Boom -- almost

Old 02-10-18, 09:14 AM
Boom -- almost

Riles and I were ready to go to the garage so I turned the kitchen TV off. Halfway out the door I thought I'd turn the furnace down too. After doing that I smelled it -- GAS.

Apparently when I reached to turn the TV off my parka caught the knob for the big burner and it was just past the spark part and on FULL, not burning.

Didn't think much about it at first till I realized I hadn't returned to the house for 45 minutes to an hour, so, with that gas filling my house and then the furnace comes on -- BOOM.

I haven't been this scared about anything in decades, then thinking of living in the ex's basement with her crazy cat just made it worse.

WOW, that'll never happen again. Sure am glad I turned around to adjust the furnace.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-18, 09:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anyone concerned with gas appliances should call the utility company.
At least in my area, the gas provider will inspect your entire house totally free of charge and advise you on any updates needed.
Natural gas is odorized for a reason, to alert you there is a leak and to shut off everything or call for help immediately.
Gas and carbon monoxide is nothing to play with.

Old 02-10-18, 10:35 AM
Anyone concerned with gas appliances should call the utility company.

I'm not concerned with the gas stove, I just bought it 2 years ago from Sears. Like most stoves I guess you have to push the knob in then turn it. This was just a freak thing, I bet I could put my parka on and reach for the TV a 1000 times and it'd never happen again. Just freaky and scared the hell out of me after thinking about what could have been.

I've been pacing today thinking what I'd do if I did walk in say 30 minutes after this happened and smell the gas...

* run over and turn the burner off? To do that you have to go past the spark position and it'd probably boom?

* get a wrench from the garage and turn off at the meter?

I know they say to get out but then again if I just turn the burner off all would be fine if you turn it fast enough to not spark.

Old 02-10-18, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
"Like most stoves I guess you have to push the knob in then turn it."

That is a real problem today. Yes.... you should need to push in firmly on the knob.... and feel resistance.... before you can turn it to on. Many gas stoves have almost no protection against being turned on accidentally. I have brushed by my valve and had it turn on.

Old 02-10-18, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
I think I really see what the main problem is here...you are having to wear a PARKA!!!

Old 02-10-18, 12:32 PM
Yes, the knobs are spring loaded so you have to push them in then turn.

Pete, I think I've read posts here with something like re-ignition, would that prevent this? I'm not worried for myself, I'll never forget this one. Like I told Brian above, I can do the same thing 1000 times and it will never happen again.

My son called last night and after explaining what happened he said, "Dad, God is mad at you then quickly realized his mistake so he had you return." I don't know but I'll take it.

PARKA Yeah, crazy weather. We had -23 yesterday and -17 this morning. Yesterday my sister started planting in her greenhouses so summer is a coming eventually.

Old 02-10-18, 01:43 PM
* get a wrench from the garage and turn off at the meter?
I guess that would be the prudent thing to do. Then open all the windows. Thing is would you have been able to open the door and or windows without causing any sparks by automatically hitting a light switch? Or even static sparking?

Old 02-10-18, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
A re-ignition ignition should alleviate that problem.
They spark at any gas valve position until the burner lights.

It may not be possible to convert as some igniters don't actually sit in the flame which is required for re-ignition to work properly.

Old 02-10-18, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that some gas stove top knobs are far too easy to turn without ignition.
Something needs to be done about this.
GE can build a nuclear submarine but can't figure out a range, not to pick on them

Old 02-11-18, 03:05 PM
I saw a news story last week that showed a "nanny-cam" video of a dog jumping up to get pizza from the stove top when the owners were out. The falling pizza turned on the gas and set the house on fire. Alarm system alerted the FD in time to save dogs and house. Video probably available on Youtube.

Search this Thread