How can I get my tenants to move out?

Old 07-18-06, 08:07 AM
Unhappy How can I get my tenants to move out?

I am currently renting my home out to a family, about 5 months shy of lease expiration on a lease option. They have made it clear they have no intent of purchasing the home at the end of the lease term, and they have caused me so many headaches I have no intent of renewing their lease.

I would like them to move out as soon as possible as the stress they have caused and the progressive damage to the property is becoming more than I can bear. Any tips for getting them to leave early? At this point I am almost willing to bribe them...

(post edited)

Last edited by laluna; 07-18-06 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-06, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
A lease is a contract guaranteeing the tenants a place to live, if they meet certain requirements, like paying rent. If they have violated the lease, you could sue for an eviction. If they have not violated the terms of the lease (your post makes this seem unlikely), you're probably out of luck. Suing for evicition can take a long time. It might be simpler to just wait out the five months and let them move out on their own.

Old 07-18-06, 08:24 AM
what I would do

is send them a certified letter TODAY that you do not plan on renewing their lease which expires on xx date giving them PLENTY of notice. I would also then outline that they paid what ever for last months rent and deposit and that if the landscaping isn't returned to the yard and the house left in a reasonable condition (how bad is the wall they painted? if it's not terrible and wasn't outlined in the lease not to paint/wallpaper then just deal with it...you are probably going to have to repaint all together anyway) that you will be retaining their deposit. If there was a clause in their lease that they lose the deposit or pay a penalty for breaking the lease you can also note that if they are able to find another residence before the end of the lease date that you will not charge them the penalty for breaking the lease early....cross your fingers and hope for the best. Depending on the lease and local laws you might also be able to notify them that if they continue to stay beyond the expiration of the lease then the rent will increase and name your price.

Good luck

Old 07-18-06, 09:47 AM
IMO...I would make things easy as possible though it might be very hard and stressful for you. Only b/c they (if they were really mean and did not like you,etc.) could simply at the time the lease is up...just stay and not pay and then you'd have to evict them as Mitch17 said...and it will cost you and can take very long.

Sorry you are going through soooo much.

Old 07-18-06, 09:47 AM
The lease states all modifications to the property must be approved in writing by us, so when the painting & border was discovered by my husband during a maintenance call, he came home and asked if I had approved it. I had not. So I immediately sent a letter that stated it had to be returned to original condition prior to move out, and they were not allowed to make any further modifications without our written approval.

So I think (hope) it will be corrected before they move out.

I have considered calling if this month's rent is late again (or paid my mom again) and offering to let them break their lease. I thought perhaps I could spin it like "It appears you're having financial problems and I'd like to help."

The only problem is, if they say no, I have made myself (once again) look like a kind and compassionate landlord that they can just walk all over.

Last edited by laluna; 07-18-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-18-06, 09:51 AM
give them a incentive to move , somthing like if you vacate by aug 31 I will pay you XXX

make it worhwhile 500-1000 .

Old 07-18-06, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by laluna
I have considered calling if this month's rent is late again (or paid my mom again) and offering to let them break their lease. I

It doesn't matter who pays the rent as long as it is paid on time.

It doesn't hurt to offer but I doubt they would want out of the lease early - they have no incentive, unless you gave them one. I would however serve them with a legal notice of intent to not renew the lease. May help if you have trouble getting them to move out after the lease expires.

Old 07-18-06, 03:16 PM
thank you for all of your recommendations, you've been very helpful.

Old 07-18-06, 05:29 PM
If you wanted to get technical, they've already broken the terms of the lease by modifying the property. Though it might be hard to convince someone that painting and borders qualifies as 'modifying', which usually means structural changes, not paint, which is cosmetic.

Late rent.. again, might qualify as a violation of the lease.

All depends on what's in the lease.

I also would NOT send them a letter saying you intend to keep their deposit, or you can kiss the last months rent goodbye.

What you might do is send them a letter, indicating that, as it is your desire to sell the home, and they have no expressed in interest in purchasing it, you have decided to not renew the lease at the end of it term. Should they find other housing before the end of the term, rent is current and the home left in reasonable condition, you will permit them to break the lease early without penalty beyond damages and cleaning that would normally come from the deposit.

Marksr: She is saying the rent was paid _to_ a 3rd party, not by a 3rd party.

Old 07-18-06, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Pendragon
Marksr: She is saying the rent was paid _to_ a 3rd party, not by a 3rd party.
I read that the rent was paid by 3rd party (mom), not to. As mark said, that is ok.

Old 07-19-06, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
new glasses/bi-focals and I still can't see

Old 09-17-06, 12:22 AM
One other thing you should do is get a copy of your state and city laws governing rentals and leases. If any legal action is required, these are the means by which your case will be adjudicated. Most laws tend to favor tenants in all but the most egregious cases, so make sure you understand what you can and can't do before initiating an action.

Bribing is not such a bad thing - Pendragon and Marksr are both on the right track.

Best wishes.