right on red citation amount

Old 03-31-08, 03:35 PM
right on red citation amount

A coworker of mine received a $302 fine for making a right turn at a red light because she failed to come to a complete stop prior to making this turn. At her court appearance she pleaded
guilty and, and since she had never received a traffic violation
citation before asked if the fine could be reduced. (She also thought the amount of the fine was way too high, but did not mention this to the judge) The judge said the state of Oregon did not allow him to reduce this fine. Makes me wonder how these fine amounts are determined, why some can be reduced and others not, if fines (for the same offense) vary from state to state. Any knowledge on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-08, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Fines are already predetermined and would be written somewhere. They don't just make them up on the spot. Moving violations have gotten very steep. I'm sure most cities and states have this info available online or have a downloadable form to view fine costs.
I've never heard of a fine for a moving violation being reduced. I can't imagine where you heard this incorrect info from. The only fines that are reduced are when someone has built up a bunch of parking tickets, then they'll offer a deal because the violation is not that significant.

Old 03-31-08, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Ahh well, I've had several fines reduced, of course they were in my wild and wooly pre-PC past.

First, never plead straight guilty...only "no contest" or "Guilty with explanation" (yeah, I know its not a real plea). If you plead guilty, BOOM, thats it, you say you did it.

I've had a fine (charge actually) reduced cause the Judge was amused by my explanation, and another time cause he dis-agreed with the laws wording and intent.

It depends on the location , judge, and the charge of course.

Old 04-01-08, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by frogtoes View Post
Makes me wonder how these fine amounts are determined, why some can be reduced and others not, if fines (for the same offense) vary from state to state. Any knowledge on this?
Originally Posted by Oregon Revised Statutes
153.138 Schedule of base fine amounts. The State Court Administrator shall prepare and publish from time to time a schedule of minimum base fine amounts for violations. The schedule prepared by the State Court Administrator under this section shall reflect the base fine amounts for selected violations as calculated under ORS 153.125 to 153.145. [1999 c.1051 39]
Illegal right on red is a Class B Misdemeanor. The base fine appears to be $242 and if it occurred in special circumstances like work zones, school zones, etc, then it could have been much more. Then there is court costs, etc. I think your co-worker got off light with $302

Oregon Schedule of Base Fines

Old 04-01-08, 05:29 AM
The only fine that has any adjustment is a speeding fine. The officer can write you up for lower speed thus lowering the fine.

Old 04-01-08, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies....mdtaylor, appreciate your effort finding the Oregon Vehicle Base Fine Schedule. I had no idea that some of these offenses existed and I've been an Oregon driver for 40+ years. (carrying dog outside vehicle?? hitchhiking?? failing to stop leaving driveway??) It's interesting to see that someone speeding in a school zone (going 40 mph in a 20 mph zone) has a base fine of only $206. IMHO that is more dangerous (should have a higher fine) than doing a rolling stop @ right on red (base fine $242.) The law's the law, though. With the privilege of having a drivers license, comes the duty of knowing the laws. I have printed this schedule and will give it to my coworker. What an eyeopener. A good lesson for me as well!

Search this Thread