Kay's Whining Post, the Saga continues....LOL

Old 08-06-02, 05:32 PM
3 pages!

Well guys, we're at 3 pages now. The limit is what? 5?

Let's try to figure out an inviting name when we have to move it to a new thread. I noticed that titles like "no rest for the wicked" draws a lot of lookers! Few posts, but lots of views.

If you think of anything let me know. Right now I must go off into the wild...scourage for food for my little wolverines before they eat each other.

Okay, so the timer went off on the oven and the pizza's ready.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-02, 08:16 AM
Strange feelings

Lately I've been feeling an urging. Not sure what it is. A need for change, or maybe a time for something new. Very hard to put a label on it. It feels similar to my periods of discontentment, however it isn't a sad or confused feeling. Not a yearning for something, but an urging to do something. I am not sure what that 'something' is.

The desire to write has sprung up full force again along with the desire to travel, see things that I've only seen in books. To have an adventure of sorts. To live and experience something truly different. I am wondering if the two are meant to be one.

I looked in my atlas last night thinking maybe it would clue me in as to maybe a forgotten longing to travel to another country. I realized that I would still like to visit spain. I'd like to go to Jamaica, too. Even Egypt.

I thought maybe I could write adventures in those places. How do you write an adventure that happens somewhere I've never been?

Oh well, just a strange feeling. Maybe its just a realization that in a few short years that my children will be grown and I can start planning and saving for these adventures. Who knows, writing may the means to get me there years from now. It may be the means that takes me there.

Kay

Old 08-10-02, 09:14 AM
an urging to do something

kaybyrd, I think you have the title for the new thread. Most of us have dreams and urges. Should make for interesting discussion.

Old 08-10-02, 07:50 PM
How about:
  • Hopes, Dreams and Struggles
  • Simple Pleasures, Complex Dreams (my hubby thinks that's too deep)
  • As the Stomach Turns
  • The Fork in the Road
  • Strange Feelings
  • Dreams and Urges (Urgings)

I am sure it will come to me. The last one could be misleading. Tough choice.

Oh well, two more pages to fill before the final decision has to be made. Don't want to rush into a mis-choice .

Kay

Old 08-11-02, 10:42 AM
How about: I'm So Frustrated I Could Scream!

That's where I am right now. My hubby's phone was ringing this morning and he didn't want to answer it. It was my BIL. We figured that he was checking to see if we were all going canoeing next weekend or not. We've, both us and other BIL, already said that we can't afford to go especially since school starts this week and we're not sure what all the kids will need, and plus the guys work weekends. Danny already called Jeff yesterday and got ugly on the phone with him since Jeff told him that they definitely couldn't go. Mike figured Danny would do the same with him. Well, the second time the phone rang Mike answered. He wanted to borrow money. We've got it now, but can't let go of it. I have no idea what supplies my high schooler needs nor the middle schooler either. We also have bills to pay this week, too. Really bothers me that every month they call to borrow money to cover one utility bill or another to avoid cutoff. This is a two income family, mind you. Both me and Jeff's wife do not work.

I want to shake Danny at times. He is too old to act like this. He has married a woman with 2 children, too. Guess that case of beer he bought is really coming back to haunt him now. Probably the bottle of liquor his wife bought is haunting her too. I guess the thing that bothers me is that Danny will think we're lying about not having the money. I'm not lying to him. I have the money just can't let go of it. I'm also tired of every month this happening, usually twice a month. Their kids start school tomorrow, too! I wonder if they have their supplies. The elementary schools have already published their school supply lists. Maybe that's why they're short on cash this week. Buying school supplies for the boys. I really hate this! Why do I feel guilty? I have 3 children of my own to support.

I don't understand why I feel guilty about saying no to them. I shouldn't, but I do.

Kay

Old 08-11-02, 11:06 AM
Say what you mean and mean what you say

No means no. So, you have some spare cash. That does not mean that you have it to spare.

Even if you were quite wealthy, it is not a good thing to loan money or to give it away to moochers. Dependency tends to breed hositility. Loaning money to people with addictions also makes you a codependent.

There are some people who will suck you dry. Then, when you are down and out and you ask for some cash, they don't have it. They will drop you like a hot potato when they learn the well went dry.

Do not feel guilty!

It has been a while since you mentioned the inlaws. Minimize social interaction. If your husband wants to interact, fine. Take the kids to the library or some place.

Canoeing trip? Is this one of those deals where you get invited to a duck dinner and you are told to bring the duck? That's what always happened to me.

Usually if you loan a friend or acquaintenance money, you tend not to see them again because they don't plan on paying you back. I loaned a guy $50. I was surprised when he recently called and asked for another $50. I told him I was broke. I recently loaned someone else some money. Someone I trusted. They did not pay me back. Never again. I AM BROKE!

Sure, I have some spare cash. I am not spending it. I am frugal. I could use a second pair of shoes. I am scheduled for GYN and mammogram appointments. I need to go to the dentist.

kaybyrd we need to take care of ourselves first and foremost. We should not feel guilty. We feel guilty because we are programmed to be caretakers, to save the world, and its inhabitants. Thus, an argument against the Welfare System in this country. It tends to breed dependency among many.

We are particularly vulnerable when it comes to family and friends. We are all adults here and should be responsible for ourselves and not depend on others to bail us out. I get particularly upset when I learn someone has spent my hard-earned money on drugs or alcohol and they told me a sob story about how their car is broken, the baby needs medicine, etc. NO MORE.

