paper work for home


Old 04-19-07, 03:39 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
paper work for home

I am going through a divorce and my wife is buying a home she wants me to sign a deed of trust will this make me responsible for her home loan?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-07, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,714
A good rule of thumb is never to sign anything for an ex-anything. I'd decline.
Old 04-19-07, 04:26 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
Hopefully, you have legal representation. "Will this make me responsible for her home loan?" Yes. Depending on the language of the deed of trust, you may have the opportunity to satisfy the debt in the event of default. Typically, the trustee has the power of sale--to put the property up for sale at public auction for the amount of debt plus foreclosure costs. Language can vary greatly in deeds of trusts and spell out exactly what the trustee can do. In essence the dirty work of selling to satisfy the debt is placed upon the trustee. This places you in the middle between the lender and your ex-wife.
Old 04-19-07, 04:27 PM
nap's Avatar
nap is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: north
Posts: 4,163
This is entirely state dependent and where you are in the divorce could make a difference.

This is one of those situations where speaking with a local attorney that is privy to the entire situation would be a good idea. Since the stbx wants this, ask her to pay for a meeting with an attorney.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes