lawn company threatens to sue

Old 04-14-07, 10:48 AM
lawn company threatens to sue

Hello
My mom is having problems with a lawn company.They keep sending letters she keeps calling explaining that she never got the bill they never came out. They keep saying ignore it we have you on file don't worry about it. But she keeps getting letters and now one letter is saying if we don't get $15.50 we may turn your account over to collections or small clams court. Shes tired of this.They keep saying ignore it we have it on record you never got the bill or service. We will come out and give a free service but have not shown up. Can they really sue over $15.50. What are her legal options. Can she sue for harassment. Shes not paying for something they did not do. BTW the account is 166 days past due. thats how long this has been going on. But they won't stop.What can she do.Do they really have it on file or are they lying. Not sure I can say the name of the company.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-07, 11:40 AM
Call again. Get the person's name that says, "We have you on file don't worry about it." Tell them that you are mailing the bill to their attention and that you expect it to be taken care of immediately as this has been going on for 166 days. Also tell them to remove your mother's name from their file because she is worrying about it. Send a dated cover letter with the copy of the bill that you mail. Explain that your mother has received no services and owes no money. Keep a copy for your records just in case you hear from them. The situation may be due to a lack of communication between whoever is saying, "We have you on file don't worry about it." and whoever is doing the billing.

Old 04-16-07, 08:35 AM
OK talked to them And boy are they rude

I told them about the bill and wanting it stopped they go well its not just you we got 1,000s of bills to send out. I said I don't care you can go into the computer and change something. the service is cancelled or so they say. They can't stop the guy from coming out and spraying the lawn for the one service that never got done from last year and after that its cancelled. Yet you can look up the account name but can't stop the guy from coming out somethings fishy here.I didn't get the name.So what now. I have a feeling that its not stopped.Or they don't care.

Old 04-16-07, 09:46 AM
Call them again and ask for the status of the account. Once they confirm it's canceled, request for them to send the confirmation of cancellation either by fax or by mail. What people say over the phone is not worth as much as what's in writing.

Old 04-16-07, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
And by all means, ask to speak to a supervisor right from the start rather than going through whoever answers the phone. Doesn't always help, but often the minimum-wage person answering the phone won't be as diligent at solving your problem as someone with some horsepower. By now I would have sent them a certified letter, with delivery receipt, to their home office detailing the problem. After that, simply mark their mail "refused" and stick it back in the mailbox.

And nobody in their right mind would sue for $15.50; the filing fee even in small claims court is probably more than that.

Old 04-17-07, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
The small claims filing fee here is $85. For $15.50, we probably wouldn't even try to collect that amount beyond maybe one letter or phone call.

Old 04-17-07, 06:18 AM
Others are right about small claims court but collections is another thing. We have had a certain enormous video rental company (whom we refuse to rent from again) send one reminder to pay $3 and we legitimately forgot. Next thing we know we are in collections. It's a much faster and easier process.

Anyway, I would talk with a supervisor, and demand a confirmation of cancellation in writing. I would also send a letter (return receipt/signature required/etc.) stating you have cancelled your service, here is it in writing, you refuse to pay for any further services from the company, and state that since you have not received service since X date, you are aware you have no outstanding balance.

Realize that the bills may be sent out by a different company or department than the person you are talking with. I've gotten a nasty call saying "pay up!" and said "I did... months ago" and lo and behold when they actually check the computer, there is the payment in full.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-07, 11:03 PM
OK heres a update.after she called a canceled the guy came out and sprayed no charge. And she got a letter from them confirming that they got the cancellation.So hopefully thats the end of that.

Old 06-27-07, 05:05 PM
UPDATE I know its late. Got a call from a sale rep about a couple of months later. why did you cancell what happend explaned it to him. Well if you change your mind then came out did the free spray. so problem solved.

Old 06-28-07, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for posting back, it's always nice to hear how things turn out.