Space X heavy

Old 02-06-18, 01:54 PM
Space X heavy

I have just witness history in the making!

What an age to live in!

A more perfect launch could not be asked.

Perfect landing for the boosters.

Unbelievable!

Last edited by Norm201; 02-06-18 at 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-18, 02:11 PM
I have lived through the most important technological and social happenings in the 20th/21st centuries so far.
I have lived trough the cold war.
The collapse of the Soviet Bloc.
The tearing down of the Berlin wall.
The computer age and all of its evolution's.
Science fiction becoming fact. Cell phones just as an example. Near cures for Cancer (Just this morning saw a story about a bacteria that can eliminate a type of cancer.)
Men on the moon. Several times.
Probes on Mars. Several of them.
Lots of social upheavals and changes.
Any thing I din't mention?

Old 02-06-18, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Used to live 25 miles from The Cape. Saw all the Applo launches. Best one was the night launch. it lit up the whole area like daylight. Beautiful launch today. Saw the shuttle blow up from front porch. Bad day.

Old 02-06-18, 02:15 PM
I think watching the simultaneous vertical landings of the boosters was somehow more spectacular than the launch. Like watching one of those '50's scify movies!

Old 02-06-18, 02:16 PM
Watching that pair of booster come down together was awesome. And this Falcon Heavy will certainly change history. I have always know the phrase "gilding the lily" but never found a place where it fit. Putting that roadster in orbit sure seems to justify "gilding the lily" (To adorn unnecessarily something that is already beautiful or perfect).

Bud

Old 02-06-18, 02:26 PM
Putting that roadster in orbit sure seems to justify "gilding the lily" (To adorn unnecessarily something that is already beautiful or perfect).
You got to give Elon credit with his bit of comic relief. I suppose a few $100K more one way or the other is nothing. So why not have some fun?

Old 02-06-18, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Saw the shuttle blow up from front porch. Bad day.
I saw it from my back yard. I had attempted to work that day but it was just too cold. I got to see all the shuttle launches [from a distance] until I moved to tenn - I knew something wasn't right but didn't realize right away that it had blown up.

Was it the weekly reader we got in school? said by the 70's we'd be wearing paper disposable clothes and cars would fly.

Old 02-06-18, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
That was without a doubt the most impressive man-made thing that I have ever seen!

Old 02-06-18, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
I had to get back to my office and watch the live stream. Watching the booster land is always incredible to watch but seeing two of them do it side by side is another level. It got me wondering what they did to prevent a collision. Do they fly a heart shaped re-entry and only come together from opposite directions, at the very end or are they doing something active to keep them apart? So many questions.

And, what do they have to do to stabilize the antennas on the drone ship so landings there aren't routinely blacked out?

Old 02-07-18, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
It seems SpaceX is not above some trickery for public relations. The video feed of the center booster landing on the drone ship was not lost due to a issue at the ship. It seems the feed for broadcasting was intentionally cut to avoid showing the crash and empty pad on the drone ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBPiindEeY

Old 02-07-18, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah... I figured when the drone ship camera went out that they didn't want to broadcast that failure for p.r. reasons. You can't tell me they don't have a camera (and antenna) that's far enough away from the drone ship to give a full shot of the landing. (Like on a boat!)

The camera feeds from the dual boosters as they came down was also duplicated, everything about it (including shadows, orientation to the sun, adjustment firing of the retro rockets to correct flight path - which should be independent for each unique return flight) was identical... you can see in the last second before landing that both cameras are of only ONE pad.

Still pretty cool though!

Old 02-07-18, 07:39 AM
Looks like I may be in the minority in feeling this was a frivolous publicity stunt. Putting a car in earth orbit? Do we really need more dangerous junk surrounding our planet? Does Elon think the Earth is his and needs to be "decorated" as he pleases?

Old 02-07-18, 07:44 AM
The two feeds from the boosters weren't duplicated. They were just very similar because they were identical rockets coming from almost the same place in the sky and going to almost the same place on the ground, and doing almost the same things to get there. There are two pads. Notice one has a black center to it, the other has a white center.

And I wouldn't say it's a publicity stunt, at least not entirely. The car part of it, sure, that's a gimmick. But this was, and has always been billed by SpaceX as, a test flight. Nobody's going to put a $50 million satellite on an untested rocket. Simply, they had to prove that the rocket would go up, and that it could take some kind of payload with it.

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-18, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
The live version had dupicate cameras. The 2 photos you posted weren't for the live video I saw. Both pics were like the left landing pad.

No, I agree, everything about it was totally a publicity stunt. Even if it would have blown up, you probably would have seen them cheering and talking about what a glorious explosion it was... the most powerful ever!

