SSI number

Old 02-09-18, 11:00 AM
SSI number

Maybe you can give me a clue on this...a certain western state has standard employment forms if you want to be a state employee...One of these forms is the descendants pay release form where if you die on the job your last paycheck
goes to a certain person. You give their name and address and social security
number. I guess they want the SSI number for Federal tax purposes/withholding.
Sometimes people dont really have close relatives but they come up with a name and address just to satisfy the form. Some states and public agencies wont process an application unless they have every single piece of info they think they need. The problem is that its not reasonable to ask a distant relative you hardly know what their SSI number is. Even if you explain the situation
its rude and somewhat invasive to ask a person this. Not to mention safe in todays digital world. State databases are often found to be easily hacked.
The state I am talking about is way behind in all matters concerning computer savvy. Way behind. Enough said.
So what are you supposed to say to a secretary that calls and wants all of your info...they are trained to fill in numbers and thats it. They dont make policy.
But I for one am not going to ask even a relative what their SSI number is and if someone asked me for mine in the same circumstances I would be hesitant
to say the least.I would rather a state agency just keep my last check for themselves but they might say we cant do that and we cant process your application without that info. What are you supposed to tell them?Its ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-18, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
You could always make one up. Heck, it might be like winning the lottery for whoever's number you pull out of the air.

I agree, that's crazy. But I know there are legal forms for disclosing/releasing a SS number. But what if your relative didn't live in the US... what then?

Old 02-09-18, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
When I make my son beneficiary of anything, they always want his SSN. I don't think this policy is limited to your state. Usually when you want to leave something to a relative, it's usually a very close one, so there would be no problem asking them.
If you don't want to give it, just tell them so, then the state will get it. Or maybe call the relative and have them call the person to give them the info. I don't think making one up will work.
It's not rude and invasive. It's making sure the person that's supposed to get it will get it. Without the SSN, anyone can lay claim and pretend to be someone else.

Old 02-09-18, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would inform even a distant relative, but I'm no lawyer.
If you don't trust email ask them to send their info by mail. Computers are encrypted but of course can be hacked.
Hackers may not be concerned with your daily dealings.

It's more than just your last paycheck, it's maybe life insurance and checking accounts or any number of things.
One thing I learned recently is to change a checking account to read Payable Upon Death to a certain person.

This did not brighten my day

Old 02-09-18, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm, I thought there was some law about when you have to disclose your or anothers SSN? They had gotten very strict about it because of identity theft?

Btw...Pretty sure it's SSN or SS number. SSI number would be something totally different if there is such a thing. SSI is Supplemental Security Income and I don't think it has a number...

Unless I might be getting $10.3 Million US dollars from The National Bank Benin...I don't think I'd provide my SSN to anyone when it wasn't absolutely required.

Good info here...Who Can Lawfully Request My Social Security Number? | IdentityHawk.com

Old 02-09-18, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
So what are you supposed to say to a secretary that calls and wants all of your info...they are trained to fill in numbers and that's it.
If you don't know 100% who is calling or you didn't call them.... DO NOT give them your SS number.
Just say to them.... I'll get the information.... please give me a call back name and number.

Old 02-09-18, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you wanna give me all your stuff when you die, I'd consider giving my SSN .... along with my attorney of course.

Old 02-10-18, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless I might be getting $10.3 Million US dollars from The National Bank Benin...I don't think I'd provide my SSN to anyone when it wasn't absolutely required.
But they told me I was the only beneficiary of that account

Personally I wouldn't provide my SS number to anyone that I didn't think needed it and never over the phone [unless I initiated the call]

Old 02-10-18, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
I missed the part about the secretary called you. If someone just called you out of the blue, I wouldn't give them any info about anything, either. If it's a requirement of the job and you're talking face to face, it's a different story. Not 100% clear if you're sure this is them or not.

Search this Thread