Why do they build houses with those cheap hollow doors?

Old 04-01-18, 08:26 AM
Why do they build houses with those cheap hollow doors?

What is the purpose of those cheap hollow interior doors other than maybe cost?

Just wondering. The 1971 small ranch I got a few years ago has 4 cheap hollow plain jane doors. I mean these ones don't even have any design at all, they're just plain!

Would anyone actually desire a cheap plain hollow door for any reason? I mean, are there any advantages to having them?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-18, 09:18 AM
Your assumption is correct, cheap. A plain sheet of wood might be cheaper but it would not stay straight. Those hollow core at least do that.

Bud

Old 04-01-18, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
They are stable and when first produced...were "modern" looking as well as cheaper than solid wood. The masonite (as opposed to "Masonite") molded composite doors are available in styles that would cost $500 each in solid wood. I don't think I'd ever want solid wood doors anymore. They swell and shrink, they warp and twist. Now, I don't like the plain lauan flat doors either, but they are pretty common out here, normally stained, but I've seen some painted ones too.

Old 04-01-18, 12:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most house built in the 70s used the hollow core luan doors, it was a matter of economics. They cost less and are a little easier to install. Hollow core doors do paint better than the solid doors - no splitting wood or joints that might separate a little. I have hollow core luan doors in my house, 1/2 are stained, 1/2 are painted. Like Vic, I'm partial to the molded masonite doors that have been popular for the last 35 yrs or so.

Old 04-01-18, 12:45 PM
Thanks. Mine are also painted. Good thing is that we only have a total of 5 doors in the entire house. I want to upgrade the bedrooms though to solid core for the sound.

Are solid core that much more quiet?

Old 04-01-18, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They are probably a little quieter but most of the sound transfers under the door or along the sides of poorly fitted door. An issue with painting solid panel doors is the panels tend to expand/contract with temp/humidity changes. This results in a 'crack' where the panel meets the frame of the door which many find unsightly. It's not advised to caulk that joint as the caulking will prevent the wood from moving - so it splits. Solid doors do look nice stained!

Old 04-01-18, 04:09 PM
Are solid core that much more quiet?

Here is a little past experience.

Back in 1999 we built our 3rd new home and went with solid interior door. Needless to say I hated them. We had issues with the hinges causing black stains on the woodwork due to the heavy loads, when they got a breeze behind it and slammed shut it felt like the house was coming apart. Personally I would never install them again.

Today they make nice hollow core doors that are foam filled, gives them a solid feel with a lot less mass, haven build a house since but that will be coming up soon,

PS, never noticed that the solid core doors did anything to minimize noise.

Old 04-02-18, 08:23 AM
When we bought our current house I replaced all of the luan doors with solid wood 6 panel doors. We spent a little extra to buy a quality door and in the 35 years since the only one that gave us any problems at all is the door to the master bath. None of them have split, cracked, warped or in any way made me regret using solid wood. If I were to replace them again I think I would still choose solid wood.

I grew up in a farmhouse built in 1840. All of the interior doors were solid wood and I believe original to the house.