Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

laws regarding downloading and/or viewing movies and tv shows online

Old 10-07-08, 07:02 AM

Can anyone direct me to a place that contains the laws (federal and state included) regarding watching tv shows and movies on the internet and the penalties for breaking said laws (if they exist). I have heard alot of different things about this topic and everyone seems to think they KNOW and yet everyone has different information. I would like to find something official so that I truly can KNOW what is illegal and what is not.

Just to clarify, I am not looking for anyone OPINION on the subject, unless you can reference where you got your information.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-08, 10:47 AM
Old 10-07-08, 07:58 PM
j HOWARD

Thank you for your reply. However, the link that you provided is exactly what I did NOT want. It is an opinion of some anonymous person who has apparently no authority on the issue nor gives any reference to back up his statements. This is of little help to me.

Old 10-07-08, 08:27 PM
I think you are in the wrong place.
Start w/ the FBI--then the legal dept. of movie ind.-legal dept of the TV broadcast ind., etc.............................
Enjoy..................

Old 10-08-08, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Title 17 Chapters 5 and 11 and Title 18 of the United States Code, and of course HR2281 The Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Those are where the Federal laws are located, States have similar rules that follow Federal code, possibly not spelled out but citing US Code as a reference.

Now, that is where the laws are located. Any condensed or simplifed version of those items, will be someones OPINION of what they mean, possibly based on court rulings or past precedents.

Just type United States Code or any of the above items into a search engine. Enjoy the reading......

Old 10-08-08, 10:02 AM
Gunguy

Thank you very much. This is exactly the information that I was looking for.