proud momemt

Old 05-05-18, 03:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
proud momemt

We got to see our grandson graduate from high school last night! something his parents failed to do. I've been concerned because his parents let him 'quit' school 2 yrs ago but he did enroll in an online home school type deal. Big week for the kid, he turned 18 and got his diploma!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-18, 03:48 AM
Congrats! Our oldest grandson is 2 years away from HS graduation. Our daughter graduates from law school next week. Don't know where those kids got their smarts! Steve

Old 05-05-18, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can understand your joy.

I hated school.... not that I just hated school, but I really hated school. I did not even try once in Jr high. I failed the 8th, transferred to another smaller school nearby & done well the 2nd time around in the 8th grade, but quickly become unhappy again. Failed the 10th & quit. Went to trade school for welding & auto mechanics. Welded for a while, then in '82 went to work for the municipal fire dept as a fire fighter for 8 years. I wanted to become an EMT so I got my GED in '85, went to EMT school & ran an ambulance for 6 years while at the fire dept (fire chief owned a private ambulance company).
I said all that to say this, its one of the top 3 things in my life I regret. Not finishing school & going to college. I have my HS diploma but for me, personally, its not the same thing. I have some education in fire fighting through LSU, but its not a degree.
Again, one of my biggest regrets. So I really do understand your joy of seeing him graduate after both parents didnt.

Old 05-05-18, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I left home when I was 16 but stayed in school because it was drilled into my head that without a high school diploma you couldn't get anything but a minimum wage job. Funny thing is, I've never had a job that required a diploma ..... not that I regret finishing high school and would never encourage anyone to not get all the education they can!

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here, his long term plans have changed umpteen times in the last 2 yrs.

Old 05-05-18, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Congratulations, Mark!

Old 05-05-18, 06:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Shady ..... but it wasn't my accomplishment

Old 05-05-18, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
OK then, congratulations to your grandson!

Old 05-05-18, 01:53 PM
Glad to hear. Hope he considers a skill or trades education or perhaps college,

Old 05-05-18, 01:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Over the last few yrs he's expressed interest in trade school, the military and then college and got engaged but they've since broke up. She seems like a nice girl but I always thought they were too young. I really don't know what his current plans are.

Old 05-05-18, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Congratulations to him!

The high school I went to was in a bit of an uppity side of town and they really pushed collage. About 90% went to collage but I wouldn't doubt that less then 50% finished or did anything with it. I knew that collage would be a waste of time for me and I went to trade school. The trades are really in need of good people who are good with their hands and have skills. Just saying.

Old 05-08-18, 09:38 AM
Good for you, to support him. My father always regretted having quit school(1946), but went and finished. He was 80, when he graduated. I was never so proud of him!

Old 05-09-18, 04:44 AM
Congratulations to your grandson. While education doesn't guarantee economic success, it certainly lowers many obstacles. I am in my 80s and still regret not taking advantage of the opportunities offered in high school because college was not a possibility. Twelve years after graduating HS and thanks to the GI Bill, I got a degree but not without a lot of struggle.