Traffic citation:

Old 06-10-08, 07:08 AM
Question Traffic citation:

I received a ticket this morning for failure to stop at a STOP SIGN. I was coming down a steep hill and it was rainy weather&rather gloomy and there was a tall tree near it obstructing my view of it. Do I have a chance of fighting this &winning it? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-08, 07:16 AM
Traffic citation:

If you want to fight it, you could go back and take picture to show why you could not see the sign.

I have no idea of what to dispute the claim you were driving too fast for existing conditions if it comes up.

Dick

Old 06-10-08, 07:48 AM
also depends on the judge , a few years back my wife tried to fight a ticket and the Judge was a joke . I heard many people with valid cases including one guy who had a boss and three co workers testify that he was working 100 miles away at the time

"I find you committed the offense , next "

Old 06-10-08, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
I look at it this way.

If you just pay it, you pay the max fine, plus costs.

If you can take a day off to go down there, w/o losing pay, you may get it reduced or dismissed. I've had them lose paperwork, and the judge dismissed it, even though 5 seconds later they put it in his clerks hands.

Take pictures, get the weather report for that time, dress well, be neat and respectful. Make sure you know the speed limit for that area and that you were well below it due to the conditions.

Even if you are found guilty, you had your day in court, which is what you are guaranteed. Besides, it can be so much fun seeing the people that show up there and watching all the stupidity on display.

Old 06-10-08, 09:16 AM
Traffic citation

not sure the rules where you live but here in Toronto anyone can act as your agent and go to the court to fight this. They say you win or its free but really you pay them the cost of the ticket and then they fight for you. Seems stupid but things like this will kill your insurance if you ever try to switch so fight it no matter what.

I have fought and won on several tickets (through agents) where its been totally my fault. Our systems (Canada and US) are such a joke. Just do yourself a favour and fight it.

Old 06-10-08, 10:20 AM
Take pictures during the same type of driving and visibility conditions. Make some notes to help refresh your memory.

If the officer does not show up for court, then tickets often get dismissed. Scheduling a continuance may increase the chances that the officer will not be able to show on the new court date. Make the request for continuance in writing and confirm that it has been granted before not showing up.

Other tips: http://www.expertlaw.com/library/tra...tickets.html#5

Old 06-11-08, 03:16 AM
count on the officer being there. when ever they issue a ticket and show up in court that counts as over time so they get paid extra.

Old 06-11-08, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
count on the officer being there. when ever they issue a ticket and show up in court that counts as over time so they get paid extra.
Flirty1 - Where do you live? That's not the case in my area. It seems like some municipalities would be losing money whenever they write a ticket.

Old 06-11-08, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Losing money? Oh I think not. Officers are given court dates, thats what they put on the ticket over a given time frame. So they may show up at court and have written 200 tickets in the assigned time. 90% of those are already paid, some don't show, so they may deal with 5-10 people. Most places they have those days written into their schedule and OT only kicks in if they have extra hours on the street.

200 tickets at an avg of $100 each=$20,000 (just a guess on the qty)
Cops aren't that well paid.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-11-08 at 12:05 PM. Reason: bad math
Old 06-11-08, 07:00 PM
We have a kop in Wayne county, MI.
Wrote 4400 stop sign tickets last year-no one beat him in court.
$90.00 w/ 2 points on your record or $ 135.00 - no points.
The wife said the city made approx. $28000 the one day
she was there.
Overtime for the year: the kop made$26000 on top of his
65000 sal.--nice living if he don't get shot someday..............

Old 06-12-08, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
Flirty1 - Where do you live? That's not the case in my area. It seems like some municipalities would be losing money whenever they write a ticket.
michigan. when they write a ticket they get a day off from work to go to court and they get paid for that so it counts as overtime. heard it on the news.

Old 06-14-08, 01:44 PM
Everytime I've been to traffic court (not just for me, but with my kids, etc. Not like I'm habitual ) they say you can plead innocent, no contest, or guilty. If you plead innocent, a trial date will be set. So I guess here, there is more chance of the officer not showing up. The officer doesn't show on the original court date, and trials aren't heard at this date.

If you plead no contest, you can tell your story to the judge, and hope they go easy or give you a warning or something. I've seen it happen, but not regularly.

You can also bombard them with paperwork. Request info on how many tickets were issued on that stop sign that day, and over a given period. Request how many tickets that officer issued, and how many were on the sign. If it were a speeding ticket, request calibration data on the radar gun, and traffic conditions.

Alot of cities will give you the option of paying it before the court date, and it becomes a municiple code violation instead of a traffic violation. It keeps it off your record, and they don't waste time in court, though they still charge you for court costs. Only on minor violations. (almost like they're blackmailing you).

Last edited by Integrator97; 06-14-08 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo

Search this Thread