Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

A new type of scam?

NY

12-06-17, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)  
A new type of scam?

I just received this on my answering machine.

If you can listen to it you'll find that their dept (what department?) is investigating my whole family. They claim they tried to contact me over the past six months. They are now going to now issue a suit via the Canadian government. They don't say what the suit or investigation is about or why. I must call their number (which to my ears is unintelligible) to find out the details.

This is a link to ONE-DRIVE with a copy of the recording. (btw... Any way to upload recording to this site?)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am9txQMHh6XE3BR0K_8Fq2cRr6c3

Now I have to admit, it is a bit disconcerting to hear this, but I know it a scam from the get go. I would like to report it to the authorities but I don't know who or how to report it.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-06-17, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)  
According to the news there are several similar type scams floating around our area threatening folks with law suits or jail fines unless they promptly pay up. A little surprised they'd leave a message on a machine - doesn't that give the victim a little bit of evidence against them?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

FL

12-06-17, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)  
The one I've heard about most often is a call that says they have a warrant on you, but you can make it go away by paying them, blah, blah, blah.

My most recent call received from a scammer was the kind from "Microsoft" telling me there's a problem with my computer. I asked him if his mother knew what he did for a living. He didn't like that much.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

12-06-17, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Pretty soon we will be getting the one where they call and say they IRS and you owe money and if you don't pay right now the sheriff is at the door.

Super Moderator

NJ

12-06-17, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)  
I called the #... It sounded like an Indian girl that picked up.. She said.. " Hello internal revenue center how may I help you" I said sorry wrong # and hung up... LOL

Geez I hope they dont call me back... ha ha...

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

NJ

12-06-17, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Its a mobile # and (206) is a Washington (WA) area code

Major cities: Seattle, Mercer Island, Bainbridge Island

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

NJ

12-06-17, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)  
You can report the # through the white pages... Click view details...

https://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-206-225-9906

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

NY

12-06-17, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Thanks Mike. I'm going to report it.

CAL

12-06-17, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Almost every call you will get is a scam unless it's from some one you know or are expecting the call, just don't answer any of them. The one that they try to get you on is when they call and the person says something like they are having trouble with their headset and ask if you can hear them. Human nature is to say yes but the problem is they are recording you and later use your voice saying yes as an authorization for some type of fraud against you. Let the answering machine take all calls.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-06-17, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)  
Of course it's a scam..... NO government agency would ever call to say you're being investigated. No investigator would ever call either.

You're right.... it is disconcerting and does sound legit. That's what they are hoping for.
It's strange that phone number has no other mentions of scam attached to it. No previous callers with any unwanted calls. That makes me think it's a disposaphone. When I do an in depth search it shows as a landline owned by Broadwing Communications and located in Seattle. Lots of spoofing going on in the phone industry.

~ Pete ~

MD

12-06-17, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)  
IRS impersonator scams are so rampant now that the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) actually has an online form for reporting them: https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/conta...ort_scam.shtml

Group Moderator

WI

12-06-17, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)  
Another possibility:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0038-spam
That link is specifically for email but there might be something addressing phone calls (I admit I did not perform any diligence in searching, I just copied this link from my browser because I used to use it to report spam).

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-06-17, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)  
unless it's from some one you know or are expecting the call, just don't answer any of them
I liked to never got my wife to follow that advice ..... but her no account nephew who is back in jail finally convinced her. He calls every week, multiple times wanting her to send him money. Can you believe the jail charges $14.99 for the first 10 minutes Now she only answers if she knows the number and it's someone she wants to talk to

Group Moderator

NJ

12-06-17, 05:40 PM   #14 (permalink)  
These perps are shrewd and smart. They have it down to an art getting your money out of the country without being traced.

~ Pete ~

WA

12-06-17, 09:48 PM   #15 (permalink)  
I've been getting one that shows as my area code, my prefix and only the last four digits are different. They NEVER leave a voice mail. I may have once inadvertently answered and gotten someone telling me that I had recently stayed at one of their resorts. I told them nope and hung up.

Got one today while at the optometrist. Strange (to me) area code and no message so I ignored it. Got another tonight from a strange area code. This one did leave a message, from my Medicare Advantage pharmacy wanting me to call back. This was (of course) a computer and as usual they butchered my last name. No, I won't call them back, they are supposed to contact me via E-mail.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-06-17, 11:12 PM   #16 (permalink)  
I've been getting one that shows as my area code, my prefix and only the last four digits are different.
I have Verizon wireless and get the same calls once or twice a week. I ignore them.

~ Pete ~

MD

12-06-17, 11:23 PM   #17 (permalink)  
I get the same thing. I can understand the logic of spoofing the area code and exchange, at least with landlines. You know, on the off chance that somebody who lives near me, and who knows my number, but I don't know theirs, is trying to call me. But with everyone having cells anymore, plus number portability, it's obsolete.

Oh, and I got a robo call from the mail order pharmacy the other day. I didn't recognize the number, so I sent it to voicemail. I guess their robot started talking as soon as my robot answered, because all I got was, "... to hear these options again, press three. I'm sorry, I didn't get that. I'm sorry, I didn't get that. ... Goodbye." It's the 21st century and we can't teach our robo call to wait for the greeting to be done?

MI

12-06-17, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)  
The one I've heard about most often is a call that says they have a warrant on you, but you can make it go away by paying them, blah, blah, blah.
And then then people will pay off the scam with some type of prepaid gift card. I dont feel sorry for them but realize it's somebody mom/dad getting duped!

This is why I have not had a land line in 12 years, I still get a call once in awhile but at least I have the option to block a number.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-07-17, 04:05 AM   #19 (permalink)  
I still have a landline with no plans of getting rid of it. The calls that get me are the ones that have my phone number on the caller ID. More than once I've answered without paying good attention thinking it said mark jr, not mark sr above the number ... and I should know better since his cellphone doesn't give a name on the caller ID

WA

12-07-17, 12:55 PM   #20 (permalink)  
Got another one with my area code and prefix but different last four digits about a half-hour ago. Nope, as soon as I saw that number I ignored it.l As usual, no VM.

VT

12-07-17, 01:59 PM   #21 (permalink)  
I have one repetitive caller who uses the Name and Number of Maurice, a person who lived near me; but who I know for a fact died about 2 years ago . . . . so I've complained to the Telephone Company (FairPoint Communications); but only they can only say that they have received complaints but can't disclose how it's being dealt with.

It's just weird receiving calls from a Dead Person . . . . Rest in peace, Maurice !

NH

12-08-17, 05:38 AM   #22 (permalink)  
You should not return calls to strange area codes. It could be to some foreign country with a big surcharge.

Or you can try calling collect.

Regardless you should not give out information and not answer questions about yourself.

Search this Thread