Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

child support not received, now 18, Illinois

child support not received, now 18, Illinois


Old 09-20-02, 07:32 PM
willywhy's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: N. E. Illinois
Posts: 223
child support not received, now 18, Illinois

I have not received a child support payment in years. The child is now 18. I filed through d.c.f.s. in Illinois. Do I bother notifying dcfs of newly found address of exspouse. In short is there still a chance of collecting anything?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-02, 05:07 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,571
Probably depends on the courts in your state and your own perserverance, but personally I would pursue it - it is money lawfully owed to you regardless of the current age child. Why give the bum a free ride? Kind of like owing money on a car you don't own anymore; the loan company isn't likely to accept "but I don't OWN the car anymore!!!".
Old 01-13-06, 05:45 AM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
My ex quit paying when the kids were under 12. They are now in their 20's and 30's.. NY revoked his driving rights, registration, etc.. this was carried through to other states. He wanted to be able to have a car and drive, thus he had to start paying is past due child support.. It's all considered arrears... and I now get a check every week. No pay, no drive.. NY got tough on deadbeat parents... they will even go so far as providing 3 hots and a cot at the grey brick motel... the county jail.
Don't let your spouse get away with it.. make the call...
Old 01-13-06, 06:50 AM
Pendragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by iamawild1
deadbeat parents... they will even go so far as providing 3 hots and a cot at the grey brick motel... the county jail.
Don't let your spouse get away with it.. make the call...
While I agree people should pay reasonable child support, I do NOT agree with sending someone to jail for it. Debtors prison! I though that was abolished 200 years ago.
Old 01-13-06, 04:54 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 299
Post was personal opinion and did nothing to answer members original question. Arguementative at best.

Last edited by majakdragon; 01-21-06 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 05:36 AM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,268
Deadbeat dad laws are getting tougher, and rightfully so, all the time. Until recently, it has been very difficult for the custodial parent to enforce court ordered child support. Obviously, in your situation, it's still difficult - though hopefully not impossible. Keep after the bum - what he owes is a court ordered obligation - hopefully, someday he will end up living up to his responsibility.

Congrats on making it on your own without child support assistance. I have nothing but respect for those mothers/fathers who ended up raising children by themselves when their spouse "skipped out of their responsibilities". Ignore the "child neglect" post above - it's inappropriate.
Old 01-15-06, 06:40 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 299
And its not hard by any means to have his pay or taxes garnished.

DoItYourself.com Community Forum member postings must be courteous, polite and make a positive contribution to the topic discussion. Never degrade any other person or the information any member provides. Treat each other with respect, dignity, professionalism and a general high regard at all times

Oh come on. Everyone in here is an Adult.

Last edited by Slidell; 01-22-06 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Demeaning post
Old 01-21-06, 08:42 AM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,268
Yep - I've got two kids "around".... and I paid child support and more as ordered by the courts for 13 years - then turned around and paid for their college education after the court order expired. I know how difficult it is for a single parent to enforce a court order - and my personal opinion (backed up by law) is that child support is an obligation that does not end just because the child turned 18. I have no sympathy for a deadbeat dad who can't meet his obligations and responsibilities.....
Old 01-21-06, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,714
Yes, you can still go after child support regardless of the child's age.

Last edited by stickshift; 01-21-06 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 11:20 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 52

some states are considering a limit to the time it can go unchecked before someone can try to get what is owed in court. So check it out. I don't think you should go years then decide to go after someone for the first time. That is what they are checking into.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes