Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

what if someone posts your pic on a forum without permission ?

Old 10-08-07, 08:03 PM

I am only a member of a 2 forums this and another, I have a general off the wall question. In another forum I had a pic photoshoped of my head on a cartoon body doing a hula dance, the dance also suggest some raunchy type sex dance of a woman with coconuts for a bra and rubbing the nipple area, I am a man, the cartoon wasn't really funny, but the mods on that site did nothing to remove the post of dicipline the poster. their policy for Flaming is stated below

Here are the rules :

- No Flaming. This includes personally directed insults, baiting, name-calling, and general antagonism of a personal nature. Posts that are intentionally disrespectful of a forum member are prohibited. Any harassment or harm, whether intentional or not, of a member will be dealt with harshly. Situations that cannot be handled internally will be referred to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

my question is what can I do about it, is there any laws prohibiting the unauthorized use of someone's pic with out their permission, the pic was posted elswhere on the net.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-07, 08:13 PM
Contact the website management/owners and explain your complaint. Because we live in litigious times, you will likely find that the situation will be immediately cleared up. If not, then threaten to sue them. That will get them cooking and cleaning up the mess.

If you insist on being a member of the other website, please change your member name and fly below the radar with your posts. By keeping low profile and anonymous member name, it will deter folks from tracking you on the internet. And, choose your party animals carefully and without cameras or tape recorders.

On this website, due to copyright laws, we are required to cite sources or to a photo link website like www.photobucket.com. Topics must be DIY topic related with questions and replies and not something of the nature you describe. We are a DoItYourself.com forum that deals with questions and answers within that realm. Otherwise, if you abuse posting policies, you will be banned.

Old 10-09-07, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
I agree that the forum managers where your offensive pic is shown would be your first contact.
Second would be if the photo were hosted elsewhere.
If was being linked from a site like Photo Bucket he would be violating their policies and could have his membership revoked.

This is one thing you risk when posting pics of any type on the internet.
Your image is fairly tame however.
There are many, especially young people, who post more compromising images to be haunted by them for eternity.

Consider yourself lucky!

Old 10-09-07, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Contact the website management/owners and explain your complaint. Because we live in litigious times, you will likely find that the situation will be immediately cleared up. If not, then threaten to sue them. .

my question is what could you actually sue them for, and the pic was taken from that forum and photoshopped and hosted elswhere, I would be happy if they just deleated the post, but I think at one point I rubbed one of the mods/admin the wrong way and he making me suffer by not following the forum rules ( which the mod/admin and the site owner created ) and bringing disciplinary action against the poster

Old 10-09-07, 06:43 PM
nap
rules are rules but the enforcer can enforce them as they desire unless it is based upon a legally recognized and protected class.

How did the original photo get online?

my question is what can I do about it, is there any laws prohibiting the unauthorized use of someone's pic with out their permission, the pic was posted elswhere on the net.
yes there are laws but if they are applicable is dependant upon where and how the photo was originally placed on the net. Many websites give notice that anything posted by a user on their website becomes the property of that website. In other situations, you may have copyrights to the photo. It would make a diff.

Old 10-09-07, 06:57 PM
An acquaintance of mine in the mountains of WV is a school teacher. A student took a picture of him and imposed it on a background of a picture of marijuana. To say the least, he is quite upset. This stuff happens. I do not know if he has done anything about getting the post off the popular website. People can pretty much get away with posting of photos of anything these days. I wouldn't worry about it. You can, however, keep reporting the post until they relent. Surely the website has a report post button as this one does. Most websites are not as well moderated as ours. That's why we are tops!

Tip: Never post picture of yourself or provide any personal info, email, or anything about yourself in a public forum. If you want to post a picture of yourself, post one of Paul Newman, Robert Redford, etc. If I ever post a picture of myself, it will be Katherine Hepburn, Sophia Loren, or other. Remember, we are incognito here!

Old 10-09-07, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
How did the original photo get online?
this pic was taken by someone at a gathering with a camera phone while I was posing for another pic with a friend, they walked up and snaped the pic

Old 10-09-07, 07:33 PM
I did send the mod a PM, but I dont think he cares about removing the entire thread where I was later was flamed for complaining about the pic, I really dont want to stoop to that level, but I think the only way to get over it would be to make light of it, have a better comeback for the flaming by other posters and just ride with it.........or totally loose my cool blast everyone with horribly rude remarks, call the mod of the favortism and be done with them, its just a discussion forum for G---sake

Old 10-09-07, 07:42 PM
Simply ignore the post. Do not lower yourself to their level. Abandon that website or reregister with a different name and reveal no personal info or pix if you have the need to participate in forums on a website that is not professionally monitored.

Old 10-09-07, 07:43 PM
nap
Originally Posted by rentprop1 View Post
this pic was taken by someone at a gathering with a camera phone while I was posing for another pic with a friend, they walked up and snaped the pic
but how did it get online for these folks to alter.

Old 10-09-07, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
but how did it get online for these folks to alter.

the guy that altered it, took it with his camera phone, prob went home and D/L it to his comp altered it and hosted it off the forum

twelvepole, I am orig from the northern mnountains of WV

Old 10-09-07, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
If you go to the image and while the cursor is on it right click your mouse and select properties.

You will find out who is hosting the image.

Old 10-10-07, 02:10 PM
nap
If the guy that took the pic is the one that has allowed the use of it on a forum, then there is little you can do. He owns the image and as long as itis not used for commercial purposes, where you would need to sign a release for the use of your image, he can pretty much do what he wants.

It would appear the alterations are obvious so they are not meant to mislead one into believing they are true so there is little you can do about that wither.

Best advice: fuggetaboutit.

Old 11-01-07, 09:24 PM
I agree with NAP's last post

Forget about it. The law in this area is ever evolving. And unless you have Oprah's money, there is nothing you can realistically do about it.

Old 12-03-07, 10:43 PM
using your image.

Everyone has a right to protect their own likeness. But you would be able to stop this in two cases. The first case would have you proving money damages. If you can't prove that, it is a waste of time to sue, unless the theat of suit will make them stop.

The other possibity is if your cause of action falls under some strict liability theory. In such case, damages are usually statutory.

Go see a lawyer.

Good Luck!

Old 07-19-08, 08:52 AM
Search the whois database at http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx for the website. Use the administrative and owner contacts to contacts someone who owns or admins the website to get something done about it.

Do not complain about it in public on the offending website. Doing so only keeps interest alive in it.

Right click the picture on the website and select properties. This should bring up the link to the actual picture. If it's on a picture hosting site you can contact them to do something about it. If it's on a service provides website, you can contact them.

Now here's the bad news. If it's on a website where several people know you, it may never go away. Several of them may have already downloaded it onto their own Hard Drives and may eventually repost it.

Old 07-26-08, 07:16 PM
Smile Hinnie Site.... DON'T POST YOUR PICTURES>>>>>

Hinnie site.... Don't post your pictures... You never know what it being done with your picture... If you REALLY have to post a picture make it a split in several sections so it is harder to copy and paste.

On the other hand someone must have been pissed at you, to do this.

So figure out who you pissed off on line, which is really hard to do, as it could be person who just did not like your picture or thought your picture was great and would be fun to mess with. Change your ID and go on with your life.:mask: .