Kidde fire extinguisher recall

Old 12-27-17, 01:47 PM
Kidde fire extinguisher recall

Since we're talking about fire extinguishers... Or maybe we weren't, but since I brought it up just wondering if anyone else is waiting on their replacements. On November 2, which I think was the day the recall was announced, I submitted applications for replacement of three affected extinguisher that I had, and have received one, but still waiting for the other two. And I did submit an inquiry via their website about a week ago, but, as I imagined at the time, have not heard anything. I know they had a bunch of them, in the millions, so not being impatient, but have no way of knowing if they are even processing my order or if it got lost someplace in the shuffle. Am thinking that I could resubmit the application for them, but that could turn into a hassle if they end up sending four and I only have two to return.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-17, 02:27 PM
I received my replacement extinguisher a couple of weeks ago. They tell you to return the old unit in the same box that the replacement came in. The problem I have is that the the new extinguisher is shorter than the old one. Both are 10-A-B units, but the old one is 17" tall and the new one is 14". The boxes (extinguisher box plus brown cardboard box) are too short to accept the old unit. I called the customer service number on the sheet that came with the replacement, but the person I spoke to didn't know anything about the extinguishers. He told me to call Kidde to verify that I received the correct replacement. I called Kidde and the woman I spoke to said that it is the correct replacement and that she would send me a larger box to return the old unit. I'll have to wait and see if I ever get a new box.

Has anyone else run into this situation?

Old 12-27-17, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
I received the replacement for my larger extinguisher several weeks ago but the smaller one didn't arrive until right before Christmas.

Old 12-27-17, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
I'm lucky... I have a company in the next town over that services extinguishers and they swapped them for me in a few days.

Old 12-27-17, 05:09 PM
I submitted one on Nov. 7th and haven't heard a thing. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and got no reply so I re-submitted the claim.

Old 12-28-17, 02:32 AM
I think I will follow your lead, Ron, and resubmit an application today. I was a little reluctant to do that because I don't want to have to mess around returning additional ones if they duplicate the order, but don't want to end up with nothing either. I did try my local fire and safety shop, but they don't handle Kidde, so although they will service any brand serviceable ones they couldn't handle the exchange on the smaller recalled units.

Old 12-28-17, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
I never heard of or saw this thread for some reason...but I checked last night and submitted my claim. Boy, their stock is gonna take a hit on this...37 MILLION affected I think it said?

Old 12-28-17, 12:43 PM
I couldn't even determine if mine was subject to the recall. It definitely has a plastic handle but nothing on the label corresponded to the information in the recall notice.

Old 12-28-17, 01:13 PM
You're right GG, there are a lot of them, so I understand if they are running behind, but I got one within a couple of weeks and haven't received the other two, so figured it was worth seeing what others were running into. Furd, you should be able to at least confirm whether or not yours is affected. Keep looking for a model number, or at least something that could be one. I had two with the same model number and one with a different model number that were affected. Then I had two more with a different model number that was on the list, but when I reached the point of entering the serial number their system told me they were not affected. I guess my point is that the site seems to be relatively complete and interactive, so, as long as it is a Kidde, or manufactured by Kidde and sold under another name, you should be able to check their status.

Old 12-28-17, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I threw mine away a year or so ago when I needed it and even though the gauge claimed it was fully charged - it didn't work. I suspect mine might have been covered by the recall but no way to know for sure. Not the first time I've not gotten what was owed to me ..... not that I'll loose any sleep over it. Glad some of y'all are getting new extinguishers for free!

Old 01-08-18, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Got mine via FedEx today...not bad considering the holiday.

Old 01-12-18, 01:14 PM
I received my last two replacement fire extinguishers yesterday, so everything is good again, except... I applied for two 1A10BC and received two 3A40BC. And these have metal valves, not plastic, so don't know if they are behind on exact replacements for the type I had and intentionally substituted these, or if they're overwhelmed with orders and got the details mixed up. Anyway, bigger is better, I guess, so we'll be happy with them, but now I have to install new brackets and lower because I held one of them up for my wife last night and they're just enough heavier that it looks like it might be a struggle for her to grab these from where I had hung the original ones.