ants and fiber optic cable

Old 05-01-18, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ants and fiber optic cable

Yesterday afternoon my internet, cable and phone went out. They sent a tech out who said everything was good at the house/box so it must be a fiber issue. This afternoon they sent 2 guys out who after a bunch of checking found that ants had either ate the cable in two at the pole [next to road] or ate enough to short it out. They didn't explain it well.

Who would have thought ants would eat rubber coated wire. Hope it doesn't happen again! While I didn't miss the TV or phone, I did miss the internet.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-18, 02:57 PM
What the hell kind of ants to you have in your neck of the woods?

Old 05-01-18, 03:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know, just going by what the repair guys said. I'd have never thought that ants would travel that high up off of the ground.

Old 05-01-18, 03:28 PM
I know they'll travel to any height (hi-rise apartments) for a food source, but a insulated covered cable?

Maybe this is what you have.

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/M...6,1000_AL_.jpg

Old 05-01-18, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Joan Collins...lol...what a great actress..

Unless there are some sort of gaps or devices that could be clogged by debris, I call shenanigans on the techs.

Fiber cable is nothing but glass or plastic filaments surrounded by a plastic sheath. Have you ever heard of ant's eating plastic? I sure haven't. Rats, mice, squirrels sure (at least gnawing it), but not ants. It's not like there's food inside. Don't you think this would be a common near unavoidable issue? I can't think of too many places that don't have ant's in the nearby habitat...can you?

Old 05-01-18, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At least they were on the pole down at the road and not up top near the house

Old 05-01-18, 04:19 PM
Not yet at least. They're slowing marching up the cable.

Old 05-02-18, 03:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That cable is probably 300' long, I'd suspect/hope they'd perish before they went that far.

Old 05-02-18, 08:47 AM
As GG said, I'd suspect squirrels, rats, or mice, with squirrels at the top of the list. They all need to chew to keep their teeth from growing too long. These techs really need to think a little before they hand out their bs explanations. Just saying "i don't know" would sound more intellegent.

Bud

Old 05-02-18, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When they first got here they said they suspected a squirrel, ants is what they said when they left. If I understood correctly the damage was inside a box or something at the pole.

Old 05-02-18, 03:28 PM
I've heard stories of ants getting into electrical equipment and causing shorts. Maybe?

There's an article from Texas where they report that "crazy rasberry" ants can actually chew through wire insulation. Crazy Ants Can Chew Through Wires

Search this Thread