T12 to LED conversion

Old 01-28-18, 09:48 AM
T12 to LED conversion

I believe that I have posted in regard to the title subject and that others have, so just wanted to share. I initially installed nine 96" double T12 fluorescent fixtures in my home shop, and the spacing and amount of light was perfect, and I'm stubborn sometimes, so why change if it works. But after months of pondering, in the meanwhile having a few more tubes and at least one more ballast to replace, it was time. Last week I picked up a conversion kit and four 48" LED bulbs with integrated drivers at the local electrical supply house, and switched one of them from two 96" fluorescent to four 48" LED's to see how I liked it. Less than $60 per fixture, maybe an hour out of the day, no ballasts to go bad, and I couldn't be happier with the amount and quality of light. Next stop this week is back at the supply house to get kits and bulbs for the remaining fixtures, then it's just a matter of trying to figure how to get a ladder under some of them because the shop is a little more full than when originally hung the fixtures. If you're contemplating something like this, just do it, because I'm now sure that you won't be disappointed.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-18, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Were those 96" fixtures the type that used two 96" tubes or four 48" tubes ?

Old 01-28-18, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Moved thread as it is not really a question, but still a good topic.

I just changed 6 8' T12 HO fixtures to tandem 4' T8 LED lamps. Brackets were about $12 each and lamps about $10 each plus labor. The brightness level was about 2x the brightness or so at about 1/4 the wattage.

Old 01-28-18, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
So you had to cut the metal pan for two additional sockets ?

Old 01-28-18, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Me? No. You remove all the old sockets and install new sockets with the brackets provided. This is the kit I used: https://www.engproducts.com/products...nversion-Kits/

The sockets are shunted but the LED lamps we use you feed the hot and neutrals to opposite ends of the lamp. Makes for a fast install.

Old 01-28-18, 11:16 AM
My originals use two 96" bulbs. The conversion kits comes with two new end pieces with two tombstones each, and a center piece with two sets of two tombstones, back to back. So you screw these three pieces to the original trough with self tapping screws, and the pieces have the slots so that you put the canopy back in place with the original quarter turn retainers. No cutting, just a couple of self tapping screws, then it goes back together just like normal. I can't get the picture to post, and I'm sure there are probably dozens of different ones out there, but I used Epco 14051 if you want to google them.

Oh, and the sockets in the kits I used are T8, so I imagine there are a lot of LED options that would fit, and maybe I could have spent less on the bulbs. But I went with integrated drivers in order to eliminate the need for ballasts because I have three relatively new electronic ballasts, but six older ones, and at least one of those needed to be replaced, so this way made more sense, to me anyway.

Old 01-29-18, 05:13 AM
For me the best part is I can walk into my garage when it's well below zero and have instant daylight, well worth the price.