Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page > Traffic ticket and deposition has wrong info

Traffic ticket and deposition has wrong info

Old 03-01-09, 12:41 PM

If a printout of a NY traffic ticket by a State Trooper for speeding contains the wrong license plate number on both the ticket and his supporting deposition, can or does the ticket get dismissed?

We changed our plates last June (8 months ago) and the ticket/deposition contains the old license plate number.

Amazing since he pulled up right behind us and took awhile prior to getting out of his car... the current plate was right in front of him.

What chance do I have of getting this dismissed outright?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-09, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
What chance do I have of getting this dismissed outright?
None. You were the one speeding, not the car!

Old 03-01-09, 05:37 PM

It will be unlikely you can weasel out of it.

Was your drivers license number on the printout? I imagine it was the first thing you were asked for as a form of identification otherwise you would be in jail now.

When the DL number was entered, the system may have just automatically printed out the license number first related to the vehicle and not reflecting the new number.

Since you changed you plates a few months ago, there is a paper trail for the vehicle that is geared around the vehicle VIN number, that does not change.

Dick

Old 03-02-09, 09:53 AM
i agree with the above but with on additional thought:
if your state has a point system, where a certain number of penalty points are given for a stated offence, then you may or may not be in trouble. if you are close to having enough points already, so that if you add the points from this current offense you lose your license, then i would consult with a traffic lawyer. they can work wonders, especially ifyou have some kind of mixup in paperwork. however, that costs $$$. if you are not in danger of losing your license, then better to pay the fine. [also, how much were you speeding? was it a reckless driving charge that might raise your insurance rates a lot?? maybe worth it to see a lawyer, if you can save premium money in the long run. the da's office here is not against lowering the offense for an otherwise good driver with a clean record. are you an otherwise good driver with a clean record? hmmm???].

Old 03-02-09, 12:00 PM

Good idea about the points issue. They do not like to fight if it makes their job more difficult. The police may have to take time off to appear in court and it is more work for the county/state. If you do not have a points problem, Were you way over the limit, was it understated by the officer or was it a minor violation? I would pay it, because an outright dismissal is a slap at the people that were doing their job.

I received a typical "Corvette" ticket at 9:00 AM on Sunday in Wisconsin at the end of the month (quotas). I was driving my Corvette (not even red) after pulling out of Burger King while eating my french toast sticks and having my morning coffee to get ready for a leisurely 400 miles back home to Michigan. I was passed/blown off by 3 pick-ups that were doing well over 80 in a 55 zone. I had my cruise control set at 57-58. I got pulled over just after they went by and supposedly was clocked at over 71. It was not worth fighting because I would have to be in court at 9:00 AM, which was 400 miles from where I lived. - Hotel, time etc.

I did not fight it and the trooper was probably happy because he probably would have to fight 3 locals in court and losing pay if he ticketed the locals. My insurance did not go up because of my past record.

There are places where you can get a ticket that is questionable. I knew I was in that kind of area of Wisconsin at the wrong time of the month, but I just had to accept it. - It was easier and cheaper.

Dick

Old 03-03-09, 10:38 AM
i wonder if they tabbed you because you were from michigan? seems like it, and that is not a good recommendation for wi state troopers [who i have found over the years are excellent people]. maybe you got someone green or hungover or who just got served divorce papers. in any case, your treatment was unacceptable. on behalf of our good troopers, let me apologize.
also, your advice on how to handle things was right on. to pay or not is a business type decision: cost/benefit analysis. avoid the "death before dishoner" thinking.
finally, my corvette is "arrest me red" [1964]. i've never been stopped by the police, but i try not to speed. tough doing 55-65 when everyone else is zooming right by, and as you know, we can easily do that in second gear [ i did 0-63 in first once, but only once, for obvious reasons]. jeapordy type answer: what sound would a big block gm piston make as it flies through the hood? keep the faith, bro.

Old 03-04-09, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Like others have said, you don't have a chance.

Also, cops usually get paid more for going to court, and they also have other cases they need to show up for that same day, not just yours. At least, this was the way it was when I lived in Virginia.

Old 03-04-09, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Heres a question....why are there no current or former cops on here? They could probably elaborate on some of these issues.

Old 03-04-09, 06:55 PM

I know the Wisconsin police policy on the main routes, especially when you have an out of state plate. - I now live in Minnesota again and before that, I commuted regularly from Michigan to Minnesota for 7 years. Before that, I lived in Minnesota and ran From St. Paul through Chicago or down to Rockford after running I94 or I90 (very brutal enforcement). - That is the reason I set the cruise at 58 even though I was on relatively lightly traveled through route.

I rarely see any police or people pulled over in highway 29 because it is mainly a great 4 lane route across Wisconsin for Wisconsin residents.

I have been considering getting a Green Bay Packer license plate holder or wearing a "cheese-head". They have a radio jammer at the Minnesota boarder that is in operation whenever there is a football game, so the radio goes out when you cross from Minnesota to Wisconsin (15 miles from Minneapolis and 300+ miles from Green Bay).

I guess I have been lucky because my Corvette was not red - it was Black Rose.

Dick

Old 03-07-09, 02:12 PM
You probably handed the Trooper your old registration containing your old plate info. He scanned it and thats what was put in the computer when he was "writing" your ticket. Its a technicality thats not going to work for you. If you were wrong and speeding, pay it and dont speed again. If you think the Trooper was wrong, then plead not guilty and go to court.

Search this Thread