National anthen VS NFL

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-18, 04:10 AM
National anthen VS NFL

So this morning I hear that the NFL is considering making the National anthem to stand or kneel optional. This whole controversy is so stupid.

The answer is to eliminate the problem.

Where is it written that the national anthem needs to be sung at a sporting event?
It's a nice jester but no longer necessary or of any value. It has nothing to do with patriotism or protesting. It's only causing strife and political division. In fact in most cases the fans won't let the singer finish the song with out chattering and whistling before they say play ball.

Eliminate it and you remove the political statement and the controversy. Let the protesters find another venue for causing problems.

Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-18, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
Just an observation, but I've never seen a NASCAR driver taking a knee.

Old 05-07-18, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When all this 'taking a knee' stuff started several of the NASCAR team owners stated that if any of their employees took a knee - they would no longer have a job!

IMO the national anthem should be sung at all events, helps [or should] makes us patriotic.

Old 05-07-18, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
I would amend that comment to include being sung respectfully. Often the "performers" doing the singing make ME want to get on my knees and pray for them to finish their disgraceful rendition. Being introduced as a "Grammy Award Winner" is usually a clue to stand by with the mute button. The best performances are often those done by a choir.

Old 05-07-18, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I started writing a reply but, I know that what I want to say isnt appropriate for this forum so deleted my text & I'll just leave it at this. I watched the first three games of the NFL preseason last year. I haven't watched a game since.
I love NFL football but if they don't support & respect me, my country & my national anthem, I wont support or respect them. End of story.
I am in Louisiana. Obviously, the New Orleans Saints was at the top of my list to support. But since the ownership, coaching staff & players made it plain where they stand (or don't stand), so the Saints are at the bottom of the list on my disrespect list. Actually, they are below the bottom. Of all the teams... the Saints????.... Louisiana????
Drew Brees owns a big stake in some sort of restaurant which is now under construction here in the city where I live. I hope he isn't expecting me to show up when it opens.

Old 05-07-18, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
IMO the national anthem should be sung at all events, helps [or should] makes us patriotic.
I feel my actions make me patriotic.

I would rather have sung a good patriotic song, such as "God bless America". Our national anthem is a difficult song to sing.

Old 05-08-18, 03:57 AM
I consider myself very patriotic, but I don't see why it needs to be sung at every sporting event. Especially since it's causing such a controversy. Maybe we need to sing it at every town meeting, every concert, before every bowling game, tennis match and maybe before every court case. Certainly some of those examples are more appropriate than a sporting event.

Consider what I posted to begin with...Don't sing it and therefore no problem...the protester will have to find another venue without the crowd or press.

I would rather have sung a good patriotic song, such as "God bless America". Our national anthem is a difficult song to sing
That may be true but the real point of the national anthem is what the words mean and how it can evoke emotion. God Bless America is a great song, but the Star Spangled Banner has a lot more meaning and the words are so true. It's actual history in a song. Difficult to sing? Yes. But you don't need talent to get the true meaning of the words. And here's another thing. Suppose we do adopt God Bless America. The problem in is in the title. Can you imagine the controversy connected with the word God in our national anthem. You think you have problem with jocks? Now you have ACLU and every non-Christian religion howling.

BTW... How many of us display our flag on a regular basis? I usually keep mine hung vertically in front of my front porch light.

Old 05-08-18, 05:01 AM
If you attend sporting events you'll find that the vast majority of fans are respectful and enjoy the Anthem. Removing would be the equivalent of "taking a knee" and surrendering to a few racist jerks.

Removing the National Anthem from sporting events is akin to the Neville Chamberlain school of conflict resolution. The multimillionaire cretins would simply find another target.

Old 05-08-18, 06:46 AM
I'm in agreement with cwbuff. The crybabies that are "offended" by everything good & moral have already succeeded in removing the pledge from our schools, banned bible study, and want to banish God from the wording of our laws. They want to remove our constitutional right to self-protection under the hypocritical guise of "saving lives". I don't want to give up anything more to placate these whiners.

Old 05-08-18, 09:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
if we're going to do away with something (in sports), lets start with Roger Goodell...

Old 05-08-18, 09:30 AM
Heck, even Canadian Hockey players stand and pay attention during the U.S. National anthem. And the U.S. players do the same for the Canadian anthem. It comes down to tradion and respect. Obviously, some NFLers don't know or care much about either.

Old 05-08-18, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
NASCAR always has the national anthem as part of the pre race proceedings. At Michigan International Speedway they also sing the Canadian national anthem which receives respect from the fans the same as the US anthem.

Old 05-08-18, 09:44 PM
I watch football to watch football -- not to get a civics lesson. Football's a distraction from day-to-day stuff. Football players should concentrate on football -- it's what they get the really big bucks for.

When a less-than-stellar QB (like Kap) has to make a statement on the field (rather than play well) it distracts from my distraction. If they want to make statement off the field, that's fine. On the field, it's not.

Old 05-09-18, 06:56 AM
"If they want to make statement off the field, that's fine. On the field, it's not."

Exactly. Goodell and the owners should have squashed this immediately. Unfortunately, I think Goodell was hiding under the bed when cajones were being passed out.

Old 05-09-18, 03:39 PM
I actually don't mind that these idiot players have taken a knee during the anthem. They did what they think best to raise awareness for some issue.

But here's what bothers me... "OK, Mr NFL Player, you have my attention. Now what are you going to do about your issue?" They are not holding press conferences, establishing foundations to address the "problem", talking to the people that can make decisions to improve the situation - nothing.

The fact that I don't know what they are protesting is a testament to their failure to address the problem.

I quit watching the nfl when they started taking knee. And you know what... I don't miss it a bit.

Old 05-09-18, 04:04 PM
My 2 cents, why is this a topic on a DYI forum? As I've said in the past, if I want lively spirited discussion on political or controversial subjects, there a plenty of crap places on the web I can go. I come here to read from people in the business how they do stuff as they usually have much more knowledge than me.

Belonging to this forum relatively recently, I have come to respect most of the commenters in this thread, as their knowledge has been invaluable to me. Information is presented with confidence and obviously come from experience. Injecting these type of topics on a DIY forum puts a bad taste in my mouth, no matter where I stand on the topic.

Can't we have one place on the internet where it's just people helping people? This is the only forum I have ever found online where I find a sort of peaceful respite from the blah blah blah out there. It seems like the General Chat and Discussion forum should be either eliminated or tightly moderated.

Not sure if this was even worth 2 cents.

Old 05-09-18, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you asked, its in the general chats & discussions section of which was created just for "off topic" discussions, where members can discuss a variety of topics. There is more to most of our lives than just DIY topics.
Most of us are somewhat "internet friends" here & friends "just talk & chat" sometimes.
Sometime we just need to vent about life & we do so with our friends.
I belong to several forums & I cant think of one single forum that does not have a section like this.

I am not sure about this forum software abilities but the vBulliten forum where I am an administrator, I can block a member from any section of the forum. Although it would not be a practice I would engage in, if you so choose, you might ask an admin here if they could do that for you so you wont see the General Chat & Discussions section. Again, while I doubt they will do so, the simple solution would be that you take it upon yourself to just not click on anything in that section.

No offence intended.......

Closed Thread