Old 08-11-02, 12:53 PM
When Danny called Mike back to see if we had the money, Mike told him no. Thank goodness there wasn't any conflict. Funny tho, Mike said I was right about his money being misspent. Danny wanted Mike to come over and see his truck. He had just painted it camoflauge (sp?).

I don't feel guilty about not helping Danny and his wife, I feel guilty because of their children needlessly suffering. I know they won't die from it. However, I don't know what is gas in their house. I believe only the heat and water heater. They will just have to boil water on the stove for baths. I've had to do all that and more before.

My best friend borrowed $500 from us about 8 months ago. She's paid back $200 of it so far. I don't want her to pay me back. I don't care if she does or doesn't. She pays me what she can, when she can. She wants to, so I have to take it. She has helped me out over our 24 year friendship. I don't feel she owes me anything, and she only asks for help when truly needed. My BILs are another story. Jeff and Susan are truly back on their feet now. They aren't capable of paying back the $1000+ they borrowed from us, but they are living wiser today. It makes it not hurt so much since they don't squander their money instead of repaying us or helping us when we need it.

Danny is my age. We are the oldest in the groups and should know better, no, at least should try. I'm not perfect with money and make mistakes. I try. He doesn't seem to care. Living moment to moment, whim to whim. It bothers me because of the children. What a way to grow up. Despite the fact we are the oldest, all of us are old enough to know better and to try.

Mike also told me not to feel guilty. That he will go by to 'see' the truck so he can check on the kids. We will decide what to do on a day to day basis where the children are concerned instead of jumping to the conclusion that they are doing without.

Thank you Twelvepole! I needed to hear what you said. I am moody today. Tomorrow starts a new life for us, for me. My children will start school and our life will resume some form of routines and constants. It will be nice. It will also be missing one big thing: my vegas child. This will be the first time that I have actually not had anyone home during the day. I know that this will be a blessing if I allow it to be. I will allow it to be. It is a chance for me to take care of me, to do things that I wouldn't allow myself to do since it might interfere with the kids' schedules. Its not dread I feel. Simply excitement and anticipation of the 'unknown'. New experiences. New adventures. A new chapter in my family's book of life. I'm not scared, just not sure what to expect.

I am not superwoman, I cannot save the world. I am simply me. It is a relief to relieve myself of a burden that isn't mine to bear. One that I took on in a gradiose moment of thought that I was something greater than myself. To be humbled to the point of thinking real and clearly. I like being me. Little ole me. Small but significant in the bigger scheme of things .

Kay

Old 08-11-02, 04:08 PM
Significant

kaybyrd you are significant in your world and your scheme of things. I still say you are a strong and beautiful woman. Walk tall and proud.

Old 08-15-02, 07:07 PM
All alone again!

Seems I'm all alone again. Everyone's on vacation or working or dealing with family so I will just talk.

The kids are weird right now. They love school, however they seem to love fighting and arguing even more now. It started the morning of the second day of school. I wonder if they're trying to make up for the time they don't get to argue with each other during school?

I'm pleased that they like their teachers. They come home and do their homework without prodding. I know that they're are glad to be back on a schedule again. We tried to keep one during the summer but it didn't work out or even seem necessary. We just had a lazy summer.

I had hoped to start taking Tae this week, however in light of the fact that my son's birthday is coming up in two weeks, and I would really like to get him the bass he's been looking at...well, the choice is going to get the bass guitar, and amp. If I order it tomorrow it should be here before his birthday. I will think about the Tae deal in a few weeks and see if its going to cause a problem somewhere else down the line.

Can't seem to ever win at phone tag with my best friend. Either I'm busy, forgot my cellphone when I go somewhere or she's just out of pocket. I'm glad that work is good for everyone. Nice change of pace compared to all the layoffs and short hours for my friends and family last year at this time.

They had a hearing on my child support for the oldest kids today. I didn't even go. I hope I didn't make a mistake by not hiring an attorney and going. The child support does need to be reduced since the oldest has moved out. The judge that heard the case is a very fair man - to both sides. I do have to go to the one tomorrow for the youngest two. The state handles the evaluations and has hired an atty to rep me/state in the matter. This is the first time that they have required me to be there. Dread that drive. An hour and a half to a town I'd rather not go back to. Oh well, tis life. I'll go, bear the ordeal and then bear the drive home and it will be over. I can then go on with my life. Just pot holes in the road of life.

Guess I'm through 'chatting' for now. Hope everyone out there is having a pleasant week. Sure its been busy this month for everyone with school starting back up. Has been for us.

Kay

Old 08-18-02, 12:28 PM
I can't believe how rude some people are being on the forums. From what I see it is new members getting frustrated with someone who may be a little off track on their advice. Still no excuse to be hateful. Fortunately we're all human on this forum, unfortunately that leaves a margin for error.

Please help all of us with this. You don't have to be hateful, but if you see a really rude post, then respond (with kindness) reminding them that this a community (family, neighborhood) forum, not a professional Q&A board. We are fortunate to have professionals who visit the boards and answer our questions. However, there are just as many non-professionals that have some of those same answers. We have learned from others, experience of doing it ourselves, etc. This does not classify us as pro's because we do not get paid for the job, but it does qualify us to post answers. NO WHERE on these forum boards does it state: do not answer unless you are a certified ________, It asks only a few things of you and they are listed on the community rules pages:

http://forum.doityourself.com/regist...&action=signup

Happy posting!

