have them installed.

Old 11-23-17, 03:44 PM
At least one door will have a mechanical lock. It is in case the vehicle battery is totally discharged as the electric locks would not function.

Old 12-04-17, 02:50 PM
If there WERE key locks under the caps, WHY would the manufacturer go the expense and trouble of covering them up? In all the late model cars I've owned, I've never seen any evidence of "caps" on the door handles. I've never seen keyed locks installed on a four door car's rear doors.

Old 12-04-17, 03:54 PM
I've never seen keyed locks installed on a four door car's rear doors.
You must be under 40 Years. Years ago both front doors had key locks installed. Not the rear doors on a 4 door sedan.

And yes cost is a factor along with the passenger side being almost useless.

Old 12-04-17, 05:15 PM
Norm, you're slipping. Beachboy stated he had never seen all four doors on a car with key locks as did I back in post #4. Please show us ONE vehicle that DID have key locks on the rear passenger cars other than perhaps a van.

I don't know how old he is but both of us are definitely older than 40 years.

And WHY is a passenger-side key lock "almost useless"? If a person is parked next to a sidewalk and has a passenger, is it not common courtesy to unlock that door for the passenger before walking around the car to get behind the wheel? I have also used the passenger side lock when my car is in the driveway when I wanted to get something from the passenger side of the seat.

Old 12-05-17, 03:38 AM
Yes, I'm slipping!

Upon further investigation, no 4 door cars had key locks on the rear doors. They say two things begin to go as you age. The first is memory, the second is...I can't remember.

As far as passenger doors? I said almost useless. You won't find them anymore. And why? Cost and not necessary. But even before electronic locks became common I noticed passenger door locks were becoming less and less frequent.

When does a husband open the car door for the wife? When the car is new or the wife is new!

What I would like to know is what car does have those "hidden" locks under the cap?

Old 12-05-17, 04:16 AM
With me it is the ability to spell that is being lost.

Whether or not it is "almost" or totally useless is a matter of degree. I know that I use the passenger side door lock often enough that I would miss not having one.

As for which cars have the hidden locks, I have no idea. I pay almost no attention to cars these days beyond my own car; and even that I don't pay much attention to.

Old 12-07-17, 07:45 PM
Norm, apology accepted. bud! For the record, I'm not a young'un, going to be 66 in less than two months. But I wonder if what some people see as " hidden doorlocks" are really covers over fastening screws that attach their door handles to the sheetmetal? I don't see any sort of "cover" on the handles of either my '97 Explorer or my 2010 Mercury.