divorce is still haunting me!!!!!

Old 11-03-06, 02:04 PM
Angry divorce is still haunting me!!!!!

i have a question? i have been divorced for 4 yrs.in the divorce i gave up the house to my ex. i didnt want it.it is in my divorce papers that he is solely responsible to pay the bank the loan and i wasnt to be included now my ex hasnt paid payments for 6 months and the bank is after him and are gonna forclose on it my problem is there after me also i told them what my divorce papers said and made out 2 letters to say why i shouldnt be involved can they still come after me? thank u for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-06, 04:58 PM
If you are signed on the mortgage, it is likely they will come after you. At the time the divorce papers, you should have requested your name to be removed from the mortgage. If in doubt, contact your divorce attorney.

Old 11-03-06, 05:00 PM
It would seem that a legal problem such as this ought to be referred to your attorney. Oftimes, a letter from an attorney will garner more attention than one from an individual.

Old 11-04-06, 11:10 AM
Well babygurl, you're not going to like the answer, but the simple fact is that the LENDER made a deal with YOU and YOUR EX. There is NOTHING that a divorce decree can do to change that!

IMO your divorce ATTORNEY screwed up (assuming you had one), by allowing you to finalize the divorce with your name still on the mortgage and deed. This is something that they should have learned in their third week of CONTRACTS in law school

Sorry about the bad news.

frank

Old 11-04-06, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by slumlordfrank
Well babygurl, you're not going to like the answer, but the simple fact is that the LENDER made a deal with YOU and YOUR EX. There is NOTHING that a divorce decree can do to change that!

IMO your divorce ATTORNEY screwed up (assuming you had one), by allowing you to finalize the divorce with your name still on the mortgage and deed. This is something that they should have learned in their third week of CONTRACTS in law school

Sorry about the bad news.

frank
thank u for the info yes i had a lawyer and she was a screw up for sure

Old 11-09-06, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by babygurl
i have a question? i have been divorced for 4 yrs.in the divorce i gave up the house to my ex. i didnt want it.it is in my divorce papers that he is solely responsible to pay the bank the loan and i wasnt to be included now my ex hasnt paid payments for 6 months and the bank is after him and are gonna forclose on it my problem is there after me also i told them what my divorce papers said and made out 2 letters to say why i shouldnt be involved can they still come after me? thank u for any help
If you were a co-signer on the loan, then yes, they can still come after you. Provided, of course, that your ex didn't refinance the house after the settlement with a loan soley in his name. (Always a good idea to mandate in a divorce proceeding when you're giving up your interest in the home.)

Old 11-11-06, 11:06 AM
same thing happened to me! my ex had his vechicle repoed and i was a co signer even though the divorce papers stated it was his financial responsibility i got sued because he filed for bankruptcy. they settled for 1/2 which i'm still paying on!! only way to get your name off things is to have them refinance

Old 11-18-06, 04:38 AM
divorce still haunting me

thank you all for youre replies.

Search this Thread