Kay

Old 08-20-02, 06:46 AM
Okay, I think I've found the name for the new thread (we're getting close to filling up this one!).

Surviving Life

What do you guys think?

Kay

Old 08-21-02, 07:58 PM
That title doesn't fit either. I'm not surviving well. I'm about to go crazy again. The fighting between the kids has gotten out of control again. Its not physical, just verbal. One can ask another a question and both the question and the responses are so hateful.

It also doesn't help that the house is getting messier and messier. I clean it up during the day, and by nightfall its a wreck again. For example: my husband was going to solder a joint on the television where the cable connects. He ended up breaking the board, so its ruined and costs as much to replace the board as a new tv that size. That wasn't the problem. Its the mess on my kitchen table. The dirt from inside the tv, plus the tools are all scattered everywhere. The dinner dishes are half on the table and half on the counters. We were doing so well there for awhile, and now its a complete turn around and right back where we started before. I have to have help around here. I can't think straight in this mess of a house and I can't seem to even make a dent in it lately.

My youngest didn't want to eat with the rest of the family so now he's crying because everything is gone. Too lazy to even fix a sandwich. Expects me to do it. He will be 10 next month.

I sent Elizabeth to her room too (hateful mouth) so now shes talking to her sister through the walls as loud as she can, and popping her gum as loud as she can. I am sincerely trying hard to not let it get to me. To not let them win. I would like to just get in my truck and go somewhere else right now. That's really sad. Usually its the kids that want to run away. Nope, not in our house. They don't want to run away, I DO.

Guess I'm going to go get lost in a book. Maybe calm down a little, and the junior barbarians will go on to sleep.

Kay

Old 08-23-02, 08:42 PM
ER time again

Right now I'm watching my nephew and nieces. Jeff had to take Susan to the ER. She hit her head a few days ago, and now she's got black between her eyes. We're waiting to hear what they say.

I called my best friend (the nurse) and asked her what could cause that, and she was the one who said to get her there tonight since it could be a sign of something wrong, some type of side effect from the knot that raised after she hit her head. Susan doesn't have headaches or blurred vision, so that's a really good sign.

Will post back when I know more.

Kay

Old 08-25-02, 11:51 PM
Update: Susan's fine, and I'm sorry they had to go through all that. It took them 3 hours before they got to a room, and then another hour before the doc showed up. He said that she was fine, it just took awhile before the blood flowed down to her eyes. Still doesn't make sense to me because it happened 48 hours before that. Also, when I saw her the next morning when they got the kids, the black was gone, but it looks like large blood blisters inside the corner of her eyes. I hope these docs know what they're doing. She feels fine, so that's a point in our favor.

Had a run in with my dogs today. Today they discovered that they could clear the back fence without effort and did so. I was shopping when the kids called. I thought for sure that one of the kids tried to go in the backyard and the dogs came out the gate. Mike (hubby) had already gotten the two catahoulas (Angel and Junior) in there, and was investigating what the kids said had happened (they jumped over the front fence off the a/c unit) while they looked for Chloe (lab). No scratches, and no way they could have gotten on top of it. He turns around and both catahoulas are gone. I was already home when he called again, but had gone down the street before us so I could circle around to see if I could find Chloe. Found both her and Junior on the street behind us. I put them in the truck an when I got home found that the neighbord behind us grabbed her before she could get any further and brought her here.

Well, this created more than one problem. My next door neighbors had to put their dog on a chain since my kennel was used as fencing to keep him out of our yard. This is what has me baffled as to why the dogs decided today was the day to go over the fence behind us. These dogs have been able to clear all 3 fences without a problem. They never had, even when Bear would jump our side fence and head over to the neighbor beside us' fence and jump it to freedom. We had to take the kennel pieces down and they put Bear on a chain. Worse than that, the poor dogs had to stay in my truck while we errected the kennel.

I HATE dogs on chains. I also hate the fact that I have 3 dogs in a double kennel right now. I didn't know what else to do. I haven't priced fencing yet, but it looks like we may have to go ahead and take out a loan to have one put up. All 3 fences surrounding the yard (side and back) are not ours. On the front side yard we have a 6 foot wood fence. We had 2 kennel pieces on the drive side to keep them inside the backyard. I had hoped to get a wood fence, but due to costs I may end up with a cyclone against cyclone (neighbors'). Yukky. It was bad enough on Bear's side of our yard where the two met (kennel pieces to cyclone). Grass grows up in between so its hard to reach to cut. I also would like to keep our dogs and Bear from running up and down the fence barking at each other. It is annoying at 2 a.m. for me, and I know for the neighborhood, to have to listen to them.

Jeez, seems we never get ahead. Too many kids, too many animals. Oh well, life at its finest again.

Kay

Old 08-28-02, 05:24 PM
tired

I decided that this week I was going to start our Super Fling Boogie early. For anyone that doesn't know, I'm a member of a group that receives emails daily, usually 15 spread out through the day, reminding me of simple things that I need to be doing. My fav is: do you know where your laundry is? Usually either still sitting in the washer mildewing, or in the dryer crumpling up. Anyhoo, we do this Super Fling deal several times during the year. I'm ready for this one. I am a pack rat! Last spring I tossed over 500 pounds of clutter. I kid you not. Everything from an outdate VCR that I had intended to try to fix, to furniture that had been stored since 1990. Not all of it went into the dumpster mind you, but the library got a lot of books that I would never read, the recycle bin got all those newspapers, and goodwill got a lot of nice furniture that I had doubles of, maybe even 3 of.

