Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page > What is a state tax lien against property? BF's bad decisions..

What is a state tax lien against property? BF's bad decisions..

Old 11-18-06, 03:19 PM
What is a state tax lien against property? BF's bad decisions..

I am freaking out. BF just got a letter stating that he owes state taxes for California from 1991 for $1500 and if it isnt paid by 11/30 there may be a state tax lien against his property..we now live in Nevada.

He doesnt seem to care about it.

He also got something from again, 1995 about another amount $2000 for some kind of collections, parking tickets or something. He threw it in the garbage.

Yes, his credit score is 670-730 but this is REALLY bothering me. I am trying to tell him that this will effect him when he refinances the house in 6 months. I don't even have these bills because he throws them in the garbage.

We are looking into a HELOAN this week..maybe now we can take out a few thousand to pay off this accounts..if I can find out where they go..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-06, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
If he's this financially irresponsible, your best bet is to end the relationship. He won't change and you can't marry someone like this because they will drag you down with them. So where is the relationship really going, then? Sounds like you already own property together. Good luck.

Old 11-19-06, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. I know love can cause us to make foolish decisions but you really don't want to get dragged into his financial problems.

Old 11-20-06, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Me, too. If you enter into any financial dealings with him, just get used to the idea of having bad credit yourself. Do you own the property with him that you're going to take out the loan against? Keep in mind the property is collateral for the loan, so when he overspends on the heloan it could be foreclosed. I would suggest that if you are going to stay with him, make sure you beat him to the mail box every day. And not to beat you up anymore, but in my book anyone who "doesn't seem to care" about something that is "freaking me out" doesn't care about ME.

Old 11-20-06, 09:51 AM
Settle

Settle the debt with them. As long as they confirm in writing that the debt is paid in full. A lien just means that they could try and collect on it in the future. A forced sale of property etc. They may or may not.
Also they will charge you for taking out the lien and add it to the total. Could be about $300.

Old 11-25-06, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by courtneyclv
I am freaking out. BF just got a letter stating that he owes state taxes for California from 1991 for $1500 and if it isnt paid by 11/30 there may be a state tax lien against his property..we now live in Nevada.

He doesnt seem to care about it.

He also got something from again, 1995 about another amount $2000 for some kind of collections, parking tickets or something. He threw it in the garbage.

Yes, his credit score is 670-730 but this is REALLY bothering me. I am trying to tell him that this will effect him when he refinances the house in 6 months. I don't even have these bills because he throws them in the garbage.

We are looking into a HELOAN this week..maybe now we can take out a few thousand to pay off this accounts..if I can find out where they go..

Those will show as judgments on his credit and his scores will DROP. It will be held as a lien on the house. You will not be able to sell the house without these being taken care of first. I dont know if they would garnish wages or not to get paid. Tax liens are common, but they've got to be taken care of. They probably will not let you pay your next taxes without paying those previous ones first. Check with a tax pro on that.

Old 11-25-06, 04:59 AM
Let me show you the other side. When I was young I was the same exact way. I owed everyone and their brother and could have cared less about paying them back. My fiancee "now wife" got in my head and helped me realized how our credit would affect our future together. We now live in a nice house in the burbs and I have all the toys a guy could dream of.

Before you go worrying about paying this stuff. "Morally it should be. " What's the statute ?? 91' and 95' seem like a long time ago to be collecting all of a sudden .

Search this Thread