taxes

Old 08-07-08, 10:43 PM
taxes

my moms husband owes the state some money. he also owed back taxes to the IRS.Instead of getting a refund from the state the IRS took it to pay them back.Now the state says he has to pay the state back cause the IRS took the refund before the state could correct there mistake.The taxes were filed for 2007 married filing separately. They are on a very low income. She works 14 hours a week. her husband can not work and has filed for SSD income.Does my mom have to pay this or does he have to. Shes worried that if she doesn't pay it that if he goes to jail for not paying the taxas she will end up going with him. they are in michigan.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-08, 07:57 AM
No a pro what-so-ever but I do believe the SSD will be/can be garnished. The state will get their money and they sure know how to. Your poor mom! Anyway, can she help pay? I'm sure if your dad or mom calls they can arrange a monthly payment that will fit their needs until it's all paid. At least I know in CA it can work that way.

Old 08-10-08, 08:04 PM
As he did filed a return & no fraud is involved--no one is going to jail. Go to the IRS for a one - on -one. Even scumsuckers
are willing to work out a program.
Good luck.....................................

Old 08-11-08, 10:37 PM
i don't think they can touch that money. my dad called and they said if you can't make the full time payments then send in what you can otherwise if you don't your setting yourself up for them to take you real estate (they don't own any the house is a rental) so when the monthley bill comes he will just have to send in what they can.

Search this Thread