Flu shots

Old 01-18-18, 01:56 PM
Flu shots

We got our Medicare billing summary today for our flu shots.

My wife got it at her doctors office. Cost - $54 for the vaccine and $50 for the injection. Medicare was billed $104.

I got mine at a chain drug store. Cost $49 for the vaccine and $17.96 for the injection. The pharmacy billed Medicare $66.

Wife waited a half hour for hers. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Maybe drug stores should expand the service i.e. Dr says you need a tetanus shot - get it at the drug store.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-18, 02:28 PM
Makes one wonder!

The only thing that kind of bothers me is the people administering the injections. Up until this year I was able to get my flu shot through the Red Cross volunteers at my church. They used registered nurses and had at least two experienced nurses if and when there were any new nurses in training. I felt very secure in how they operated. By contrast I'm trusting a pharmacist (maybe an assistant) who has multitude of other responsibilities. And Most seem to be very young! Their major concern is not my flu shot, but there getting through the day doing their usual job. I'm not say they don't do a good job or are careless. It's just that I'm not comfortable with some stranger.

Old 01-18-18, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Heck, I can give a shot that is only IM. These are all pre-filled disposable injections IIRC, no filling from a vial or dose calculations based on weight.

Old 01-19-18, 05:03 AM
I find the facts from the OP a bit strange - not suggesting they're incorrect. I always assumed charges to Medicare were higher than allowable and Medicare would pay only the allowable amount. OP is saying the drug store billed Medicare under the amount allowable which sounds a little foolish to me.

I suspect that what happened is a little different than described. There are (I believe) nearly 30 billing codes for flu shots and the two shots had different codes. And probably different shots, as well.

Old 01-19-18, 05:37 AM
Tony P - Are you saying that I invented this? The situation is exactly as described. They have the exact same billing code both for the vaccine and the administration. Wanna' see the claim sheet? Incidentally, the summary notice doesn't indicate "amount allowed", only amount charged $17.96. amount approved $17.96 and amount paid $17.60.

Norm - The guy that gave me the shot was the pharmacist not one of the assistants. I don't know if that is store policy . He did seem very young, but then most people under 50 seem very young to me. As Gunguy posted IM shots from a precharged needle are kinda foolproof.

Old 01-19-18, 06:24 AM
Tony P - Are you saying that I invented this? The situation is exactly as described. They have the exact same billing code both for the vaccine and the administration. Wanna' see the claim sheet? Incidentally, the summary notice doesn't indicate "amount allowed", only amount charged $17.96. amount approved $17.96 and amount paid $17.60.
Sorry if I didn't come across properly - especially to someone from Connecticut - but I did say "not suggesting they're incorrect". I do, though, find it surprising that the drug store would charge Medicare less than Medicare was willing to pay. I'm on Medicare as well and have always seen amount paid by Medicare to be substantially less than amount charged.

Old 01-19-18, 08:44 AM
Actually the flu shot this year is useless, they guessed wrong on the strain so it's only about 25% effective.

Old 01-19-18, 09:48 AM
My criteria is that if the shot doesn't hurt, they know what they're doing! But all kidding aside, I assume anybody who administers vaccines has to have some basic training and licensing by the state health department.

Old 01-19-18, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
has to have some basic training and licensing by the state health department.
Traing...of course. Licensing? Very doubtful.

Old 01-19-18, 11:27 AM
Vic - Pharmacists are licensed to give shots although requirements vary state to state. It comes with their license as a pharmacist the same way as medical doctors and licensed nurses are also authorized to give shots. Apparently there are some states that require specific training and some require a separate license.

I oughta' know because I googled it.

Old 01-19-18, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I was going by what I'd experienced here. Def not a pharmacist, they were just techs (according to their name tags, but I guess they could have been pharmacy students in training). And of course...this is AZ. You need to have ridiculous amounts of class time and training to cut someones hair (1500-1600 hrs of classroom time)...but you can just put up a sign to do tattoos. Hmmm, I guess that makes sense...not.

Old 01-19-18, 04:06 PM
Can Barbers still pull teeth ?

Old 01-19-18, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
No need....everyone keeps them in a glass by the bed anyway.