I started in my daughter's room. Hers was the only one that had carpet left in it. Unfortunately before we purchased the home, the roof had leaked. All of this information was disclosed in the contract. No structural damage, however the carpets always smelled musty. Sorry kiddo. You now have hardwood floors and my house smells so much nicer. This carpet looked okay from the top, but once I made the first cut (making it smaller so I could carry it out) I realized just how rotted the back of the carpet was. I cut it with a dull, rusty old box cutter without a problem. The floors underneath aren't beautiful, but they are very close to it. A little sanding, filling in the nail holes from the carpet tack strip, and removing the dripped on paint and then they'll be ready to refinish.

Then the dogs got out again. That was an adventure today. Two men found the dogs up toward the main street through our town. Its a busy street and I'm grateful for two things. One, the dogs didn't get hit, and two, that I didn't have to pay for damage to someone's car after they hit them. Spent today laying chicken wire around the base of their cage and on the ground so they wouldn't dig. These beasties are driving me crazy right now. Of course, while chasing the dogs down I missed the deadline to remove 3 movies I had rented. Yeah, more fees.

Maybe, hopefully tomorrow I can start on my advanced fling-boogie. It doesn't officially start until Sept. 2nd, but I have put off cleaning up and out my house for too long. The last time I did this I was amazed at how much larger my home became, and how much happier I was in it. So much easier to clean and vacuum when you don't have to move 15 things just to clean one area or dust. I even got rid of half of my dishes. I had too many, and they never seemed to get cleaned since we always had more. It has also left room for food to be stored so I could remove the temporary shelving that I used for canned goods. That makes the kitchen look much cleaner and nicer without all the makeshift stuff.

Oh well, guess that's it for now. Time to wrestle with the kids and their homework.

Kay

Old 08-28-02, 06:21 PM
Surviving Life

Sounds like kaybyrd has been busy and surviving while I was gone. I will be out of town for another stretch of days, beginning this Friday.

It's o.k. to want to run away from home. Sometimes it helps to do so, or at least put yourself in time out. Keeping a radio in the bathroom can come in handy. Turn up the volume so you don't have to listen to the kids argue.

Sibling rivalry is natural. Ignoring it is the best defense. Once they see they get no reaction from the parents, they find something else to do. There should be zero tolerance for physical violence and profanity.

I can remember saying, "Take it outside and work it out before you come back in. If you come back in and I have to work it out for you, you will not like what I will have to do." They worked it out.

Old 08-30-02, 06:02 AM
Its been very slow on the forums lately. I guess everyone is either busy or their lives are going good.

Sweeping Changes. That's the name of a book that I have on my bookshelf. The subject is about attitudes while performing everyday duties and chores. I'm going through sweeping changes in my life. Hard to change old attitudes though. Attitudes are just habits, and bad ones are hard to break! Routines, those are hard to establish, yet I would venture to say that lack of routines is simply bad routines, or routines performed randomly/occassionally.

I haven't been much in the mood for tossing and organizing. I look at this house and it is overwhelming. The desire is there, just not strong enough yet. Seems the more I toss/give away the more I find to fill the spots. Spring loaded or something. Today will more than likely be spent changing lightbulbs. Seems they all go out at the same time.

When we bought this house I loved it. I couldn't figure out why I don't like it now. Now I have an idea. The simple fact that I have my stuff in here now, and it is way too much stuff. I've already gotten rid of one chair and the loveseat in the family room. I thought it would cause problems. It hasn't. We use what we have, we just have too much. Such a mess. Not even sure where to start. I tried the 'which spot bugs me the most' approach but it all bugs me .

Oh well, guess today I will work on my website for awhile. Maybe I'll get restless from sitting too long and get busy on the house. Maybe not.

Kay

Old 08-31-02, 11:36 PM
Am having major computer problems. Both went down at the same time. Not sure what the problem is, but I hope I can figure it out. Rebooting several times during a session is a pain in the tail. Sometimes I can't even get them back up all the way again.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the cats have been playing behind my desk again. Probably a loose connection somewhere since I can unplug the notebook from the network and the notebook will boot just fine. Time to clean the desktop anyway. Hate it since it means I have to pull the desk out away from the wall to reach the back of the tower to unplug things.

Guess I need to get to bed. Its 1:30 here and I couldn't sleep since I can't figure out exactly what caused these two systems to act up.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

Kay

Old 09-02-02, 06:24 PM
Meadowraven
Visiting Guest
White Rabbit :)

Hope all is well with everyone, I have been just working n working n working n....you get the picture!

Got send a lil jewel I had to share, and then I'm off......

