Plantiff Judgement Question

Old 10-18-06, 12:43 PM
Angry Plantiff Judgement Question

Hello everyone. As my tag says; "At My Place...What usually can go wrong....DOES!"

6 years ago my wife had a credit card charge dispute. She did not receive the service that she was charged for. She filed a timely dispute with the card provider and received no assistance. It went through 2 collection agencies with her replying to every letter advising them of the dispute and then a collection attorney who took her to court for nonpayment. We were looking forward to our day in court to put this dispute to rest once and for all. However when it was all said and done the judge ruled with the plantiff and issued a judgement for my wife to pay the now severally inflated bill.

Our question is - If we ignore the judgement, what can potentially happen? She does not own any property jointly or otherwise. She is not employed and has 2 cars registered in her name with no open notes.

We still feel that the CC did not honor their billing rights and that we did everything in our power to obtain the services and when that did not happen file a dispute with the credit grantor for their help and support. They provided no assistance and continued to bill us for the service item, its interest and late fees for non payment. Now we have their added attorney's fees.

What can we do.

Thanks,

Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-06, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Around here, judgments are good for 20 years. Once we get one, we garnish the wages of those against whom we have the judgment and get 20% of their gross income until the bill is paid in full.

Old 10-18-06, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Sounds to me like you are doing battle with the wrong people.
It's the store or service provider that you should be dealing with over the unjust charges.
The service provider and credit card company are two totally separate entities.

Besides, because you have a judgement against you it is pretty much a legally done deal.
Pay the bill or they will hound you and the mark will stay on your wife's record for a long time.

Old 10-19-06, 07:10 AM
Question Was a Scam

Thanks for the feedback. The service company was a scam, we disputed it with the credit card before they paid the supplier. They still paid them and shortly afterward they {service co.} went out of business. We did everything correctly in disputing this claim. Why do the credit cards offer a bill of rights if they themselves do not uphold what they state? This was a $495.00 service fee charge that now is around $1500.00 with the invalid accrued interest charges, late fees and of course now their attorney fees. Because it was a small amount we did not qualify for free counseling and we could not afford our own so we represented ourselves. We use credit cards to protect us from things like this - and still we got no support. Garnishing zero income gives them zero dollars. Can they keep adding fees? If not maybe we wait out the 20 years.

Thanks again,

Doug

Old 10-19-06, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Again, I only speak for Wisconsin, but judgments here accrue 12% interest per year. If they garnish your or your wife's wages, that costs $85 for 13 weeks, then it happens again if there is still a balance. Keep in mind the twenty years I mentioned is here, could be even longer in your state.

Search this Thread