I got carded

Old 04-25-18, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I got carded

I made a purchase today and had to show ID and no I wasn't buying alcohol - it was a tube of rubber cement [for patching inner tubes] I have to admit I do have a few grey hairs .... but most of them are white! Kind of took me by surprise

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-18, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
That's funny! Last year I bought some sort of medication, maybe cough syrup but can't 100% remember, from a drug store and they carded me too!
I think maybe because some items get abused nowadays, they're required to check ID's. However, some common sense should come into play. In my case, it was a very young girl so I guess the sense isn't there yet!

Old 04-25-18, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Locally there are some over the counter medications [the ones used to make meth] that require ID. I think they also have a data base to prevent you from buying more than the gov't thinks you need.

I do remember back in the early 60s I could go to the store anytime [as long as I had money] and buy model cement but when I got to high school I was no longer old enough to purchase it

Old 04-25-18, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Age verification is required in Walmart for buying automotive additives. I was in the self checkout lane and one product was diesel additive. The cashier had to come over and do an override with visual verification.

Old 04-25-18, 01:31 PM
I got carded a few weeks ago when buying a can of spray paint. I'm in my 70's.

Old 04-25-18, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
That I can understand. You're a bad influence.

Old 04-25-18, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
This is what I'm talking about. I don't think the cashier's quite understand the carding for age concept.

Old 04-26-18, 07:41 AM
I don't think it's the cashiers as much as the management. When I bought the spray paint my cashier said "I know this is really stupid but I need to see proof of age". She said her manager's instructions were to card everyone buying spray paint. NBD and she said that I didn't look a day over 69.

Old 04-26-18, 10:00 AM
I was carded awhile back when I was buying a few cans of spray paint for a job at the house.

Store said some thing about kids in the area tagging??? really now...

Old 04-26-18, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Well then the managers should tell them they don't have to card if it's obvious! I mean, like I said, some common sense!

Old 04-26-18, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
I can understand, as it's easier to make sure no one slips through the cracks if everyone is carded as opposed to relying on people's judgment as to who might not be of age. One liquor store near me is like this and I have no issue buying from them over someone else who might look at all the grey hair and not bother.

Old 04-26-18, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
I was visiting a relative in Oregon and I rode along when he went to a dispensary. I've never been carded so many times in five minutes. They carefully checked both our drivers licenses in a small entry room before we could enter. Then once inside the sales associate again checked both our licenses before doing anything else. Then when my brother in law checked out the same person once again asked for our licenses and verified our age. I asked about it since I wasn't buying anything but EVERYONE gets their ID checked. The sales person told how crazy serious they were about verifying ID. Even though the sales person had already checked our ID's a couple minutes before he said they would instantly get fired if everyone's ID was not checked again before checkout. I assume it's such a profitable business that they don't mess around one bit for fear of loosing their license.

Old 04-26-18, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
the managers should tell them they don't have to card if it's obvious! I mean, like I said, some common sense!
I totally agree!! I have a white beard along with some grey hair mixed in with the white on my head. I doubt anyone would mistake me for being under 50 much less underage. I understand it may be store policy so no one sneaks thru but a little commonsense goes a long way!

Old 04-26-18, 04:38 PM
A good friend of mine worked at a convenience store/gas station and on one busy afternoon (working alone) a young guy dressed in dirty construction cloths came in and grabbed a six pack of beer from the cooler. He was third in line so just dropped some money on the counter and said close enough and out the door he went. With customers at the counter he had to decide, chase the guy for ID and leave the register and all else unprotected or let him go. He let him go. They lost their liquor license for a month as he was a plant sent in by a state inspector. The option he missed was to call the cops with a description of the person and vehicle. He was lucky to save his job.

When stores are dealing with inspectors who know how to break the laws you need to check everyone, grandma and grandpa included.

Bud

Old 04-26-18, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Was in a bar I used to frequent often. Right after most jobs let out (incl the shipyard), Fri afternoon, naturally busy, bartender (1) was running ragged.

Guy comes in dressed in jeans, maybe a jacket, asked for a beer. Not a regular, so the bartender asked for ID, checked the date, verified the pic, gave him a beer. He drank it, left, came back 5 min later with a notebook and issued a violation. Now this was a go-go bar in VA, so naturally it's relatively dark and he had a very well altered DL that you could only see in a direct light to check for reflection or not. IIRC it was a change from a 8 to a 6. I mean, he wasn't really iffy...he looked to be early 20's. She got suspended for either 2 weeks or a month (can't remember...but she REALLY couldn't afford it). Bar got a $2000 fine and put on probation. For one lousy beer! It was as close to entrapment as it could be...but back then you didn't fight ABC on ANYTHING.

Old 04-27-18, 02:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I get asking for ID from anyone anywhere close to being marginal looking on age. Seems like yrs ago I remember seeing signs stating the store would card anyone that looked under 30 but surely an underage person can't be mistaken for a senior citizen.

Old 04-27-18, 03:08 AM
I'm 53 with a long gray beard and bald head and haven't been carded since I was 21.