I am late for a very important date (like the Rabbit)......surprise! tonight is date night! these are very rare with each of our schedules,

Much love n prayers to all!

~~~~~~My Forgetter~~~~~~~~~~~

My forgetter's getting better
But my rememberer is broke
To you that may seem funny
But, to me, that is no joke.

For when I'm "here" I'm wondering
If I really should be "there"
And, when I try to think it through,
I haven't got a prayer!

Oft times I walk into a room,
Say "what am I here for?"
I wrack my brain, but all in vain
A zero, is my score.

At times I put something away
Where it is safe but Gee!
The person it is safest from
Is, generally, me!

When shopping I may see someone,
Say "Hi" and have a chat,
Then, when the person walks away
I ask myself, "Who was that?"

So like I said,, my forgetter's getting better While my
rememberer is broke,
And it's driving me plumb crazy
And that isn't any joke.

Old 09-02-02, 11:19 PM
Meadowraven,

Hope you had a wonderful time on your date! Thank you for the poem. Fit me like a glove. I guess I should be grateful that something is still working, even if it is my "forgetter". In fact, its getter better every day!

Seems everyone is very busy lately. That is good. Busy keeps boredom away.

Kay

Old 09-07-02, 03:58 AM
indigoblue
Visiting Guest
crazy world

Kay,
I was thinking about your cats and your computer..why is it that just when you think you have the kids settled down and you can finally begin to begin to think straight, every varmit in the house goes nuts? I arrived home from work one day a cool 45 minutes before the terrible teenagers were do home. Ahhh....just enough time to shake off a bad day at work and check out the TV before it was taken over by everyone else in the house. It seems I was too late...couldn't find the remote...hmmm ....I left it right 'there' this morning....right 'there'... where the big black cat was napping! Not under him, maybe his buddy, the other bigger black cat, sleeping on the cable box had a clue, afterall he did have that 'look' on his face. 15 minutes later, across the room, yeah thats it under the ficus tree. Cool. 30 minutes left....the remote doesn't work, should've saved myself the trouble of looking for it and just turned the TV on the old fashioned way to begin with. TV doesn't work! Oh it comes on but won't let me watch anything! All 300+ channels were locked?? Call the cable co...wait, wait, wait ...yes a human. "Oh I see the problem, you must have small children in the house and are using the feature that allows you to lock the channels that aren't suitable for small children. It's really easy to fix, just enter your password at the prompt and this will disable the 'child lock' feature. Only one problem....what's my password? Oh she couldn't tell me that, perhaps my husband had enabled the safety feature I should check with him..yeah the guy who can't 'enable' the dishwasher! "Look lady, I was the last person to see the remote 'alive' this morning and there's been no one in my house except two....cats...nah...they aren't THAT smart.... can you PLEASE push your magic button and give me back my TV?" SO just as the kids come through the door, the TV and remote are restored to their original configuration and the 2 black cats crept slowly around me off to tell their 'dumb human' story to all their friends!

Old 09-07-02, 11:12 AM
Talking

I love it! Glad to know that my cats aren't the only ones who share their 'dumb human' stories with their friends!

Kay

Old 09-15-02, 10:52 AM
Has been an extremely busy week for us here! A good one at that. Even though I've had my first bout of bronchitis in a year or so, I am still up and going after it. I come from a family of addicts (scattered throughout my family tree) so I'm terrified of becoming one. I finally listened to my doctor and have begun taking the proper medications for my illness' when they come up. I get well faster, and don't have to take near as many in the long run.

I'm surprised that my house hasn't folded up on itself since we've moved in. I have tossed, and given away so much stuff (so much that they've had to send a special truck to haul away the piles of crude outside). I seem to be goodwill to my family and friends. If they don't want something anymore, they give it to me. At one time I had 3 couches. I took them in hopes to find a home for them. Well, we all know how that goes with me. That's the reason I now have 3 dogs, and 6 cats. I bagged up my daughter's stuffed animals. I told her that she could have them back when she moved into her own place. 4 33gal trash bags full. No wonder she couldn't keep her room clean or play in there. They were lined up on the shelves, and around the edges of the wall, too. Way too many.

I have two rooms, well 1 1/2 that are finished today. My kitchen is kind of large, so I've done half of it and all of the dining room. I moved the oven so I could pull out the washer and install the new braided lines for it. Boy that was gross! I've pulled out the bottom drawer on it before to sweep out, but that isn't enough!

Ian tested for his yellow belt in Taekwondo Friday. I was so excited. The look on his instructors face was priceless. He told Ian that he did the purest form that night. It flowed, had strength and was executed perfectly. The look of pride, and astonishment on Mr. Bridgeforth's face was great, but the conversation he had with my son afterwards was worth even more.

Meagan had her first middle school dance last night. They had a great time. She and her friend Rachael went together. Of course, Rachael spent the night so I got to hear all the details of the night - over and over again. They had fun, and I'm glad.

They're still talking about this weekend. It was good. I have to admit that I will be glad when tomorrow gets here and I can settle back into my calmer routine. Been on the go so much this week getting ready for Ian's testing and also Meagan's dance.

Been good, a little tiring but a good tired. Lots to show for our efforts, and that makes it great.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, too.

Kay

Old 09-15-02, 08:34 PM
Kaybyrd

Sounds like all the little byrdies are doing well there. Sorry about the bronchitis. Glad to get the update on the reorganization of the byrdhouse.

Old 09-15-02, 10:20 PM
As you can tell the Byrdhouse gets worked on sporadically. I believe that's because after I get an area cleaned up and out it takes a long time for it to become a habit to keep it that way. Then once it is, I move to another area. I just can't believe how far its gone. I'm ashamed. I wasn't raised this way, but wasn't raised to blow money like I do either LOL.

