maple tapping

Old 02-01-18, 10:58 AM
Cool maple tapping

just wondering if anyone has tapped their maple trees yet, I am in northeast pa and usually tap in the 1st or second week of feb. I was thinking of tapping last week but decided to wait a little longer until weather gets a little more consistent, I'm just a back yard tapper usually 10-15 taps with buckets

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-18, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Lucky you!

Tree tapping depends on consistent daytime temps above freezing and nighttime below freezing.
This will not be for another two months for us.

Last season we tapped a few trees early in the season and when they began producing reasonable amounts tapped the rest.

Old 02-02-18, 07:52 AM
good luck when you do start tapping, hopefully it will be a good year, did you ever get into tapping birch

Old 02-03-18, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
No.
We don't have any Birch on our lot and are still feeling out the whole sugaring experience.
Last year we gathered 100 litres of maple sap to make 2 litres of syrup.
It was a good pastime for a time of year that is in-between seasons.
We need to improve our boiling down equipment because it took a lot of propane using a turkey cooking pot.
Need to come up with an evaporation pan that would boil down more quickly for less cost.

Old 02-03-18, 07:50 AM
Having the property and trees is usually accompanied by having lots of wood to burn. Using wood to boil down the sap is a bit more challenging, but far less expensive. 50 to 1, guess I'll keep buying mine from a local farm .

Bud

Old 02-03-18, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
I hear what you are saying about the work.
It's just like fishing or hunting........meat from the grocery store is a bargain compared to harvesting it yourself !

Old 02-03-18, 11:31 AM
I agree, nothing taste better than $50 a pound venison .

Bud

Old 02-06-18, 06:31 AM
I just use cinderblocks to make a little fire pit put a grate across it and use 2 turkey roasters to boil, it really get it boiling and is still a long process, I boil it down as much as I can then bring in the house to finish it, this works pretty good for me, it is a great time of year for this nothing else going on and if I am lucky the weather is good on my days off where I don't mind sitting out side. I also make some maple candy which is delicious. if you don't mind giving up some syrup? I usually make smoked kielbasa and sausage with my deer meat, again takes time but I enjoy doing it breaks the winter up.

Old 02-14-18, 10:48 AM
I have a 2000 Acre Sugarbush directly across the road from me (about 14,000 Taps on a Gravity Pipeline).

I just noticed that they drew out their first Sap of the year yesterday . . . . just 500 Gallons; but that's how it starts.

The acreage across from me is only a collection area, and even though it's equipped with a Vacuum Pump and a Reverse Osmosis unit, they take the reduced sap (reduced by over 50%) off by truck to a facility 5 miles north of me where it is boiled down to render the actual end product . . . . Maple Syrup.

I think this is very early . . . . the trees must put a natural anti-freeze into that sap.

Old 02-20-18, 01:56 PM
wow that is a lot of taps, I tapped feb. 15 ran good for while then the weather turned, yesterday and today flowing great, did my first boil today, hopefully another one Thursday. I think weather is getting to warm now no freezing temps at night for awhile.glad this is just a hobby for me and not have to worry about the weather to much