Electric Company BS

Old 07-24-06, 03:28 PM
Electric Company BS

I am having a small problem with my ele. co. (Kentucky Utilities). I receive a letter in the mail today from them and out of the blue they inform me that:

The meter base on this residence is too high and prevents us from safely performing routine work. This letter is to notify you that we need the meter base lowered to a level that meets standards. I am enclosing a print that shows the acceptable height for the meter base, between 4 and 6 feet above ground level.
Please have this situation corrected by Aug. 17, 2006, failure to do so will result in the service being disconnected until corrections have been made. You may contact me if you have any questions.
What kind of bull is this and can they legally cut off the service for that reason. My house was built back in 1973 and they have never had a problem. The date on the "Customer Service Guide" drawing is dated 11/87. The "cut-off" date is 8-17 and I only got the letter on the 24. So they are only giving me 3 weeks to have this done!!!!! Now I live in a single story home with a basement that 1/4 of it is a garage so when you pull up my drive way you are actually at the basement level and the meter box is "in-line" with the living level of the house on the side of the garage.

Another thing I was wondering, is that they have a utility pole right in the middle of my property in my back yard. Is there a law that gives the utility co. the right to put poles where ever they feel like it? If so where can I find that law?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by newhomeowner05
Another thing I was wondering, is that they have a utility pole right in the middle of my property in my back yard. Is there a law that gives the utility co. the right to put poles where ever they feel like it? If so where can I find that law?
If you just bought the house, you should have a copy of the Preliminary Title report and it should state their rights, for instance, you'll see water rights, easements, right of way, etc.

Old 07-24-06, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Electric companies usually recieve a right of way for their equipment at the time that service is first installed on the property. I do know that new installations are required to have the meter box within a certain height limit/minimum.

IMO a quick cheap fix would be to build up the ground around the area of the meter. Having the meter lowered by an electrician could be quite costly. If adding soil isn't feasable you could also build a ramp. landing or some type of wood structure to bring the meter to their specs.

I would also think that contacting the utility with a plan to rectify the problem would get you extra time to complete the job. After all they want to keep you as a customer, they just want it to be safe and convenient for their employees to accurately read the meter.

Old 07-24-06, 04:33 PM
nap
Ok, how high is your meter from the ground?

Old 07-24-06, 06:18 PM
>What kind of bull is this

Sounds like someone finally noticed and reported it. Maybe a new meter reader that's shorter than the previous meter reader.
You must make 'reasonable accomodations' so that they can read the meter. That means for example, the meter can't be locked away, not even behind a fence/gate, and yes, they must be able to see it.

>can they legally cut off the service for that reason.

If your installation doesn't meet their standards, I'd say yes.

>is that they have a utility pole right in the middle
>of my property in my back yard. Is there a law

Only if you want power.
Entrance lines can only be drapped so far before they need another pole. Currently in my area, it's 100'.
Two homes near me with above ground service had to have new poles set to meet the updated 100' requirement. One got it slap next to their driveway.

Don't like it? There's always solar or go underground...

Short of moving the meter panel, I'd erect some steps to it.

Old 07-24-06, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
Electric companies usually recieve a right of way for their equipment at the time that service is first installed on the property. I do know that new installations are required to have the meter box within a certain height limit/minimum.

IMO a quick cheap fix would be to build up the ground around the area of the meter. Having the meter lowered by an electrician could be quite costly. If adding soil isn't feasable you could also build a ramp. landing or some type of wood structure to bring the meter to their specs.

I would also think that contacting the utility with a plan to rectify the problem would get you extra time to complete the job. After all they want to keep you as a customer, they just want it to be safe and convenient for their employees to accurately read the meter.
The way they have read the meter since we lived here, 2 years as renters and about 6-9 months as owners, they come up here with their little boom truck and a guy gets in his bucket, raises up, reads the meter, and back down and on his way. The thing that absolutely pisses me off is that even when it come "standard" in their book, it has been 19 years!!!!! And they turn around and give three weeks for it to be fixed to the way they want it.

Here is a very primitive (not exactly to scale) drawing of the side of my home where the meter box is located. The yellow square is the meter box. On the left, the incline are stairs that go up to the sun room on the back of the house. The green is a flat spot in the yard about 4 feet deep from the retaining wall before the land slopes up to the level of the door.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...wner/House.jpg

Old 07-24-06, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by newhomeowner05
The way they have read the meter since we lived here, 2 years as renters and about 6-9 months as owners, they come up here with their little boom truck and a guy gets in his bucket, raises up, reads the meter, and back down and on his way.

I'm really suprised that the electric company let it slide this long. SOP is for an employee in a small truck to come and walk the different meters, reading them. Sounds like somebody finally asked "why are we making a special trip with a boom truck to read this meter'

I see no way for you to get out of fixing this. Hopefully the elec co. will work with you allowing time to get it rectified.

Old 07-24-06, 07:15 PM
nap
If you talk with the power company, I would suspect they may give you some more time if you show proof you are actually in the process of bringing the situation within their guidelines.

As others have stated, it is surprising that it has been allowed this long.

Just an odd question but was the person you bought the house from an employee of the power company or possibly some governmental agency?

It looks like one of those situaions that "get overlooked" because of a few connections but when the house sells, they require the work to be done.

That installation would definatley not be allowed anywhere I do business today.

Talk with them, I doubt they are totally without compassion.

Old 07-24-06, 07:43 PM
they read mine with binoculors , its in a porch with a lot of stuff that makes it prety inacessable I talked to the reader and he said no problem and showed me the binoculrs he caries .

I would talk to the meter reading dept and see if that might bbe a option .

also I beleive some new meters can be read remotley , might want to see if that could be availible option

Old 09-07-06, 05:29 AM
Thumbs up Meter Socket Adapter

There are devices available to the utilities which rotate the meter 90* so that the face of meter would face the man door shown in your drawing on the left. KU can purchase these from Ekstrom Industries and Marwell Inc.

Search this Thread