Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Liability for Stepdaughter's car accident

Old 10-30-07, 07:32 PM
klt

I am married to a man who has a teenaged daughter from a previous marriage who drives. She is 18 years old and is on her mother's car insurance, not ours. She has her own car that her mother gave her, so I think that the car's title is in her mother's name. My question: If she gets into an accident, can the other party to the accident try to go after my husband's and my assets? If so, how can we protect ourselves? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-07, 08:02 PM
nap
DO you mean if she is driving her mothers (her) own car or if she is driving yours?

If she is driving a car that you have no attachment to and she is not utilizing your insurance, you are safe as to any liability. If she is driving your car, there is always a possibility of getting drug into the frey, even if you bear no liability.

btw, insurance follows the car, not the driver so if she is driving your car, your insurance is who will pay, or not, not the mothers. The mothers insurance company will have nothing to do with the situation if it does not involve a car they have insured.

Old 10-31-07, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
With adequate insurance coverage, personal assets are usually not involved.

Old 10-31-07, 06:46 AM
Not your car. Not your insurance. Not your liability. Read your policy.

Old 10-31-07, 02:40 PM
nap
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
With adequate insurance coverage, personal assets are usually not involved.
It is surprising how many people have woefully inadequate insurance though. In some states, there is only around $10k to $20k of medical liability coverage required. That does not cover much at all if there is any real damage.

Old 10-31-07, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
I deal with auto insurance quite a bit in my line of work and I agree that far too many people are grossly underinsured.

Old 11-01-07, 09:19 PM
liability for car

If the facts are as you described, you have nothing to worry about. Hold any property jointly with your husband or in your name alone. And buy adequate insurance. You can buy an "umbrella" policy of a couple of million dollars for relativley very little money; a couple hundred bucks a year.

Good Luck.

Old 11-05-07, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by klt View Post
I am married to a man who has a teenaged daughter from a previous marriage who drives. She is 18 years old and is on her mother's car insurance, not ours. She has her own car that her mother gave her, so I think that the car's title is in her mother's name. My question: If she gets into an accident, can the other party to the accident try to go after my husband's and my assets? If so, how can we protect ourselves? Thanks.
This can get much more involved than just whose insurance will pay and whose car is it...IF the person was a minor.

She is not. She is 18 and responsible for her own actions. Therefore, it will fall solely on her, the insurance for the car, and the owner of the car. If you are not one of those then you will have no liability. I think that just reiterates what others have said.

Old 12-03-07, 10:36 PM
Liability for the daughter.

The simple answer to your question is nope.

Any one can sue any one however. So if they did sue you, the judge would likely dismiss any claim against you. I would then ask for your attorney fees. When it is that clear that you have no legal liability here, bringing a bogus claim against you is nothing more than harrassment. So you would possibly be able to recover monetary sancitions against both the person who sued you and his idiot lawyer.

Good Luck.