Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Having a problem with my property management company--Please help!

Old 01-17-09, 08:03 PM

I have a contract with a property management company that I've always really liked for more than one year, but they have a new employee that's not showing my rental property like he says he is. He doesn't show up for showings of the condo to potential renters..etc.

If I complain and the property management company decides to cancel my contract with them, is it legal for them to do that without notice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 10:12 PM
Read the fine print of the contract that you signed. It's legally binding. You can't cancel contract until it's expiration. Then, you can list with a realty company that will show your space and hopefully get it rented or sold as you desire.

Old 02-04-09, 08:11 AM
this is one of those nasty "in-between" cases, that is to say in between law and common sense. first, you did not say how long you have left on the contract nor how difficult it would be for you to do the showings. let's say you have only a few months left and, although it would be a PITA to do showings, you could do so in a pinch. i would consider saying nothing; doing showings; asking other owners for a new managment company to go to at the end of the year.
let's say you have a long time left and you cannot do showings. then i would see if i can get another recommended managment company lined up to take over. if that is possible, then i would do the following: notify the company of the problems you are having, and document the date and time and person you spoke with [followup with a letter]; tell them that otherwise their services are good; document by date and time any further problems with showings. if there are further problems, refuse to pay them any more money and immediately go with the new company. if they try to sue you for breach of contract, they lose. if, however, you cannot find a new comnpany, and if your call to them does not cure the problem, then you are basically screwed, and you will have to make other arrangements for showings. it's like living in a small town with one doctor and he is crappy on a few things but ok on most others.