Only suckers vote...

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-17, 06:48 PM
Only suckers vote...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-17, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
I would think more and more people would see that too... but they never seem to catch on.

Old 12-30-17, 08:20 PM
deleted.......................

Old 12-30-17, 08:21 PM
Just curious

Perhaps the OP would like to say where he's from.

Old 12-30-17, 08:23 PM
canada...................................

Old 12-31-17, 03:08 AM
Thanks for letting me know.

The fact is, though, that voting is about a lot more than change. It's about direction, ideals, and what we want for our country, community, neighbors, families, and ourselves.

Beyond that, change itself is meaningless. If you want to change the color of your house do you just go to the store and pick up the can with the fancy label?

It's obvious that doesn't work for paint or elections.

Old 12-31-17, 04:10 AM
OK. I'm not sure what the OP is referring to, but voting does count! As Tony says, it shows a trend and compass direction of a society. The more votes the better the read and the more sway a majority vote has. And yes the pendulum swings both ways over time.

ps... We really need customized or personal avatars on this site!

Old 12-31-17, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If voting is for suckers - I guess I am one ..... and proudly so! I've voted in every national election since I became of age and most of the local elections. I know my vote is only one but if I and a million others didn't vote - who'd run/lead our country?

Old 12-31-17, 04:53 AM
but if I and a million others didn't vote - who'd run/lead our country?
A King, by divine right! Or a ruthless dictator by force.

Old 12-31-17, 05:29 AM
Mid term elections are on the way, will be very interesting to see if the population approves of the

direction, ideals, and what we want for our country, community, neighbors, families, and ourselves

Old 12-31-17, 05:58 AM
Does voting count? No.

I've been voting since I was 21, the 18-year-old vote was inaugurated the year after I turned 21. With very few exceptions the candidates I voted for never won. The issues I voted for almost always lost and the issues I voted against almost always won. My "voice" was simply ignored.

The one time I wrote to "my" congressional representative the form letter I received made it clear that whoever read the letter (assuming it WAS read) ignored my stance. Same thing when I wrote to my state representative.

At the national level you have only only four votes; two senators, one representative, and the team of president and vice-president. You have NO vote whatsoever when it comes to any other government official at the national level. You have almost no say in who gets to run for these five positions unless you devote YEARS to supporting a particular political party and even then the likelihood of getting a candidate that you fully support on the ballot is slim. In partisan elections it is the party bosses that call the shots, not the rank-and-file citizens.

I could go on for pages.

Old 12-31-17, 07:56 AM
It's at the most basic local level that voting and involvement mean the most. And if one can get enough people to vote at that level, it has a snowball effect and can or will affect higher levels of voting. It's at the city, state levels that things like mandates, education and taxes are most effected. But it takes a voice from the grass roots level to make it happen.

I don't blame politicians completely for the apparent lack of good government. They tend to listen to the constituents who make the most noise. That tends to be the fringe or minority (and I don't mean race) concerning a topic or problem. They will listen and re-act to who makes themselves known, for good or bad. If it's one person they're called a gadfly, if a group it's called concerned citizens.

In my area we have a few politicians who seem to care more so than in then past. Unfortunately they are not my party of choice.

Furd, like you the majority of my choices, both candidates and issues tend to loose. But that won't stop me. I consider myself as the loyal opposition. And I'm not afraid to tout my my choices. I'm a Trump backer. Although I don't agree with a lot of what he says or how he says it. But at this particular junction of our world situation I think he is needed. Oops, did not mean to turn this into a political statement. Regardless of who or what you support I urge everyone to keep voting, and that includes our neighbors to the north.

Old 12-31-17, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
As long as this stays non-partisan, it stays...if it goes off the rails, it's gone.

And I disagree completely. Voting starts at a much lower level than Senators and Representatives. I look at our 7 member City Council, and 4 of the 5 new members elected, I voted for. Local State Representative few years ago, actually close, but my candidate (and my dentist as well) won, and has been re-elected. Local Sheriff...well, not my choice, but seems to be doing a good job. It goes on and on.

Locally and regionally at least, you pretty much have to realize if you are in a minority, either on issues, or Party (if that's the way you roll), you'll likely see your vote as "not counting", even though it does indeed count. If nothing else, it give those supporters of an issue or a candidate a view of what groups need to be targeted/educated or why people were dissatisfied.

Personally, I think our way is better than some, that have 4-5 or more groups in authority, and the head man/woman has to have a coalition before they can even have a functional government. No coalition? Ok, we boot that boss man/lady and have another vote...jeez.

And of course, there's always the old adage...don't complain if you didn't vote.

Old 12-31-17, 11:09 AM
So I'm not american, but if I was the choice last time would have been between a horrible crooked globalist and a unqualified narcissistic mad man who had good ideas mixed up with a lot of horrible crap.

In my country, the choices last time were horrible too, just one vote for a mp belonging to a party and the number of mps elected determines who gets to govern.

(i don't even get to choose my prime minister. the american system has a lot of stuff i don't like but one good thing going for it is that candidates initially are selected by the people, not party insiders.)

(except last time the crooked clintons rigged the democratic convention against bernie sanders)

my choices last time in canada:

1. a former drama teacher teacher who only got in with his father's name, who's a globalist and believes in unchecked free trade/immigration and giving our resources away

2. A horrible authoritarian hard right nut job who's also believes in unchecked free trade and giving our resources away.

They're all in cahoots with special interest groups and don't give a crap about the voter.

it's the same case on the provincial level; i think they're all fiscally irresponsible, will say anything to get elected and all will run my province into the ground because they have similar policies; pandering to special interest groups to get in.

Old 12-31-17, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
As I said...as soon as it got nasty, it's closed. User10, you should get an infraction, but I'm letting it slide in the holiday spirit.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread