Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

expired tags ticket, registration current

Old 08-25-08, 12:14 AM

I got a "parking violation" from the city of Los Angeles for expired tags while I was out of town. My registration is current; I just hadn't put the new sticker on. (Honestly, I didn't think I needed to yet since my car was just sitting there.) Will I still have to pay the ticket?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Likely.

If you take the ticket to court with proof of registration they would probably downgrade the ticket to failing to display.

Old 08-25-08, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Where was the car parked?

Old 08-25-08, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
All depends on how the statute that was on the ticket was written. If it says invalid plates or expired registration, maybe theres a case. But if the statute says (as was mentioned) failure to display proper registration...yer prob SOL.

Happened to me back in VA, I left the non-running vehicle on the street for 1 night, right in front of my house on a cul-de-sac. Decals were sitting right on the drivers seat. Guess the police aide had nothing better to do. He checked on the computer before he wrote it. Didn't put expired plates, he put failure to display. Luckily only $25 back there. I'm sure in L.A. it's more like $100.

Old 08-25-08, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone! It was parked on the street in front of my building. I see in the comments section it says "no current proof of registration vis", so I guess it is just a failure to display ticket. (But really...you'd think they would have better things to do at 2:27AM than check the tags on parked cars.)