I'll get it all together in due time. I'm proud of what I accomplished. Looks so nice, and smells fresh in my house now. Oh, you want to know gross, not too bad, but the kids have been carrying their lunch lately so we can save money for our Nashville trip to see the Vegas child. I took down their lunchboxes from last year to check the condition, and see what we needed. I found, in one of the boxes a subway sandwich from last year! How gross. I've learned from that experience to not assume that my children will clean out their boxes afterschool.

Kay

Old 09-16-02, 08:28 PM
I broke down and called the doctor today. I thought I had this stuff licked, but apparently not. Its getting worse. I've coughed until I have a headache, and the OTC meds aren't working anymore.

As much as I hate going to the doctor, I honestly cannot wait to go this time. I'm surprised that I got an appointment this soon. Dr. Avent used to be a nurse practitioner so I usually could get in to see him anytime. Now he's an official doctor. I love his bedside manner, and he spends all the time you need until your questions are answered. Sometimes this means your wait to see him is longer, but it is worth it. Very thorough, and also reads your entire chart to see what you've been in for previously, what worked, what didn't...etc. He's one of the few doctors that doesn't want to put me on zoloft, valium or prozac just because I'm tired all the time and stressing a little. He would rather work on my diet, exercise and coping skills than medicate me. My children also feel very comfortable seeing him too. Makes it so much easier to find a cure for my kids' illness when they will talk to the doctor.

Going to go back to bed now. Mike fed the kids and got them into bed so no worries tonight.

Kay

Old 09-17-02, 09:14 AM
Missed my doctors appointment. Man, what a bummer. I got up, got the kids off to school and then climbed back into bed. I reset the alarm, and remember hitting the snooze several times...after that I remember nothing.

I will blame it on the a/c. It hasn't been this pleasant in the house all summer. I turned it down lower hoping to cool off and ease up my coughing. I really didn't think it would get much cooler in here since it hasn't accomplished that at all this summer, but it did. Ended up having to use blankets last night. I sure didn't want to turn it back up since it felt so good to sleep cool.

I am feeling much better today. Little coughing, no headache and no sneezing. If it starts to get worse later today I will go ahead and schedule another appointment. I do feel good right now, a lot better than I have in weeks.

Kay

Old 09-17-02, 08:08 PM
Sicko Kaybyrd

You know your body. If you feel you need medication, go to the doctor. Most of the bugs will run their course. If your bronchitis turns into pneumonia, you will need antibiotic. With penumonia, they usually insist that you be hosptilalized. I always refuse.

I am proud that you do not succumb to presprictions that want to control you and may be addictive. I can't remember to take my hormone pills (speaking of which I'll be back in a minute).

I attended an Eastern KY Home Builder's meeting last night. Contractors reported that employees were suffering from Ragweed. It was, however, Monday, and I questioned the hangover angle. The guys chuckled.

Old 09-19-02, 12:52 PM
demoted, thank goodness

I am no longer the goddess of hack 'n cough! Maybe a lesser fairy or something, but am doing much better today. Almost 2 whole days without medication!

Very good since I can't drive while taking it and needed to pick my nephew up from school today. I also start the tae deal on Monday so I need to get well!

Kay

Old 09-19-02, 07:01 PM
Hack N Cough

Nadine, my bookkeeper, was out with hack n cough today. She called me this evening to report that she would not be at work tomorrow. I told her that was fine, I'll go shopping with her pay check after work tomorrow.

I am knocking on wood. I have not had my annual bout of hack n cough so far. January before last, I had pneumonia. That was not a good deal. I had never had it before. I thought I had coughed and broken a rib. The pain was so bad that I cried. They gave me pain pills and antibiotics and wanted to put me in the hospital. I refused because I have a business to run. The pain pills, as usual made me sick as a dog. The pain was more fun than the pills. Codeine & morphine are not for me. The antibiotics did the job and I hope my lungs aren't scarred.

Glad you are feeling better Kaybyrd. The business does not run without the CEO in tip top shape.

Good luck with the Tae. Once you get your black belt, I'll give you a couple of addresses so you can make some house calls.

Old 09-20-02, 06:23 AM
I know its not going to be easy getting my black belt! I'm wondering if I can simply survive class. I am also afraid of slowing the class down. I may talk to him about training only a day or two per week at first. These kids are so agile and can learn the movements quickly. This is one of the main reasons that he is starting an adult class. Its going to take us a little longer to regain the flexibility and strength that we once had, plus avoid injuries.

Meagan and I were playing around last night. I told her to watch my cool side kick. We all died laughing. My side kick might disable a cat, or hurt someone's shin. That's how unflexible I am! I was taught to defend myself with my arms/hands. Taekwondo uses a lot of kicks. We use our hands too. Afterall, roughly translated TaeKwonDo means the way of the foot and hand...or, foot and hand way. Maybe I'll balance out this way. After my last husband I learned how to block, and to throw defense punches and use my legs as a means to get away when the chance comes. Fortunately I've never had to use those learned techniques my brother taught me after the divorce.

I thought about all you self-employed, and business owners last night. Mike finally got paid for a side job he did months ago. The guy gave a bunch of excuses why the payment would have to wait, and then we couldn't find him. He turned up yesterday and paid Mike. If Mike didn't have his regular job we would be in trouble. Some jobs we never see the money for, and others only part of what was agreed upon. I don't see how you guys handle all that. It just goes to show that everyone needs to pay their bills. If you owe someone money PAY IT. Their families and employees depend upon that money to survive! I don't care how big or small the company is that you owe money: pay it!

