slim jim


Old 09-03-03, 12:07 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ohio
Posts: 49
slim jim

I used to run a tow truck and often had to use a "slim jim" ( tool to open doors after you have locked your keys in) to open locked doors but i no longer am in the business but i often see people stranded and locked out or trying to use a coat hanger to get in and i feel sorry for them and try to help.
Is it illegal for me to own and carry in my car and use a " slim jim" or other door opening devices?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-03, 10:45 PM
tae's Avatar
tae is offline
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,469
Is it legal to carry lock picks? As i understand it:

This depends on where you are. In the U.S. the common case seems to be that it is legal to carry potential "burglar tools" such as keys,picks, crowbars, jacks, bricks, etc., but use of such tools to commit a crime is a crime in itself. Call your local library, district
attorney, or police department to be sure.

Places where it *is* illegal to carry lock picks:

The District of Columbia.
Old 09-03-03, 11:19 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
Slim jim

Depending on where you live, if you get pulled over by the police you might get into trouble if you have a slim jim. Another thought is if you stop to help someone who appears to be locked out of a car, how do you know if they are the owner of the car and not a car jacker?
Old 09-04-03, 08:56 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,575
Don't bother; 99% of the cars on the road today can't be opened with a slim-jim anyway. Unless you're planning on investing in a $100 lock-out kit (and getting training on how to use the dozen or so different tools) the chances of you being to get someone in their car is slim (pardon the pun). Add to that the possibility of doing damage to either (a) wiring in the door panel for windows, locks, speakers, etc, or (b) side-impact airbags and the LEAST of your worries will be if some cop sees you with a slim-jim.

We carry slim-jims and SOME lock-out tools, but they are strictly for REAL emergencies; we do not do routine lock-outs for the reasons mentioned above. Otherwise we refer customers to a locksmith.

Here's the disclaimer that accompanies the lock-out tools where we get our towing products:

"WARNING! These tools are not sold or advertised to the general public. In accordance with federal law we sell only to locksmiths, auto repossessors, new and used car dealers and professional auto mechanics. It is the responsibility of the owner of these tools that they be used in accordance with your state and local laws."
Old 09-04-03, 11:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
windshield VIN and nearby dealership are all you need, get a new key made. -Josh
Old 09-12-03, 04:33 PM
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 589
not true,,,,,
Old 09-12-03, 07:07 PM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,575
I thought that was a little questionable, but didn't want to be the first to speak up.

Would make it awfully easy for car thieves, wouldn't it?????
Old 09-12-03, 07:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
yep, at least, smart car theives.

wont work on mercedes, their keys have to be ordered and take a long while to come in. THere was a big debacle on the local news about protecting your car, where they took VINS from random volunteer cars, and had new keys made.

Best to cover the VIN with a piece of paper so people cant read it. -Josh
Old 12-08-06, 06:21 PM
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Just a little note

You can use a vin to get a dealer to make an extra key. However, proof of ownership of the vehichle and identification is required before they will make one. This is to prevent theves from making anykey to any car they want.
Old 01-13-07, 04:08 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 58

chip keys have to be programmed.
Old 01-14-07, 07:00 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,575
Guys, you're posting to a three year old thread.
Old 03-11-07, 05:44 PM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 75
Check with a lawyer

You need to consult a local lawyer familiar with the laws of your state, county, township etc.

Good Luck.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes