Code violations?

Old 03-09-18, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Code violations?

There is a nightclub in the town where we went this morning. I've heard it's a rough place. Last week there was a shooting there, a 16 yr old boy shot and killed a 20 yr old. Their local paper had a big article about that nightclub, listed all the times the law has been called [54 times last year] It also said the place has been closed for code violations that were severe enough to warrant turning off the electric and gas. Nothing was said about the shooter being only 16 yrs old! Isn't it against the law for a 16yr old to be in a nightclub? I thought you had to be 21 to drink legally. I would have thought a minor committing murder would be more reason to close the place than the violations the investigating officers noticed.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-18, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
The law is a funny thing. You can't just close a place because they serve poor people or those that ride motorcycles or drive black cars. you've got to have a law to hit them with. In that jurisdiction they may only have a law about serving those 21 and over but those under age may still enter. I know here it's a sticky area where you start asking if they serve food and if they do how much is the percentage of their business. What is the dividing line between a bar or club that serves food and a restaurant that serves alcohol?

There is not much on the books in most areas to close a place based on their clientele. You can't infringe the rights of people to go where they want. If they wanted to close the place down I would think they would go after liquor law violations, fire code or zoning and building code violations. Send in a few under cover people and catch them selling alcohol to minors, pull their liquor license and they are essentially out of business. Go through the fine print of the fire, zoning and building codes looking for odd little things that are overlooked and nail them on those.

Old 03-09-18, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The paper said the 2 violations the officers noticed were a leaky roof and kerosene space heaters. Apparently the code people came in and found more. While I have drove past the place a few times in the daylight I've never been in it or even near it after dark. I guess the authorities weren't overly inclined to shut the place down until the murder as it sounds like the code violations and bar fights have been going on for years. I suppose it's possible most of the police calls were from incidents in the parking lot.

Oh, the 16 yr old was from our county and our local paper quoted his parents as saying he was a good kid

Old 03-12-18, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Isn't it against the law for a 16yr old to be in a nightclub?
Since when did laws start stopping criminals?

Old 03-12-18, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Very true! I just thought it odd that they were basing the closing off of code violations with no real mention of the murder especially since it involved mnors.