Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Desperate graduate student needs your ideas

Old 03-19-07, 06:25 PM

I would appreciate any input…
I got admitted in my program in 1997 as a part-time grad student, state of WA, state U.
I turned in my thesis paper in 2002 leaving one year to complete the 6 year term that I had to finish my graduate work. This is all documented by emails, etc.
For two years, my professor/graduate committee chair did not read my paper, in spite of my repeated inquiries as to why and what happened and what about the deadline questions.
In year three he assigned an associate prof. to read it. The associate prof asked for more research and work. All the time the prof was in the loop. Again I asked them about deadlines and procedure and no answer was given to me.
In 2005 I sent in the second finished paper after revisions were Okayed. My thesis was supported for going to the orals exam and was said to be “good work and a work of substance.”
In 2007 the prof had not given me an appointment for the orals exam, and the graduate office and the U president are telling me that I was not a matriculated student in 2001. They are asking me to re-apply like a new student.
They are ignoring the facts of the time-line and just blowing me off and not allowing me to get my degree.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 11:02 AM
The relationship between university and students is the new fuedalism. Tenured prof and adminisration run the show, the TA / RA and student serfs have no rights.

That being said, since you retained good documentation and copies of correspondance, why not appeal your concerns to the board of reagents? Else you could contact your state secretary of education (or whatever the equivalent is in your state), or elected congressperson or senator. Anything to help get past the stone-walling

Good luck - let us know how it plays out.