The bridge always wins...

Old 03-06-18, 07:32 PM
The bridge always wins...

"About 11foot8
Clearance can be a real challenge for a truck driver. Especially inexperienced drivers of rental boxtrucks seem to be quite oblivious to the warning signs and flashing “overheight” warning lights at this railroad trestle in Durham, NC. So frequently do trucks crash into the 11-foot-8 clearance trestle, that the railroad company installed a crash beam in front of it. This massive steel I-beam bears the brunt of the impact, protecting the structure that supports this fairly busy railroad track. Believe it or not – they already had to replace the beam once!

In April 2008, I set up a camera in one of our offices at Brightleaf Square and started recording the traffic at the bridge. The idea was that eventually I’d record a crash. Just a few weeks later a truck crashed into the trestle and I had my first recording. In June 2009, I set up another camera in a storefront across the street, and since then I have been recording the crashes from two angles (most of the time)."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-18, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
AMEN.

This is a real problem in many places. There is a railroad track in the next town over from me that gets a truck stuck under it every couple of months.

Old 03-07-18, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can a little bit understand the rentals and travel trailers but all truck drivers are supposed to know the height of their truck. Wonder how much all that damage totaled up to

Old 03-07-18, 03:31 AM
Group Moderator
Had a situation like that here for years with an overpass that carried a street over the freeway. The ironic part was the street's name was Hazard St. (No, not named for all the wrecked trucks.) As you approached the overpass on the freeway a large sign said Hazard street.

Old 03-07-18, 06:08 AM
I remember hearing about a different version of the problem,
There's a low-bridge near the lumber yard my grandfather owned,
Reading railroad passes over a small town street.

Problem wasn't the low bridge, but that every couple years the town would re-pave the road and add 2" of asphalt without updating the sign....

Old 03-07-18, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
"About 11foot8
Is your post your wording or a copy and paste?

Old 03-07-18, 05:04 PM
copy 'n paste.

i should have included a link - here it is: About 11foot8 - 11 FOOT 8

usually i do but forgot.

Old 03-08-18, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
I remember before they installed the height sensors and flashing warning lights. Bridge hits were much more common then. I think the railroad got tired of having to inspect their bridge so often that they installed the roof removal bar.

Old 03-08-18, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
I can sort of understand the guys with rented Uhauls and such, but the commercial drivers???

Old 03-08-18, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
but the commercial drivers???
This happened in Philly a couple of days ago:

http://6abc.com/truck-hits-overpass-...miles/3180723/

Old 03-08-18, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
We're not immune down here either. Several years back our stretch of I-75 was getting a new coat of pavement and they were working in the wee hours. One of the asphalt hauler dump trucks got done feeding the paver machine and took off for home....with the dump bed "up". Got about a mile down the road and impacted an overpass. Ripped the bed right off and left it sitting in the travel lane. Didn't do the overpass any good either, it was closed for a couple of weeks. Fortunately not a busy road and just a plain overpass, no interchange. Cops tracked the driver to her house.

Old 03-08-18, 08:02 AM
Sometime in the 60's one of our Sunday drives took us to the stockyards south of Detroit, and there was a whole string of rail cars full of new automobiles, with a whole bunch of suits and ties looking at them, I want to say Cadillacs but can't remember for sure, and all of the ones on the top row had their roofs torn open from where they had gone under something that was obviously too low.

Old 03-08-18, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Ooops.

Old 03-08-18, 01:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even a truckload of Yugos with their tops peeled back wouldn't do the driver's reputation or the company's bottom line any good!

Old 03-08-18, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
I think I might have the best one. IIRC they had repaved I-64 W out of Hampton Roads. A truck carrying nuclear waste from either the shipyard or Surrey nuke plant hit the overpass, knocked off one container/piece of equipment. Exits few and far between East of the overpass and traffic was backed up 15 miles both ways initially. No huge release, but the freeway was closed on one side for 2 or three days as they replaced the asphalt and dug up surrounding soil. Hey, once the State and Fed EPA and NRC get involved...you know there's trouble coming.

Old 04-06-18, 02:07 AM
user10,

the 11' 8" is also referred to as the "can opener" I not yet witnessed any trucks losing the battle, but my 2 favorites was the breast cancer awareness Rv losing it's AC units and last month's military truck scraping it's gunshot radar detector on the low clearance rsilroad bridge,

they have changed the low clearance signage at least 2 times within past 10 years and people STILL ignore the big flashing overheight sign and red light, crashes happen at least once a month, if not more,

Old 04-09-18, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Did you see the news about the bus that hit the overpass in Long Island? Took the whole top off the bus. What Ifind amazing the overpass is only eight feet. That just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=b...pe=&as_rights=

Last edited by ray2047; 04-10-18 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-10-18, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Old 04-10-18, 11:19 AM
This happened a couple of weeks ago...

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anch...-hit-by-truck/

... and in this case the bridge did NOT win. The load significantly damaged a girder which will cost about $1.8 M to repair. Hope the trucking company has good insurance...