Okay, off my little bitty soap-box with my little bitty side kick . Am going to browse the forums for few and then work on my website again.

Kay

Old 09-29-02, 06:59 AM
headless chicken returns!

Too much on my plate and can't seem to get the priorities straight lately.

I've been bad not to post in these forum areas, please forgive me. I hope that everyone has read Tom's sticky-notes about co-moderators. I could use a little help here guys! I truly hate when answers go unanswered for very long. I used to have a system for checking new posts, but forgot it. Could it be the age thing again?!?

I used to have a 16 yo mind in a 30 yo body. Now I have a 40 yo body with a 40 yo brain to go with it. I just tell myself after living a full life of 40 years, that I have earned the right to a little senility .

The kids are doing great lately. I've tried to more involved and that has helped. Just having to learn to re-balance the rest around it. The website is coming along great. Problem: its still mostly on the computer here and not on the server. If I wasn't so picky it would already be up there. Its finished, per se, but I keep making changes as I work on a new section to add.

Had a visit from my mother-in-law weekend before last. It was so nice to see her. I hate that none of us can make it down there and she has to drive up to see us. She's just grateful that all her boys live in the same city. Us wives don't like all the boys living in the same city, tho. We wish at times that we weren't so close together. These guys shared an apartment for about 5 years so when they married and moved in with their new partners it was like them going through a divorce. So strange. They're getting better about focusing on their new families instead of each other. Blood is thicker than water, but sometimes it is ridiculous how they put their new responsibilities on hold to tend to each other. Oh well, I went into this marriage knowing all this.

Guess I'm going to get my pad and paper out to walk around the house and yard to see what all needs to be done. I will probably just start by doing the little stuff so maybe I'll get on a roll and hit the bigger projects, too.

Kay

Old 09-29-02, 07:31 PM
Daughters-inlaw

Well, the man I was married to for 25+ years and am still married to, despite the separation. Yes, the sons, his brothers, were the light of their beloved mother. Daughters-in-law were an inconvenience. Well, whoopty-doo!!! They were a mutual admiration society. I was insignificant as were the other daughters-in-law.

After about 25 years or so, I decided-----------"I want to be me!"

He took everything I every worked for and everything I owned, including my motel that I bought. Why? Women can't leave the hearth fire. My attorney told me all of my issues were philosophical. The next paragraph that I would write here would be kicked off the site. Anyhoo, kaybyrd, Queen of the byrdies, I know your soul. You will work everything out. You are the Queen.

Old 09-29-02, 07:59 PM
Twelvepole you always lift my spirits with your encouragement!

I have two ex-mother in laws like that. Such a pain. Hard to attend anything family related when its like that. Fortunately, my mother in law adores me and her other daughter in laws. If she doesn't, she fakes it well! She always tells me how much she loves me and appreciates me. She's always honest with me, too. She can be, since I don't take offense since she gives it lovingly.

She doesn't stay at our house when she visits even though ours is the calmer of the three. The reason, she can't stand my cats. She respects that I have cats, and I respect the fact that she can't stand them. Neither of us holds it against each other.

I miss having her down the hall from me (she stayed 3 doors down when I lived in the apts) and would offer help/advice with the kids. I have two wonderful moms that I can call any time. Today I am truly blessed where that is concerned.

The house list has to be reversed. I got overwhelmed before I even left the room where the computer is. I will instead be making lists of things I've accomplished. I ended up sleeping most of the day away due to feeling like a failure. I am not a failure. Failure is an event, not a state of being.

My kitchen sink is clean, the clothes are washed, kids fed and in the bed. Lunch money is already laid out for tomorrow. So are their clothes. Now when I do go back to bed I will try to focus on what I've done for the day instead of kicking myself into insomnia about what didn't get done today...I hope .

Kay

Old 10-01-02, 04:47 AM
indigoblue
Visiting Guest
kay
You remind me so much of myself a few years back. One morning while taking the kids to school, my son popped in a CD and told me this song was about me...'Well the day has just begun and I'm already runnin late. With too many irons in the fire and too much on my plate. I'd be pullin out my hair if I could just get one hand free. I'd stop the world if I could find the key!" You know, It described me to a T but the amazing thing was, my son realized it. Good that he should pay attention at his age to what other people are going thru, bad that I was such an obvious wreck! So like you, instead of concentrating on everything left to do, I began to appreciate all that I managed to accomplish in a day and relax a little. Funny, I never managed to get lunch money out the night before! Believe me a little R&R and a new perspective makes a huge difference. When we look around the world and even our own communities and see the poverty and less fortunate and know, by experience in my case, that things could be a whole lot worse, we can almost appreciate the new challenges that face us. We've come a long way! And besides, if your family is anything like mine, the work will be there waiting on you cause nobody else is gonna do it!

Old 10-01-02, 05:49 AM
My kids tease me about coloring my hair. I tell them that I have to or people will know what hellions they are .

I had a hair stylist that called them honor streaks. She said that we earned every gray hair when we survived another day with our kids. I don't know exactly how gray I am anymore. I do know, however, that my dark blonde hair is reflecting sunlight off the top like a mirror. Must be time to color again. I've chosen this lighter color, which is so far from my natural dark brown so that the roots don't show as bad...then again, the roots are gray so it doesn't matter anymore.

Kay

Old 10-03-02, 06:57 PM
backwards`

