Personal health record

Old 04-21-06, 06:55 PM
WGW
Personal health record

I got a letter from my family Doctor this week stating that 30 days from now, for "personal & political reasons" he will no longer be available as my Doctor.
He states that if I find another family GP, he will forward my medical file at no charge to him upon written request.
The city closest to us has 15000 people without family Doctors (thanks to our Ontario government) so the chance of me finding one any time soon is pretty well nil.

Before I approach him, I would like to know what the legalities are for me requesting he send my medical file to me personally so I have it for future reference if needed. He has about 12 years worth of my many health issues that are very valuable to me.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-06, 09:07 PM
Should turn it over to you, may have to sign a release but no big deal.

Old 04-22-06, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
He might not be able to give you the record. I'm not familiar with Canadian law, but here in the US I am not allowed to give a file to a patient. I can give them a copy, but not the original. I can only send the original to another health care provider.

Old 04-22-06, 11:21 AM
WGW
A copy is all I'd want really.
Just so if I needed attention for a previous complication I could present a history to the attending Doc so he'd be better informed for treatment.

Thanks for the replies
Regards

Old 04-22-06, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
If you only want a copy, I'd just call and ask for one. I can provide that to a patient but, although I don't, I'm allowed to charge for this, so you might have to pay for the copies.

Search this Thread