Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page > Mother In Law holding personal property and denying entry

Mother In Law holding personal property and denying entry

Old 11-02-07, 05:26 PM
Question Mother In Law holding personal property and denying entry

My Mother In Law is not allowing us to retrieve personal property stored in her barn. What can I do to get it back? She has told us she is getting a dumpster and is going to throw everything away. Help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-07, 05:43 PM
Does she live within the limits in a city/town?

I listen to police calls on my scanner and even in this small suburb at _least_ twice a day they go out and handle this exact situation. Very common. Could be as simple as a phone call to the police or sheriff and they'll "convince" her to let you remove your stuff.

If she really wants to get nasty in front of them [lie] and claim that it's not yours, then that is quite another matter.

-core

Old 11-02-07, 05:45 PM
Typically, an officer will go with you to retrieve your possessions.

Old 11-02-07, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
By all means, get the police involved to help keep order in a stuation where it obviously does not currently exist. Also, I assume you plan to never let your mother in law have this kind of control over your life again. Why would she throw stuff away instead of let people come take what's theirs?

Old 11-02-07, 06:30 PM
Thanks for advice

This is my Husband's battle, he went to get his stuff and they had some words and she got very nasty. So the assumption on our part right now is that she might not let him back on the property to get the remaining items since he could not get everything in one trip. He doesn't want to go there alone to begin with and did have someone with him at the time so there wasn't a scene.

After this, I assume we will rarely see this woman. I wonder why some people are so miserable and take their anger out on others. Life is too short.

Old 11-02-07, 07:01 PM
Misery loves company. People who are miserable want those around them to be miserable, too.

Old 11-02-07, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
She won't change, but she will drag you down with her, if you let her. Get away and stay away.

Old 11-09-07, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Typically, an officer will go with you to retrieve your possessions.
Yes and no. In the first department I worked for I did civil standy a few times. In my last one we were not allowed to do it since such situations are a civil matter until some crime is committed.

Old 11-09-07, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
In my last one we were not allowed to do it since such situations are a civil matter until some crime is committed.
Well sure it's a civil matter -- but how do you clear out the trip, DP-wise? Did you not even knock on the door?

That's why I used the word "convince" with the quotes in my first reply: Clearly a civil matter, but to avoid a return trip, some words might be said. Usually it works because the fools don't know any better.

That's assuming the party even answers the door though. When they don't, well... whole 'nother area. (Can you say "Constitution"?)

Old 12-03-07, 10:29 PM
Red face Getting your stuff

Your simple question is actually a complex one.

I assume the property got there and was stored in her barn with her permission. If you gave her any money to "rent" this space, that makes it a matter of contract and a little easier to deal with.

If you weren't paying her, it is your stuff and you have a right to get it back. If she won't give it back (allow you to retrieve it) or worse, she throws it out, she arguably has committed a conversion (again a civil matter) of your property.

The practical answer is just go get it, a self help remedy. She might then allege a trespass on your part at that point.

In any event, Judge Judy would probably grant you the right to get your stuff back, no matter what your quarell may be about. If she damages your property or you hers, the civil remedy is money damages. But unless the stuff is worth some good money, it would not be worth sueing each other.

Good Luck.

Search this Thread