Belongings from repoe'd car

Old 11-28-08, 08:07 PM
Belongings from repoe'd car

My daughter had her car repossessed a few months ago, and the tow company has all of her personal belongings. She has called numerous times to arrange getting them back, and when the company finally answers, she is told someone will call her back to arrange to pickup, but they never do. What can she do? One of the items is my grandson's safety seat, so she really needs to get her belongings back!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm no expert and don't know much about repos but I would think she would need to contact both the lender and the tow company. I would suspect the tow company is obligated to allow her no access without the lender's approval. Does the tow company still have the vehicle?

Old 11-29-08, 10:41 AM
The car was sold at auction a few weeks ago. The tow company claims that they have moved their office & her belongings are still at the old location, but they won't arrange a pick up for her.

Old 11-29-08, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Tell them you are filing a report with the police for theft if they do not set a definite time for pickup, or they can go get her belongings and bring them to the new location so they can be picked up.

They had the right to take the car, but they have to give the other stuff back, they know this. There are probably laws regarding this during repossesion of vehicles.

The more likely reason is, they no longer have everything. It has "gone missing". Seen it happen before.

Old 11-29-08, 10:56 AM
why have you waited so long ?

how long do you think the repo company should have to store her things ?

so what is she doing for a childseat in the weeks since the repo ?

Old 11-29-08, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post

The more likely reason is, they no longer have everything. It has "gone missing". Seen it happen before.
gone missing as in employee theft

Old 11-29-08, 03:22 PM
She was underemployed for some time (hence the repo), and was unable to pay the fees they were charging to "store" her things. Having been caught up in the wave of layoffs sweeping the country, I have been unable to help her financially. My mother has a seat that they have been using, but she really needs to get hers back. I have suggested to her that she file a report with her local police department, reporting her things as stolen, I was trying to get some other ideas that may help.

Old 11-29-08, 04:11 PM
I went to a garage sale once and the guy was a Repo man ,selling off stuff people hadn't picked up

as I recall he said they where allowed to charge a fee to inventory and then a storage fee after that and after a certain time frame the stuff became their property

really slimy hitting people when their down but I guess its "legal"

(BTW I didn't buy anything at that sale )