I think the car, the song, the spaceman, it's all purely symbolic... and the car is supposed to be going to orbit MARS, not the earth. (Symbolic that humans are on their way)

Now, unless something of value is found on the moon or mars, I don't quite see the value of going there. It's not like space travel is going to be the answer to cancer, hunger or overcrowding. A colony just to say we can do it is kind of pointless imo. Time and money would be better spent preserving life and peace here on this planet.

But I bet Elon Musk has seen this video as a kid...

https://youtu.be/t_KXgFpguE0

Old 02-07-18, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by guy48065
". . . Putting a car in earth orbit? Do we really need more dangerous junk surrounding our planet? Does Elon think the Earth is his and needs to be "decorated" as he pleases? . . ."
I thought the Tesla was destined for a Solar Orbit, somewhere within the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Old 02-07-18, 08:04 AM
The original intent was for the Tesla to go into a heliocentric orbit that will take it near both Earth and Mars (a trans-Mars injection). However, they burned a bit too long last night, and overshot that orbit. New trajectory takes it somewhere out near the asteroid belt.

Old 02-07-18, 08:09 AM
So, let's clarify: Did they lie to us and only land one rocket? Or did they have a glitch on the stream and only show one rocket's video? Because this is starting to go down the road of the "we didn't go to the moon, the earth is flat, and it's all a giant conspiracy."

It's just pretty disgusting to see people last night jumping up and down about how great it is, and this morning, it's all a PR stunt, a sham, and SpaceX lied to us.

Old 02-07-18, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
I would assume it was a video glitch. And unless the double landing in the video was a rebroadcast of one of their past landings, I would assume that part was live.

With so many people watching and so many reporters, I think it would be pretty hard to fake. (Unless the military kept people away from the landing site) Still anyone with binoculars could have watched it live.

Old 02-07-18, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
This video in the description mentions that it has been updated to include BOTH side cameras. (The original live version did not)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCc16uozHVE&t=191s

Old 02-07-18, 09:06 AM
I don't dispute that. But all the talk today seemed to turn into discussions of PR trickery and deceit and frivolity. I'm just trying to figure out why things went from enthusiasm to conspiracy overnight. It's like we found out that one thing went wrong, and all of a sudden Falcon Heavy was the worst thing to ever happen.

Old 02-07-18, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
I guess I haven't heard any of "the talk today".

Probably because the people who were excited about it and support it watched it live yesterday. The naysayers who could care less watched it on the news when they got home and had time to think about what kind of snide remarks they could make to discredit its success... and point out its failures. There were obviously going to be failures... it's a TEST flight!

Old 02-07-18, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
It was indeed a test...of a platform that had never flown before...which means it needed some sort of payload...whether it be a bunch of scrap or a $100K sports car. As to the video stating "lost the center core" I have a feeling that may have been dubbed in. I watched live and don't remember hearing that. They were also pretty good about updating as they heard things. They've had things blow up and crash before and were never shy about showing it or talking about it. I wonder as well, why they haven't come up with a way to not lose the feed...like a standoff boat or even a drone...but that could have something to do with the required licenses. You realize there's no one on the landing ship as it is? It's a drone itself.

The main reason for doing any exploring is just curiosity and searching for knowledge...if we ever lose that, we may as well put out a sign, "Earth is closed due to humanity not caring any more".

Just a very short list of things that have come from the space programs can be found here...https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html

And they didn't even mention TANG.

Old 02-07-18, 11:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I feel SpaceX has been overall very open with their successes and failures. Sure, there was some extra pomp with this one with the car and driver and such... but why not do something to get some extra publicity. Anything that gets people excited about space is a good thing.

I'd imagine they did intentionally cut the ship camera when they realized the center core would crash. It took a while for them to release that fact (a few hours), but they did admit that it was lost. But I think everyone was happy with most of everything going off without a hitch.

Very, very cool overall.

Old 02-07-18, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
But I bet Elon Musk has seen this video as a kid...
I dunno...is Musk old enough to have seen Heavy Metal? He was only 10 when it came out....maybe it was this instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GIiOsuDRFk

Old 02-07-18, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
This is one of the coolest video's I've seen of the twin boosters landing. It's taken from far enough away that you can see the boosters free falling, lighting their engines, sonic booms and touchdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Old 02-07-18, 02:22 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we could have a government agency that built rockets to the moon 'n stuff, instead of being upstaged by a carnival barker turned corporate welfare billionaire?

Old 02-07-18, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I saw us go to the moon almost 50 years ago I thought we would have a settlement on Mars by now.

Old 02-07-18, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
I figured at least a permanent research station on the moon, just like we have at the South Pole. Of course, it's a little more difficult, what with no air and all....

With unlimited funds, or worldwide cooperation, it could be done...but that's not happening anytime soon.