Auto accident

Old 04-10-07, 04:26 PM
VVG
Auto accident

We were rearended by a guy while on vac in california. He was going at least 90mph. It was all his fault. We have 4 kids all under 8 yo and we are all lucky to be alive. Thank God. The guy was under insured to the tune of 60K. Our policy has 50k of under ins coverage. Acc to the other ins he has no property/rents.

Our medical bills are about 200k. Who pays these bills? Does my health ins cover hosp and dr bills? I understand they can place liens on the settlement money......I have broken arm, leg skull fracture,big cuts on face.....kid lost 2 front perm teeth. Wife fractured skull...bad vac....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-07, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not a big fan of lawyers, but you need one and the sooner the better. Among other things, an attorney may advise you to file suit against the other driver for damages even if he has no assets. Six months from now he could hit the lottery.

Old 04-10-07, 06:31 PM
VVG
We have considered a lawyer and have talked to a couple. But they want 33% of settlement. Both ins co have already said they are going to pay both policies out fully....110k.

Old 04-10-07, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Theoretically, the driver who hit you is responsible for everything. He had insurance for this, just obviously not enough. You have insurance for the possibility that someone hit you and didn't have enough coverage. Unfortunately, you also did not have enough. Once both insurances have been exhausted, your health insurance company should start paying on your medical bills. Again theoretically, you can sue the individual who hit you for the rest, but the likelihood is that you'll never recover what is owed. I had a similar situation with a patient a few years ago and I significantly increased my under and uninsured policy limits afterward.