You still gotta' look both ways!

Old 04-17-18, 01:23 PM
You still gotta' look both ways!

Driving in a supermarket parking lot this morning. A women came out of the store with a cart full of groceries and stepped off the curb without as much as a glance either way. The car in front of me hit her. We were probably doing less than 10 mph. Fortunately, it looked like the cart took the brunt of he hit but the woman was complaining about her arm which may have been broken.

The woman was in a crosswalk leading from the store exit into the lot. There is no doubt that the driver that hit her was at fault. But still, had she looked before stepping off the whole thing could have been avoided. I see this often, pedestrians think that because they have the right of way, drivers will stop for them. Apparently they never consider that not all drivers are paying attention and I'm not sure the driver could have stopped in time anyway.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-18, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
I see that nowadays even for crossing the street! Some people have this odd mindset that all cars should stop for them and are the only ones that need to watch out. This is perhaps how it should be, but with a lot of people barely stopping for stop signs (or maybe not at all) people need to look both ways before stepping out.
We were taught that and I always look first, but some obviously were not. Too bad cuz they learn the hard way I guess.

Old 04-17-18, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of idiots in today's world the sad thing is it costs the rest of us about as much as it does them.

Old 04-18-18, 08:15 AM
In my Driver's Ed. class 40 years ago we were told "It doesn't matter who had the right of way if you're dead". I guess they just don't teach the basics any more?

Old 04-18-18, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Like Mark said, there's no shortage of idiots these days. Unfortunately, there's a shortage of common sense!

Old 04-18-18, 08:31 AM
While we're talking about parking lots, one thing that irks me is the speed at which many drivers drive through parking lots. They drive through parking lots like they're at the Indy 500. I always drive very slowly through parking lots because you never know what's going to jump out in front of you (person, car, cart, etc.).

Old 04-18-18, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
That and cutting across when there's no curbing to stop them.

Old 04-19-18, 08:11 AM
I hate parking lots because people drive too fast for the limited visibility and numerous hazards.
2 cars in Kroger yesterday backed into each other so fast it knocked both flexi bumper covers off their rears.