Any idea what this was?

Old 02-01-18, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Any idea what this was?

Picked it up from a giveaway pile. Will probably disassemble and use parts for something...eventually. Just wondering what it could be. Notice theres a hole in the bottom back with a grommet, like for power cords or similar. Was thinking some sort of electronics display with hooks for hanging items for sale like headphones? Arms with suction cups for a glass shelf maybe? Probably shouldn't have mentioned anything...now that's stuck in your heads right?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-18, 10:36 AM
no idea, maybe and old electric chair, or a shoe shine station, hard to tell how big it is from picture, interesting though

Old 02-01-18, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Electric chair, lol! Maybe an old retail shelving unit. Doubt it was for electronics tho. Maybe for hanging small items on.
Can only guess tho as it doesn't look familiar to me.

Old 02-01-18, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
The mat it's sitting on is about 22" deep and it's just a standard washer and dryer so those are what...about 40" tall?

I figure it's some sort of display also. The hooks on the sides have one more position down that they could be moved to, but it could be that 2 were just lost. The wide legs would seem to be overly large for normal use, but not for safety in a public place.

Old 02-01-18, 12:11 PM
Marq or one of the other mechanics might know better than I, but looks to me like it could be a rack for the wheel clamps for an alignment machine. The cabinets might be for remote instrumentation and other tools, and the clamps would hang on the hooks. Would explain the wide footprint. Does look like something worth taking apart and having the pieces in the miscellaneous pile. I used to call them my scrap piles until a few times when the wife was helping me load stuff for the scrap yard and asked if anything from those piles went. So now they're my "miscellaneous" or "spare parts" piles.

Old 02-01-18, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Oh no! Never junk or scrap drawers, bins, or piles! Always spare, unused at this time, or future use. It's all in the terminology and mind set.

Old 02-01-18, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife used to fuss about my scrap steel pile past the other side of the barn [can't see if from the house/yard] until her oldest son needed a dog house [no money] and I pulled enough scrap sheet metal out of there to make a roof, the rest was from scrap lumber I had laying around.

Old 02-01-18, 09:31 PM
Looks to me like a stand for a shoeshine boy.