Indiana Statue of Limitation

Old 11-13-06, 03:13 PM
Indiana Statue of Limitation

Just need some advice. I Recieved a court otder to appear.The judgement Date for this is 22May 1995. My Question is this is over 10 years ago and does this apply for the Statute of Limatation Law? Can they still go after Me after 11 1/2 years?

This is for breaking a lease agreement on a apartment.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
An attorney familiar with Indiana law would be your best source of info. Here in WI, judgments are good for 20 years (and accrue 12% interest per year).

Old 11-13-06, 05:21 PM
What was the date of the postmark? Some mail has been known to take years to get to the recipient. Courts can change the deadline for filing claims in small claims court. Check with your local clerk of the court for statute of limitations on landlord tenant disputes. A Google for the deadline for filing for landlord tenant disputes showed six years, but this info may not be current.

Old 11-13-06, 05:24 PM
nap
Indiana Statutes of Limitation

Breach of contract for sale under UCC: 4 years.

Unwritten accounts or contracts and promissory notes or written contracts for payment of money executed after August 31, 1982: 6 years.

Written contracts unrelated to the payment of money: 10 years.

Written acknowledgement or new promise signed by the debtor, or any voluntary payment on a debt, is sufficient evidence to cause the relevant statute of limitations to begin running anew.

Judgments: 10 years unless renewed

from:http://fair-debt-collection.com/SOL-by-State.html#23

by the statement above I would guess that a judgement in Indiana can be renewed (probably for another 10 years). I'll poke around and see if I can find it.

I just ran across another site that listed 20 years. Let's head right to the source at:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/

Old 11-13-06, 05:35 PM
nap
Well this looks like it fits what you are after:

IC 34-11-2-12
Satisfaction of judgment after expiration of 20 years
Sec. 12. Every judgment and decree of any court of record of the United States, of Indiana, or of any other state shall be considered satisfied after the expiration of twenty (20) years.
As added by P.L.1-1998, SEC.6.

From that, it would seem the SoL for a judgement in Indiana is 20 years. It looks like you'll be free and clear on 22 May, 2015.

Search this Thread