Applying my backwards deal of listing what I've accomplished is really helping me more than I thought it would. I ended up cleaning the kitchen, washing clothes, paying bills (arggghhh how I hate doing that!), fixing both windows in the truck so they actually roll up, fixed the blower on the truck so I can get the fog off the inside of the windows (really bad at night since I couldn't roll up the windows and the truck is pretty damp inside), cleaned out the truck, put oil and water in it, changed the air filter, the pcv valve, and the breather filter. Best part is: I didn't hurt myself this time .

After that, I braved my first night at taekwondo as a student. I didn't know that I had some of these muscles and body parts. Quite a workout! Looks so much easier sitting on the side watching.

Now...I'm off to bed. Its only 9 p.m., but I AM TIRED!

Nite guys!

Kay

Old 10-03-02, 07:53 PM
kaybyrd's new truck

If you keep doing things to that truck, it's going to be like new.

Old 10-04-02, 06:00 AM
new truck? hmmmm....

Oh, I wish it was that easy. Lately I haven't been keeping up with the little things and big things are starting to go wrong.

I just am not as agile as I used to be when it comes to this truck. I have to sit inside the engine compartment to work on a lot of things since the truck is big (not jacked up, just a full-size blazer) and its hard for me to get in there an manuever like I used to do. I also need to work on my frustration level. I'm trying to learn to hum or sing a song in my head while I work on things to keep me in a good or at least level mood.

As with the house, when I fix one thing, I discover (uncover) 10 more things that need to be done. I don't know how to get mold out of the carpeting. Its pretty bad, too. I don't know which is worse, disenfected moldy carpet or pulling the carpet and ruining the floorboards. One day and thing at a time. Next I will get the tires plugged and patched. I think that's a priority at this point. I have two nails in one tire, and a bolt in another. Eventually I will rework the entire steering system. I've done a lot of this type thing on other's trucks, but it isn't easy. Takes a lot of time and strength. I will try to gather the proper tools for the job this time instead of trying to wing it with what I have. Auto Zone does a tool loaner program so it doesn't mean I have to invest in things I won't use but once every 5-10 years.

I'm hoping this storm passes on through as quickly as they said so I can put the belts on it. Would hate to be in route somewhere and a belt break. Right now I feel like I'm just putting bandaids on things. We'll be safe though, for a little while longer.

I'm not as sore today as I thought I would be. As far as not being able to sleep last night, not a problem. I laid there for a little bit with my mind racing (good thoughts tho) and fell into a deep sleep. I didn't wake until the alarm went off. This is the first time in a VERY long time that I've slept soundly. I hoped that getting plenty of exercise, good strong exercise, would be the key to breaking the insomnia. So far so good. The desire to pick up a cigarette isn't as strong as it used to be. This is always an effect of me exercising. The more sedentary I am, the more I smoke. At one point I smoked 4 packs per day. I made myself cut back to 2. Still 2 packs too many. I have been told that it will take awhile to 'burn' the cigarettes out of my system, and even longer to begin healing my lungs and throat. My doctor says that if I quit now, I will begin to heal. The damage done is there, but most reversible. That is a relief. If I keep smoking that will change. I don't want to live forever, but I do want my quality of life to be good while I am alive.

Mr. Bridgeforth asked me during class what my husband thought about me taking tae. I told him that when I had mentioned it, he was okay with it. When I signed up, he seemed upset. He was very supportive last night before I left. Part of it may be that he has been wanting to do something like this but never seems to have the time. I think maybe he feels left out. I asked him last night if he would like to take with me. This could truly be a family thing. I would go back to work part time just to pay for it. It means that much to me. He then begins with: I don't know when I would have time to do it. I made the same excuses before I started. No money, no time. I can make the time, and we have the money if I don't buy anything for the computer and quit buying other gadgets. If I cook meals every night instead of eating out I can save us over $200 per week. The kids take their lunches which saves us $100 per month. If I perform maintenance on the truck and household appliances we won't get hit with major repair bills as often. See, the money is there we just put it in the wrong places. We are all limited only by time and space. This means having to set priorities. What do we want most, and what are we willing to do to achieve it.

As you said Twelevepole, motivation does come from within. Even if I get 500 emails reminding to take my garbage out or do my laundry, it is still my desire to do it that makes it happen. Sometimes when I'm the headless chicken, however, it is nice to have someone or thing point out a place to start when I'm overwhelmed.

Today I'm going to try to get organized over by my sewing table. I'm going to start making dolls again and haven't in awhile so that area has become a dumping ground for things. I can do that while I wait for the rain and wind to slow down a little.

Kay

Old 10-05-02, 07:00 AM
Went to tae again last night. Isn't our normal night but wanted to get back asap. Boy, was that a workout! I learned how to do a reverse punch, #2 front kick. Okay, maybe it didn't look like that to everyone watching, but I did my best. We also learned how to do a ... can't think of the name ... you jump backwards to kick. That was a hoot. Most of us ended up on our bottoms trying that one. In principal, very useful move. In reality, hard to do!

Today I am actually sore. Am walking around like I have blisters on my feet since my calves are so sore and stiff its hard to walk normally. Good though. I really feel good. I don't like to exercise, but this is fun and exciting for me. Since we have to practice everything on both sides of the body, I am sure that they my balance will increase over time/practice.

It is really nice to be aware of my body again. I've only been focusing on my body in regards to "am I sick", "sick in which way", and also my sanity (brain, or whats left LOL). Its nice to start putting the whole body to work. I'm even aware of my toes and fingers while working out. Pretty neat.

Gotta run (well, hobble maybe). Will check back later.

Kay

Search this Thread