Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Neighbor kid dents car -trick to collect?

Old 12-08-07, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

What if a kid throws an object at a car in a trailer court and the parents are typical trailer type who don't have any money. And it costs the nice elderly couple who live across the street $500 to fix dent.

It is common for offending family to say they know nothing about and yet the honest elderly person KNOWS who did it. Naturally the offending party has no money and want no part of this matter,and tries to tap dance around this somehow with their wit of talk, as they have often become good at that in their likely numerous confrontations during their life's journey of hopping from one trailer court to another for various reasons.

What do you do, and what kind of initial diplomacy should be used during initial confrontation?

And could the trailer court be held liable if the offending family has nothing/no insurance? Or should the trailer court simply offer payment to the elderly couple and then the trailer court tack on amount in installments to their rent and if they don't pay, kick them out? (Already make the presumption they are not willingly going to want to pay and may say something like kids have accidents)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-07, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
ecman51,

You are making some pretty generalized statements about the character, honesty and financial status of people who live in trailer courts.
Question: Does the ten years that my family has owned a two story home on a rural acreage wipe out our low moral character from having lived in a mobile home for nine years previously?

As far as the dent goes when the elderly couple sue the neighbors then for sure you would know who did it.
You would be best to mind your own business.

Old 12-08-07, 04:42 PM
This COULD be my business! I have owned trailer court for 22years and know these kind of people for 22 years, who are like the ones who just moved in. We have had dealings with them already the day they moved in and did not abide by rules! We are tired of having to take people to court over every little thing.

Therefore I was hoping for some kind of answer, from hopefully a lawyer expert, dealing with hopeful diplomatic approach where all parties concerned (the offending kid's family, the elderly couple, and my family) have best resolution.

Run ins have already occured between elderly couple and the kids fooling around on elderly couple's property and they were given warning, and now this happened, and they just MOVED here, and they are paying big rent through sub lease landlord who just pulled a real nice unit into the court and we don't want this whole thing to lead to a spiral of problems that could even result in such drastic measures resulting in perhaps sublease landlord hauling out his new units. Because his other one is just sitting here empty

We have already been on these people on carryings on in the court drive, working on their vehicle, misrepresentation of criminal backround, and loud muffler!

So we have some vested interest here at stake.

Old 12-08-07, 04:46 PM
Don't you have provisions in your lease agreement for breaking "the rules"? If you want to get rid of them that badly then why couldn't you give them notice based on that alone and be rid of them on the 1st?

I don't see why you need to get financially involved with a whole different matter. Not that you could.

Old 12-08-07, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
ecman51,.....

Question: Does the ten years that my family has owned a two story home on a rural acreage wipe out our low moral character from having lived in a mobile home for nine years previously?
My 2nd paragraph of my post I stand by my characterization of THESE people. Was not judging all, nor a given percentage of people in courts to be like them. We have good mix of people and always have of widely ranging personality and economic status.

Old 12-08-07, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by core View Post
Don't you have provisions in your lease agreement for breaking "the rules"? If you want to get rid of them that badly then why couldn't you give them notice based on that alone and be rid of them on the 1st?

I don't see why you need to get financially involved with a whole different matter. Not that you could.

SURE we could get rid of them. But then reopen an initial wound with the sublease landlord who I believe did not take our rules and enforcement as seriously as he should have (being a semi-rural operation)in the beginning, but now knows differently, and we've made the peace.

But this could reopen the wound and due to vacancy (never has had tenant in his OTHER new trailer brought in here yet that looks real nice!) yet, and yet he is responsible for paying us rent every month, so he is currently taking a loss the way it is).

Your response to my getting involved is appreciated and that is why I am posting here. To get various points of view and hopeful someone with legal mind has answer.

Old 12-08-07, 07:51 PM
nap
What do you do, and what kind of initial diplomacy should be used during initial confrontation?
You, as owner of the park, stay out of the deal. The old folks, IF they have some proof of the culprit, sue the child and the parents. (depending on state, parents may not be able to be held liable for kids actions). You , as court owner, have nothing to do with the damage.

And could the trailer court be held liable if the offending family has nothing/no insurance?
No

Or should the trailer court simply offer payment to the elderly couple and then the trailer court tack on amount in installments to their rent and if they don't pay,
You cannot legally do that. It is none of your business (legally speaking)

I was wondering. Do these folks even have a lease with you or is their only contract with the owner of the trailer? That changes a lot of things and what you can do to these folks specifically.

and if you are collecting rent from the folks living in the trailer...WHY? The owner of the trailer should be paying you rent, not the tenants of the trailer, at least that is how you should have this set up.

Old 12-09-07, 10:08 AM
The lease is with the landlord of the trailer as he is the one liable for the trailer, the property it sits on and the action of his people in that dwelling. We have supplied court rules (extensive) to both parties. State of Wisconsin lease form with provisions for any extra addendums we might have pertaining to our own rules (legal rules - we have had attorney draft our rules). [Then in turn I'm sure the landlord of the trailer has a lease with the renters in his trailer. He is a pretty big operator setting up nice trailers in various courts all over, and claims to get big bucks for his units]

The reason I started this thread is to have the heads up in advance of any possible problems from this matter, regarding all 4 parties.

The arrangement with the three parties; us, the subleasing landlord and the renters in that unit is sort of like we are the federal gov't, and the landlord of the trailer is like the state gov't, and the renter is the state citizen.

Thanks for your response.

Old 12-09-07, 11:42 AM
nap
the actual tenants have no responsibility to you as I see things. They are responsible to their LL (the owner of the trailer). The owner of the trailer is responsible to you for any rule infractions and payments so you cannot evict the tenants of the trailer. You can only evict the owner of the trailer (or in effect, the trailer itself) which often brings in an entire different set of rules. I haven;t looked at Wisconsin statutes but many states have special rules for trailers in trailer parks and what it requires to evict.

The situation you describe is one for civil court between the people who caused the damage and the injured party.

An attorney might suggest your best position is to stay out of the frey to avoid any liabilities, either in this situation or in the future (prior actions can follow you forever). What you do is up to you. If you can negotiate some sort of arrangement, that is up to you but I would suggest proceeding with caution about involvement.

best of luck to you. I understand what trailer trash can be but for contrast take a look at this park:

just one of the bunch

bet you don;t see these guys there

Oh, wait, maybe you will. Here is a better pic of her from a time not so long ago.